Would you turn off your SWG to use a puck floater?

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
FC=4
pH=8 (as usual, it could be higher but I measure to 8 and use table E in the Taylor instruction manual to tell me how much MA to add after 3 drops get me to 7.6)
TA =70 (Some people say that's on the low side, I could bring it up)
CH= 300
CYA =40 (My comparator tube is looking a bit grubby. Maybe I could put it in the dishwasher?)

This is my own pool (see sig). I'm thinking with the pH up and the CYA down, would giving my SWG a much needed rest be a good idea and throwing a puck floater in the pool for a week or two until the CYA goes up closer to 70?

I can just as easily dose with MA and put a sock of CYA into the skimmer but I hae a lot of tabs.

Seems logical to me, especially since you already have the tabs.

If it makes you feel better, we are in startup mode with a new SWG pool. They are using tabs this first week to add chlorine and CYA.

Be careful turning off the SWCG. Those tablets will most likely not introduce the same amount of FC each day as the SWCG.

Using a floater with pucks is fine. TFP teaches that you should know that effects of any chemical that you add to your pool water. As long as you know how much you are using and how it will effect your chemistry there is no reason to argue against your plan. Be aware that the pucks are acidic and will likely lower your PH and TA.

I would just add some stabilizer to get up to CYA 60-70. Your FC of 4 is fine for SWG at CYA 60. Add a bit more LC if your CYA gets to 70 for FC of 5.

I don't get the SWG needing a rest. What % are you running the SWG? It gets a rest every off part of the % cycle.

I could add the liquid although I usually save that for above ground vinyl pools or pools that are at zero. The granular cya is considerably cheaper.

My idea behind using the tabs was just because my pool always wants muriatic acid and this week it also wants stabilizer that I could kill two birds with the one stone and float a puck or two. Swg is at 30%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.