Would like to add a Pentair Gas Heater in combination with my heat pump .

Page 7 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ump-installation-and-users-guide-en-fr-sp.pdf shows HP then Gas Heater after filter.

From Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump - Further Reading

UltraTemp and MasterTemp Heaters Together
You can have both a Pentair MasterTemp gas heater and a UltraTemp Heat Pump on a pool. They are plumbed in line and hooked up to the IntelliCenter via RS-485 cable. In the programming you have a choice of heaters for your spa and/or pool.

The automation is supposed to regulate temperature via the heat pump 1st - if it can not maintain temp it reverts to the gas heater. But after that it does not go back to the heat pump to maintain. You have to switch it manually

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcaveman
I would put the gas heater after the heat pump.

I would run the heat pump in standalone mode on its own temperature sensor.

I would run the gas heater from the automation. Put the automation temperature sensor before the heat pump.

That way both can run at the same time if you want or you can turn off the gas heater if you only want to use the heat pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.