Would you buy...

tabitha_599

Jun 18, 2019
Tennessee
a used robot cleaner if they were willing to put it in your pool and verify it works? Our pool less than two months old and we definitely want a cleaner but I've been holding out trying to save up some cash for the purchase. Someone local to us posted a Dolphin Premier with caddy for $350. I had been considering the S200 from Marina with no caddy for $699. The seller said they got rid of their pool so I'm guessing they used it in an ABG. Anyway, I asked if they'd be willing to bring it to my home for a test drive and they said yes. What do you think? Is it still a bad idea?

Anything bad I should know about the Premier? I know the filter system is a little different than the S200.

Tabitha,

I just swapped out my 5 year old Premier for an S200... I moved it to a rent house pool a few months ago and it is still working fine.

I have bought several used older Dolphins over the last 10 years, but did so with the idea that I was in Las Vegas and the results would be like a roll of the dice. :mrgreen:

Robots tend to work or they don't... If the seller will put it in your pool and let it run a full cycle, then I would feel pretty comfortable buying it.

After 5 years, my Premier looks like it is five years old.. The color has faded, the white foam climbing rings have fallen off and the tracks are worn down.. That said, it still works just fine.

The S200 is better because it has a top loading and bigger basket and cleans the waterline tile better. But, as long as you do not get a lot of large leaves, then the Premier is a great robot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If the people seemed trustworthy, i would probably buy it if it was relatively new. If it had been used for 5 seasons already, it wouldnt be worth the half price sale.

Buy new through a reputable company and possibly pay in for an extended warranty. I bought a dolphin for one of my pools on Amazon with a square trade warranty. It now has bumper to bumper 5 years. To buy used is a gamble for how long it'll work. Then $350 becomes expensive and useless and at the end the new robot is more expensive by what you paid for the used.....

My mother in law is a hardcore extended warranty person. I am a hardcore go with the odds person. Just like everything else, personal preference plays a big part but consider this : When we bought my house it was from the proverbial little old lady. All the appliances were old and died very soon from having family use again. Around the 10 year mark it was time to replace them all again. So I saved 2 warranties each on washer/drier/stove/fridge/dishwasher at a cost of around $300 each time. We have bought 4 vehicles in that time with a savings of around $2500 each. Plus many tablets/ TVs and anything else that we bought from Best Buy in 15 years. The way I see it I am up well over $15k in warranties I didn’t buy and can just replace a dud and still be really far ahead of the game. Extended Warranties exist for the slim percentage of defective devices that fail between 1 and 3-5 years. The overwhelming majority don’t fail in that time. If you have one of those rare problems you feel great if you have the warranty but overall you lost out big time. Just my $.02

Reactions: Bama Rambler
Our brand new GE front load washing machine needed repairs (HUGE repairs...something about the drums, two guys needed to fix it...still waiting for that to happen) the day before the warranty ended. We got the extended for 5 years on the unit for a total cost of ~$400. YMMV.

Reactions: Newdude
Our brand new GE front load washing machine needed repairs (HUGE repairs...something about the drums, two guys needed to fix it...still waiting for that to happen) the day before the warranty ended. We got the extended for 5 years on the unit for a total cost of ~$400. YMMV.
Of course you can win on one or two purchases. I was talking of the amount spent total for all of your purchases. It will never break even.

And even then, if it helps you sleep better than you make your educated decision and enjoy the sleep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My mother in law is a hardcore extended warranty person. I am a hardcore go with the odds person. Just like everything else, personal preference plays a big part but consider this : When we bought my house it was from the proverbial little old lady. All the appliances were old and died very soon from having family use again. Around the 10 year mark it was time to replace them all again. So I saved 2 warranties each on washer/drier/stove/fridge/dishwasher at a cost of around $300 each time. We have bought 4 vehicles in that time with a savings of around $2500 each. Plus many tablets/ TVs and anything else that we bought from Best Buy in 15 years. The way I see it I am up well over $15k in warranties I didn’t buy and can just replace a dud and still be really far ahead of the game. Extended Warranties exist for the slim percentage of defective devices that fail between 1 and 3-5 years. The overwhelming majority don’t fail in that time. If you have one of those rare problems you feel great if you have the warranty but overall you lost out big time. Just my $.02
I agree and keep the extra cash in my pocket on most offers I get but here with the robot there are lots that do go bad with them and I'm not the only one who uses it as it depends how it's handled. In this case it's too many know it alls and used every day for hours. That's why I see it making sense with this purchase, otherwise you make more then. 02.

Reactions: Newdude
I agree and keep the extra cash in my pocket on most offers I get but here with the robot there are lots that do go bad with them and I'm not the only one who uses it as it depends how it's handled. In this case it's too many know it alls and used every day for hours. That's why I see it making sense with this purchase, otherwise you make more then. 02.

I choose to loose money on 4 cellphone insurances. It costs me more but only a little per month instead of $1200 tomorrow cuz somebody dropped a phone, or the kids lost got stolen at school. Do whatever makes you feel better with any of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.