Wire Size

Jul 15, 2018
Alabama
Hello ,
ive just brought a 24Ft round pool that holds about 13000 gal of water. With
1.5 HP
electric light
aqua tool pool chlorine generator (120 vac)
automatic timer
my question is this
what size wire would I need to run about 1 ft under ground 80ft long, to power everything,
If there is anything else you can think that I would need to get please let me no

Welcome to TFP!

Electrical code for pools is fairly complicated and is a challenge for most professionals.

Wire buried a foot deep is not compliant with that code.

I’d recommend hiring an electrician.

You can use stranded copper wire #10 as noted above. Normally buried 2 feet underground in grey pvc conduit.

To pull the wire after installing the pipe use a shop vac and a small string. Tie a small piece of plastic to the end of the like from a store bag then suck that through your pipe.

Tie the string to the wires and pull them through.

Please make sure the pool and equipment is properly grounded.

Hello ,
ive just brought a 24Ft round pool that holds about 13000 gal of water. With
1.5 HP
electric light
aqua tool pool chlorine generator (120 vac)
automatic timer
my question is this
what size wire would I need to run about 1 ft under ground 80ft long, to power everything,
If there is anything else you can think that I would need to get please let me no
It would be impossible for anyone to answer this question. Without the amperage for the equipment you are planning to use

You can use stranded copper wire #10 as noted above. Normally buried 2 feet underground in grey pvc conduit.

Yes conduit is the best solution. AND you can pull some other wires in if you need them. I added a small control cable (5-#18 from Home Depot) later for the chlorine pump control etc. Will add some 12V lights soon.

See:
PoolConduit.jpg

The one on the right is my Pool conduit. All those pull boxes and "sweeps" (That a 90 degree at the bottom) are easy to assemble with PVC cement. The 'wire' that is zip-tied to the outside of the conduit is the #8 bare copper grounding wire from the pool frame and pump ground point and metal ladder ground points to the building grounding conductor.

And the wires are protected well.

direct burial wire is 24" deep to meet code and wire in conduit is 18"deep. if you dont know what your are doing and are confident get an electrician, someone getting shocked and maybe killed isnt worth it, we are talking electric and water here. you would need to list your equipment specs to get any real answers. Id be happy to help you and give you the info you need but please realize it may be out of your league

The 'wire' that is zip-tied to the outside of the conduit is the #8 bare copper grounding wire from the pool frame and pump ground point and metal ladder ground points to the building grounding conductor.

That bare copper wire is NOT a ground wire ... it is the BONDING wire.

It is this incorrect terminology that perpetuates the bonding confusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.