Winterizing Intellicenter Control Center - Power Off?

FunSunToronto

Jan 13, 2024
Toronto, Canada
Hi all,

I am based in Toronto, Canada where we get a fair share of cold weather and snow. The pool was "professionally" closed but I noticed the Intellicenter was left on and says Freeze Protection active. I see the breaker for the pump and other equipment turned off (So it can't turn the heater or pump on for example) but the one for the actual Panel still on.

Is there any preference on turning it off or on? I wondered if it would lose all it's settings if shut off for 3 months until it gets warm or if its better to just be off?

Its mounted to rails outside and is covered currently with a waterproof tarp but inside of that it's on which seems unusual?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated - thanks everyone :)

This is it: IntelliCenter® and IntelliCenter Lite Pool Control Systems

Welcome to TFP.

Flip the breaker that powers the IntelliCenter off. You will not lose any settings.

No reason the leave the panel powered and possibly have it damaged by a winter power glitch.

Hi all,

I am based in Toronto, Canada where we get a fair share of cold weather and snow. The pool was "professionally" closed but I noticed the Intellicenter was left on and says Freeze Protection active. I see the breaker for the pump and other equipment turned off (So it can't turn the heater or pump on for example) but the one for the actual Panel still on.

Is there any preference on turning it off or on? I wondered if it would lose all it's settings if shut off for 3 months until it gets warm or if its better to just be off?

Its mounted to rails outside and is covered currently with a waterproof tarp but inside of that it's on which seems unusual?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated - thanks everyone :)

This is it: IntelliCenter® and IntelliCenter Lite Pool Control Systems
If the power center is left powered, the internal transformer will keep the cabinet from freezing. It will actuate the circuits, but nothing will happen if the equipment has its breaker off or been removed for Winter, other than any relay will engage and the appropriate indicator will light.

If the it is powered off, it may be protected from a power surge, the memory and settings are saved by the on-board lithium battery as long as it can provide power. Not sure how the very cold temps would affect Pentair's battery life. If it does die, lithium batteries should not be recharged until the temperature gets to 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F.

A good discussion of these batteries: