Wrinkles

csmdew

Feb 17, 2020
Florida
Just had new liner installed but was done on rainy cool day and after filling about 15" notice a lot of wrinkles. Pool installer said it would be week or so before he can return to assess the situation and fix. Should I leave the water, lower the water or will it effect the liner that much in a week or two, thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

Fill the water to its normal level. The water weight holds the liner down.

How many gallons is your pool?

Please create your signature and tell us what type of pool you have and other details about it.

I have seen posts here where the construction experts saw pics and deemed that the wrinkles were considered normal and the water weight would smooth them out in a matter of time. If you can post yours, maybe one of them can let you know.

The water wont smooth the wrinkles out. The liner needed worked out from center to edges with an inch of water and once the liner was set and wrinkle free, the pool would be topped off. If you're not satisfied with it, dont cut the skimmer in and re do it when the weather gets nicer.

The installer already did skimmer and return by stepping down on liner at cove to stretch it out. Should mention this is the second liner in 2 weeks because installer's helper beat down on top rail too hard and cut top of 1st liner which developed a large hole. He tried to replace it on a cool rainy day and now got the wrinkles because he left before it was ready. My concern is that if I lower water again to get out wrinkles the slack in liner will cause padding to fall down again(taped at top) like first replacement did. Would it be possible to lower to about 2 inches and then work out the wrinkles without using vac behind liner and getting it acceptable. This week has to really nice days for heat and sun (76+). If only a few it would be fine but some are fold over wrinkles and some 8/10' long; plus running in different directions.

As Casey said, wrinkles will NOT work themselves out.
Another way to try and remove them is using a plunger and pull them out (so to speak).
Here's a link and I've done it and it works. You might feel silly but it feels good when the wrinkles are out. I'm not sure if 15" of water is too much but you can try it. And when the sun has been on the liner because that warms it up and makes it easier to remove the wrinkles.

And here's one just for kicks:

2 wks later and still same problem, no response from installer. How long before the wrinkles become impossible to get out, thinking of trying myself to remove but if to late now for an old man to do then I don't what to do. Any advice, thanks.

The wrinkles will never go away by themselves.
Is there still only 15 inches of water in the pool?
Did you try the plunger method before you filled it up?
Sorry if the pool is full of water, it is too late.
You'll have to live with the wrinkles.

Last edited:
Finally contacted the installer and he said coming back next week, can the wrinkles be worked out with 15" on top of liner (he said not drain any). Every site I look at says you have to drain down to 1 or 2 inches to fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.