Wiring 2 speed pump capacitor

Willow73

Jul 7, 2022
Los angeles
Hi experts,

I have an old (13 years) Tristar 2 speed pump. Not a VS. The capacitor has 3 poles. Black (Common), white (herm) and green (fan). There are 4 wires (red, black, purple and a red/white wire) coming out of the pump. can anyone help me with the connections for the capacitor?

The old capacitor is the exact same capacitor as this one. I was incredibly stupid and in my haste of being upset about the capacitor dying I removed it without taking pictures. Trust me I’m kicking myself over and over again for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this the correct label?

It shows one speed?

View attachment 433367
Maybe not. It was rebuilt last year. But the pump has run fine all summer and I wired it with the new capacitor and it starts up fine. If I could just rewire the capacitor in the same way as it was I’m pretty sure all would be fine. When I put the new capacitor on the pump started up right away but when it goes in the low speed I’m worried it might be getting too much juice from the capacitor because it’s wired wrong

Maybe not. It was rebuilt last year. But the pump has run fine all summer and I wired it with the new capacitor and it starts up fine. If I could just rewire the capacitor in the same way as it was I’m pretty sure all would be fine. When I put the new capacitor on the pump started up right away but when it goes in the low speed I’m worried it might be getting too much juice from the capacitor because it’s wired wrong
And it runs in high and low speed modes

So, this morning selected Low Speed - which starts the 3 minute run of the High Speed prior to shifting to Low Speed. The High Speed did NOT start, but I let it time out and start on low speed. Operates fine on Low Speed.

I think quickly reset it to High Speed and it shifted to High Speed, I am assuming because the motor was already running and did not need the boost from the capacitor.

The capacitor has four wires, I am, again, assuming one set of two to Low Speed and one set of two to High Speed?

Capacitor marked: 25 + 10 uF +/- 6% 350VAC/B
1657305518266.png
1657305534441.png

1657305816405.png
Here is a picture of my 2 speed Hayward if this helps. Note the relay...is yours similar?
1657305989504.png
Looks like Black goes to Herm, Brown and Orange to Common and White with red stripe goes to Fan.

Hayward Tristar 2-speed pump capacitor wiring.

Hayward Tristar two speed pump capacitor wiring.

Hayward Tristar two-speed pump capacitor wiring.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.