Winterising the main drain when the pool equipment is below the main drain level

DragonHorse

Oct 8, 2022
Dordogne France
Hi,

I wondered if anyone can advise on this? I bought a house last year with an in-ground outdoor pool. It has a small pump room with the filter, pump and circuit breakers for the electrics. The pump is slightly below the level of the main drain for the pool.

Last year we used a company to winterise the pool but this year having successfully opened the pool on my own, I’d also like to do the closing. I haven’t had any experience of running a pool before this. I specifically asked to shadow the guy last year so I could do it myself.

In this configuration it’s easy to fully drain the skimmer lines by lowering the water level. The guy last year didn’t do anything with the main drain, just shut off the valve then drained the pump and sand filter (after having chlorine shocked the pool and running the winterisation chemicals through the system).

So the final question is, is there any way to clear the floor drain line? Most of it is obviously buried quite deep, so the main risk area for freezing is in the pump room (it’s a tiny room made of air bricks with no insulation). There were no problems this year, so maybe I can get away with it; most of the winter is above freezing but we do get some cold spells. I have been told that there have been harsher winters where the temperatures go down to -10C for a few days.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Got any pics ? Depending on the pipe orientation, you can still blow the pipe and have air trapped in it with a vertical pipe at the pad. Anything 'uphill' to the pool will glug glug and burp out as it refills with water, but the last section of pipe would stay airlocked, hopefully keeping the water below the frost line the whole way.

You could also dive down and use a rubber plug at the drain to make that line like the skimmers.

Most areas with those climate conditions would leave the pool operating year around with appropriate precautions on those few cold nights.

Got any pics ? Depending on the pipe orientation, you can still blow the pipe and have air trapped in it with a vertical pipe at the pad. Anything 'uphill' to the pool will glug glug and burp out as it refills with water, but the last section of pipe would stay airlocked, hopefully keeping the water below the frost line the whole way.

You could also dive down and use a rubber plug at the drain to make that line like the skimmers.
Sorry I missed the reply notification - I could give it a try I guess; I think I'd need to fashion some kind of plug for the compressor to make a seal so that I can blow the pipe. I've attached some pics of the pipework

pool1.jpgpool2.jpgpool3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.