North NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'm going to be converting over to salt during the winter season, plan is to replace my Hayward 1.5hp single speed pump with a Circupool 1.5hp vsp and add a Circupool rj-60 SWG.

I currently have a mechanical timer controlling pump run time and will be using the same setup for the new pump and SWG. I spoke with tech support at Circupool and they said it was fine to have the SWG be constantly powered and use the flow switch to control when the cell was on or off. This is somewhat contrary to what I have read which is the SWG should only be powered on when the pump is running.

Either way it's a fairly simple install but it would save a few steps to just plug in the SWG and not have to wire it in to the timer. Any reason why I shouldn't wire the system up as per Circupool recommendation?

This can happen to any cell that is powered without water flow If the flow switch fails closed...

Be safe and power the cell off when the pump is off.

Yeah I just saw that thread after I posted, seems to be a pretty good reason to keep the cell powered down when not in use!

Dave,

I installed a Circupool RJ30+ six month ago overall I'm very pleased with the unit and support from Circupool. I was also faced with the same question and the same answer from Circupool. The flow switch is very simple and is probably very reliable. But the consequences of failure are potentially so catastrophic that I'd never rely on a single point of failure for this event. Do the little extra wiring and then enjoy your salt pool. We are thrilled with ours!

Chris

Reactions: Dave_NJ
If you have a timer controlling your pump circuit breaker, you can wire the SWG and the pump on the same Breakers. The timer will shut them both off that way. If the pump has continuous power then you need another timer.

Dave,

I installed a Circupool RJ30+ six month ago overall I'm very pleased with the unit and support from Circupool. I was also faced with the same question and the same answer from Circupool. The flow switch is very simple and is probably very reliable. But the consequences of failure are potentially so catastrophic that I'd never rely on a single point of failure for this event. Do the little extra wiring and then enjoy your salt pool. We are thrilled with ours!

Chris

Glad to hear you are happy with the product, really looking forward to installing mine and thanks for the feedback!

If you have a timer controlling your pump circuit breaker, you can wire the SWG and the pump on the same Breakers. The timer will shut them both off that way. If the pump has continuous power then you need another timer.

Pump is wired into the timer, I am just going to tie the SWG and new pump into the same terminals on the timer so they both turn on simultaneously

One of the Circupool VS pumps has an internal relay to control the SWCG. Might want to look into that.

Pump is wired into the timer, I am just going to tie the SWG and new pump into the same terminals on the timer so they both turn on simultaneously
You should not wire a VS pump that way. VS pumps should get continuous power to them and use the onboard scheduler for pump run times.

*makes my usual vote for 24/7 runtime*
Never have to modify schedules
Never need more skimming
Save money on electric VS running higher speeds for shorter periods
Pump and SWG can be wired together on timer that doesn’t shut off.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the Circupool VS pumps has an internal relay to control the SWCG. Might want to look into that.

I asked the tech about that and was told this pump doesn't have a relay. Maybe he was wrong, will find out when the pump is delivered.

You should not wire a VS pump that way. VS pumps should get continuous power to them and use the onboard scheduler for pump run times.

I was wondering about that, thank you for the information. If the pump is powered on full time should I just wire the SWG into the mechanical timer? I would plug the pump into an outlet (outlet constant power) and the SWG would be the only equipment on the timer

I believe it is the larger VS pump they sell that has the relay. The larger VS pumps are the best deal anyway as they are quieter and you can pump at low rpm.

Your plan to direct wire the VS pump and use the timer for the SWCG is fine.

I believe it is the larger VS pump they sell that has the relay. The larger VS pumps are the best deal anyway as they are quieter and you can pump at low rpm.

Your plan to direct wire the VS pump and use the timer for the SWCG is fine.

I was on the fence about going with the larger pump because I wasn't sure the $300 upcharge would be worth it. I'm not too concerned about noise but if it really would be the better solution I have no problems upgrading, especially if it comes with the relay to tie in the SWG.

You’ll recoup your $300 in energy savings in a few seasons. After that it will be making you money.

Reactions: Dave_NJ
I personally think the larger VS pumps are better. I have one for my small pool. Of course I have an integrated spa so it handles that with ease.

With your small VS, you will need to pump at 1750 rpm or higher to close the flow switch on the SWCG. With the bigger VS pump, it will be close to 1200 rpm.

VS pump controllers are to be powered continuously. You use the scheduler in the pumps controller for timing the pump runs.

If you power the pump through a timer, you are removing the power when the timer trips off. And you will not be able to use the controller on the pump.

Well yeah other than the obvious but you make it sound like bad things will happen if my VS isn't constantly powered. I let the timer run the VS which always defaults back to it's schedule when power is restored. When and if I get a SWG then I'll let the timer run it and direct wire the VS and set it to run 24/7.
You make it sound definitive that the power should always be on for the VS with out really saying as to why. Obviously if there's no power to the unit then the controller won't be powered but why is that a "bad" thing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.