Wrong Color Pebble Tec installed

Turtlefish

Jul 24, 2022
CA
We are getting near the end of our pool being built and the company installed the wrong color pebble tec! We wanted a plum color, and received Tahoe blue.

The pool company has offered to resolve the issue by either agreeing on an acceptable discount, or to chip it out and redo the pebble tec. If we have them chip it out, we will not be able to swim for about another month. I’m beyond frustrated, but can learn to live with the color I guess. Our pool was about $58k.

What would be an acceptable discount?

Why would it be another month? Is that how long they said you will have to wait for them to come back? You're going to have to live with the color for a long time. Maybe you could ask them to come back in the winter to redo it and that you'll withhold a portion of payment until then. My plaster job looks like Crud and the PB is supposedly going to redo it but they want to wait until winter and I didn't want to lose swim time either so I agreed to it.

What would be an acceptable discount?
I could not state an amount that will satisfy your feelings. It's simply too subjective.

I would make them offer you an amount.

Tell them they are out over $10k if they have to do a chipout/replaster and ask them how much they'd rather pay you to live with it. Not only are the materials and labor through the roof but that pushes all his other clients back too. That puts the ball in their court to make a their highest offer. If you go to them asking for $2k and they were willing to pay $7k..........

IF you do decide to change the color make sure what they are going to do is FULL chip out. Not just chipping out around the returns and such. Chip ALL of it down to the shell.

As for the color ask yourself this. Will you notice it as you float around with a drink in your hard? Will anyone else notice it as they run to jump in your pool? Is the plaster job a good one? Is the plaster color even?

IF you do decide to change it I would do as @TampaKathy suggests and make them wait until the end of the season.

How much should they give you back? I don't know. Is the color in a different price tier than the one you picked?

I have Tahoe, and from looking at photos of the plums, I can't see any difference from what my pool color ranges from day to day. Don't know all your details on which plum and what adds to it, price-wise, but in pool's water, blue is mostly blue most of the time.

As others have said, there can be a lot of variation depending on the surroundings around your pool and you likely won’t know the actual pool water color until the pebble surface is in, the water’s in and you’ve had a few weeks of different weather. For instance, we went with ocean blue which we were hoping was going to be a dark blue but with all of the trees we have around we get much more of a turquoise color unless it’s overcast.
IMG_6468 2.jpg
fortunately we love it but there can be a large colour wheel of possibilities.
if you like the current color then getting a few thousand back might be a nice bonus
thanks,

daniel.

What is the name of the Plum color you wanted? I've never seen one that looked plum.
North shore plum
Why would it be another month? Is that how long they said you will have to wait for them to come back? You're going to have to live with the color for a long time. Maybe you could ask them to come back in the winter to redo it and that you'll withhold a portion of payment until then. My plaster job looks like Crud and the PB is supposedly going to redo it but they want to wait until winter and I didn't want to lose swim time either so I agreed to it.
they said that we would have to wait about another month, i didn’t ask why. I feel like they were trying to discourage me from selecting that resolution.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues as well.

As others have said, there can be a lot of variation depending on the surroundings around your pool and you likely won’t know the actual pool water color until the pebble surface is in, the water’s in and you’ve had a few weeks of different weather. For instance, we went with ocean blue which we were hoping was going to be a dark blue but with all of the trees we have around we get much more of a turquoise color unless it’s overcast.
View attachment 439522
fortunately we love it but there can be a large colour wheel of possibilities.
if you like the current color then getting a few thousand back might be a nice bonus
thanks,

daniel.
Your pool is beautiful! The more I look at the blue color, I see that we can live with it. Just a bit disappointed since the plum color contrasted very well with the tile and trim we had selected

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IF you do decide to change the color make sure what they are going to do is FULL chip out. Not just chipping out around the returns and such. Chip ALL of it down to the shell.

As for the color ask yourself this. Will you notice it as you float around with a drink in your hard? Will anyone else notice it as they run to jump in your pool? Is the plaster job a good one? Is the plaster color even?

IF you do decide to change it I would do as @TampaKathy suggests and make them wait until the end of the season.

How much should they give you back? I don't know. Is the color in a different price tier than the one you picked?
Thank you for the advice. I’m waiting to hear back from the builder. The job appears to be a good one from what I can tell. I will notice the difference but I don’t think anyone else will :). As far as price difference I don’t think there was any.

I could not state an amount that will satisfy your feelings. It's simply too subjective.

I would make them offer you an amount.

Tell them they are out over $10k if they have to do a chipout/replaster and ask them how much they'd rather pay you to live with it. Not only are the materials and labor through the roof but that pushes all his other clients back too. That puts the ball in their court to make a their highest offer. If you go to them asking for $2k and they were willing to pay $7k..........
Thank you so much for the advice. I will ask them to make me a offer before deciding what to do. I was very upset yesterday, but not I just want to get to swimming…

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you for the advice. I’m waiting to hear back from the builder. The job appears to be a good one from what I can tell. I will notice the difference but I don’t think anyone else will :). As far as price difference I don’t think there was any.
If you never saw the plum, in your pool water, in your backyard, you really won't have any reference point. What everyone finds is that "that most important issue", color of plaster, quickly becomes the least issue, a non-issue, once their pool is full and they are using it.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.