Winterizing the main drain line!

Hey Onelove and Welcome !!!

Is your drain line at the equipment pad or in the skimmer ?

If at the equipment pad, you close the diverter valve while blowing to 'airlock' the pipe.

If it's in the skimmer you need to get foam rope down the hole to allow for ice expansion. Or you'd have to build a screw in pipe extension with a lockable valve to do the same. A 1.5 inch + pipe will fill back up in a flash and you don't stand a chance to remove the hose and install a plug in that time.

Hi newdude , appreciate the response,
I have three lines at the pad - skimmer, main drain , vacuum- all with valves at the pad. Blown at the returns and skimmer lines,attached plugs and gizmo along with anti freeze. Blown out the main drain line , bubbled up and then shut off the valve. How will airlock prevent water from entering the pipe at the bottom of the pool again?
regards

How will airlock prevent water from entering the pipe at the bottom of the pool again?
So stick your finger over a straw and dunk it in a drink. The air can't escape and will hold the water out. The plumbing under the pool is horizontal and will glug glug glug full again, but once the pipe angles upward, water won't be able to push air out of the way. Water can be in the horizontal pipe, well below the frost line, even for you in Canada. But the rest of the pipe is empty and can't freeze above the frost line. Places south of you don't even need to fully empty the pipe, just push the water down far enough that it cant freeze. For me that's about 3 feet worth of my 8 ft deep plumbing.

So stick your finger over a straw and dunk it in a drink. The air can't escape and will hold the water out. The plumbing under the pool is horizontal and will glug glug glug full again, but once the pipe angles upward, water won't be able to push air out of the way. Water can be in the horizontal pipe, well below the frost line, even for you in Canada. But the rest of the pipe is empty and can't freeze above the frost line. Places south of you don't even need to fully empty the pipe, just push the water down far enough that it cant freeze. For me that's about 3 feet worth of my 8 ft deep plumbing.
This makes absolute sense, clearly explained, i have emptied the pool below the return lines so the pool probably half full - is that sufficient or do i need to refill ?
Assuming the pool will refill probably as the snow melts and gets under mesh cover
thank you so much for this newdude, much appreciated!

have emptied the pool below the return lines so the pool probably half full - is that sufficient or do i need to refill ?
Most safety covers reccomend draining no more than 18 inches so the water will hold the weight of the snow when it comes. It will start snowing by you much sooner than it will be by me, so you may not accumulate enough by then.
thank you so much for this newdude, much appreciated!
Anytime !!! We have 15 years of over a third of a million real world members reporting what worked best about XYZ for them. You're gonna like it here. :).

And now we have all winter to teach you the chemistry. We do things alot different than most places. It's stupid easy but an assault of information so it takes a while to sink in.

Start your journey here :

How Clear is TFP Clear?
Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.