New Pool Build in Dallas, TX - Feedback on design, equipment, etc. appreciated!

DallasTX

Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello everyone - I have been reading through numerous TFP forfums for the last several weeks in anticipation of starting my own "pool journey." I welcome any and all thoughts and feedback on the information below (as well as responses to my questions). This will be my very first pool and, while I feel like I am at at least novice-level knowledge now after spending so much time on this site, I know I still have a lot to learn.

We have selected a PB and are currently waiting for the city permit to be issued. Once that is complete, we have been told that the dig can be scheduled within one to two weeks and then we would be off and running. Assuming this post gets some traction, I would love to keep providing updates/pictures/etc. as the process goes along.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Pool size: 35’ 6’’ x 14’ 6’’ (perimeter 100’)
Area: 515 sq. ft.
Gallons: ~18,500
Pool Profile: 3.5” x 6” x 6”
No spa
Pool finish (not finalized): “Smooth exposed Pebble Interior finish using a Base Color”

PLUMBING
  • 2.5” or 3” suction lines based on pump size and distance requirements
  • FIVE 1.5” directional water returns fed by a 2” header line.
  • TWO pool skimmers with hydrodynamic weirs using a 2” suction line valved independently with a Jandy Neverlube valve
  • Install 32” AquaStar Schedule 80 Virginia Graeme Baker Safety Act channel main drain
EQUIPMENT
  • Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter
  • 2.7 HP Jandy Variable Speed ePump VSSHP270AUT/JEP2.0 w/ extra-large basket (SEE QUESTION BELOW)
  • Aquacal SQ166R Electric Heat Pump/Water Chiller
  • A & A Automatic In-Floor Cleaning System with five-port water valve
  • Jandy AquaPure salt-water chlorine system
  • AquaStar ChemStar In-line Chlorinator Model # CH100
  • Computer Controller - Jandy IQ904P for pool only
  • Jandy Infinite Watercolor Nicheless 15W lights (THREE)
  • Infinite Watercolor 300W transformer
  • Concealed over-flow line to drain excess water
  • Pool fill-line attached to skimmer and connected to hose bib with backflow prevention
  • Jandy Infinite Watercolor Bubblers (THREE)
  • 1 HP Jandy FloPro FHPM1.0 Pump (Booster Pump)
QUESTIONS
  • After doing some of my own research, it seems like VSSHP270AUT Jandy ePump may be the prior generation of ePump, replaced by the VSSHP270DV2A (which is what is currently listed on Jandy’s website). My PB assures me that I will be getting only the “latest and greatest,” and I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about this.
  • Our pool will have a LOT of leaves fall into it. Are there any changes to the build that I should make to account for this? Note that we do not want to do an auto cover, and I plan on manually covering it during the fall when most leaves come down, but we have several giant trees around the pool that inevitably shed leaves throughout the spring and summer months as well.
  • Other than the added cost, is there any reason not to include an in-line chlorinator (given that we will have an SWG)? I’ve seen a lot of comments saying it is ultimately useless and unnecessary, but just curious as to whether it could independently cause issues.

Attachments

• Pool Diagram.JPG
    Pool Diagram.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for posting the info and keep all questions on this thread to be consistent on the overall construction.

After doing some of my own research, it seems like VSSHP270AUT Jandy ePump may be the prior generation of ePump, replaced by the VSSHP270DV2A (which is what is currently listed on Jandy’s website). My PB assures me that I will be getting only the “latest and greatest,” and I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge about this.
Maybe @PoolGate can provide some insight to this.

Our pool will have a LOT of leaves fall into it. Are there any changes to the build that I should make to account for this? Note that we do not want to do an auto cover, and I plan on manually covering it during the fall when most leaves come down, but we have several giant trees around the pool that inevitably shed leaves throughout the spring and summer months as well.
A cover is the best choice to keep leaves out. Adding a automatic cover now is the best option if you have the $$$.
Suggest the skimmers, especially the one on the right side, be farther up and more diagonal from the one on the lower left. Alternately, put both skimmers on 1 side and the returns opposite to push floating debris to the skimmers.

BTW - lights should be on the side nearest the house or patio to point away from where you are sitting.

Other than the added cost, is there any reason not to include an in-line chlorinator (given that we will have an SWG)? I’ve seen a lot of comments saying it is ultimately useless and unnecessary, but just curious as to whether it could independently cause issues.
Do not install the inline chlorinator. I took mine out. Just purchased a floater (under $20) to add pucks if you need to for winter time when SWCG not operating due to cold water.

Regarding the SWCG - ensure you have the AquaPure 1400 which is rated at 40k gals. The SWCG should be rated 2x your pool volume. That is the largest SWCG made by Jandy.

Computer Controller - Jandy IQ904P for pool only
EDIT - This IQ904P is a package of RS automation and antenna with AquaLink system.
Maybe @PoolGate has more info on this

Last edited:
Dallas,

My suggest is to not get an In-Floor-Cleaning-System.. (IFCS) Why do you think you need one?

But.. If I can't talk you out of one, then at least get your system plumbed so that you can shut if off and still run the pool.

Many IFCS send all the water back to your pool via in-floor heads.. They do not have wall returns, which in my mind are very important when you have leaves.

When things go wrong with the IFCS your whole pool is down, unless you have the ability to shut the IFCS off. If you don't request it, it won't be done.

You will never need the tab feeder.. I have three saltwater pools and none of them have tab feeders.. I have never needed them in over 10 years.

Good job on getting a large VS pump and a large cartridge filter.. They will help make your saltwater pool very easy to care for..

Good luck with your pool build..

Jim R.

Haha, Jim was typing over me…I didn’t see his comments until posted.

Hey Dallas….don’t know if you are set on the IFCS, but here is a thread where I gave some recommendations. The same would apply to your system (that system has waterfalls which don’t apply).

If you go with an IFCS you need a special drain that allows debris removal….I recommend the A&A channel drain. Also you need to ensure that your computer/automation system can control your required actuators (on 3-way Jandy valves) for IFCS cleaning as described in that other thread.

Heaters can cause problems for IFCS cleaning as the heater acts as a gpm/psi limiter when the water flows through it on its way to the 5-head A&A distributor. Sometimes this can be compensated for by running your pump at higher RPM (possibly max). Personally I would put a bypass on the heater which can also controlled by an automated actuator. That gets a bit more complicated. The pool builder will probably not worry about any of this.

What’s the booster pump for?

Reactions: HermanTX
Hey neighbor, this post is good place to start:

Have you thought about shortening the ledge/steps/bench to create a swim lane?

Pool Profile: 3.5” x 6” x 6”
I would suggest 4' for the depth of the shallow end. 3.5' is just a bit too shallow. 6' is an awkward depth for the deep end since it's too deep for people to stand but too shallow for diving, etc. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

Aquacal SQ166R Electric Heat Pump/Water Chiller
Make sure they install an external bypass.

A & A Automatic In-Floor Cleaning System with five-port water valve
I wouldn't recommend an IFCS. Get a robot for a small fraction of the cost, and you'll have a cleaner pool too.

AquaStar ChemStar In-line Chlorinator Model # CH100
Delete this. Use a floater if you ever needed to use tabs.

1 HP Jandy FloPro FHPM1.0 Pump (Booster Pump)
I would highly recommend a robot instead of a pressure side cleaner.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I can tell you have been reading! Well done!

Is that a main drain I see on the bottom of the 6' area? With all of your leaves you need one to make sure you pump does not starve if the skimmers get full of leaves during a big fall time. I would not get an infloor system with as many leaves as you say you have. They don't do real good with leaves. They are more for dirt and such.

This is a good recommendation by others if using a IFCS
FIVE 1.5” directional water returns fed by a 2” header line.
Please clarify with the PB - I interpreted this statement as there is a plan to have wall returns in addition to the IFCS.
Wall returns are important to push surface debris to the skimmers.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I believe this - VSSHP270AUT/JEP2.0 - is the older pump. You also do not need the JEP as Aqualink will be the control panel. I'm pretty sure the newer pump has a built-in relay for the SWG.

+1 make sure you are getting the 1400 series AquaPure. Maybe get him to throw in a free extra salt cell. They last around 5 years or so and are expensive. Never hurts to ask!

For trees - make a decision to redo your landscaping around not so many trees with leaves. You will not regret it. We did not and we do regret it.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.