Wiring SWG Transformer To Pool Pump Relay When Heater Is Wired There Too?

Dec 11, 2016
Fountain Hills, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Installing new AquaPure 1400 in an AquaLink RS control box. Instructions say to connect SWG transformer (it must weight 25 lbs!!!) to 240v pool pump relay. That makes sense as it will only run when pool pump is on. But my pool heater (standard Pentair gas unit) is already taking up the other side of the 240v load lugs. It seems it's a good idea to synch the pool heater with the filter pump too (ok, makes sense, heater only runs when pool pump is on).

But how do I (mechanically/physically) hook a third 240v load on this relay? Is that really a good idea? What if I have all three going at once? Will that overload the 120v lines coming in? Will it burn up the relay itself? And if all that is ok, how do I physically hook the third wire in? Is there a special lug I can screw into the current lug spot that adds a third wire spot?

This is not my box but similar 240v relay with wires on both sides of lugs. How do I get a third wire on there?
1652572396645.png
All ideas and work arounds welcome.

Thanks,

Ken

Wire nut the wires to the SWG and heater together with a short pigtail and connect the pigtail to the LOAD screws.

It is poor practice to put more then two wires under one screw.

Ken,

The only thing that is drawing any real current is the pump, the heater and SWCG don't use a lot of current.

I assume this is a gas heater and not an electric heat pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So having all three on one relay is not going to overload the line wires or the relay itself?

What is the amperage of the pump CB?

What does the pump motor data plate say the amps required are?

What are the amps from the heater and SWG?

If they all total less then 80% of the CB amps then you are good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.