Winter Testing

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Does this make sense? I closed the pool. CYA of 70 and FC was about 22. No Polyquat.

I'm thinking that I can (should) test the water throughout the winter as long as it’s not frozen. Thinking every week or every other week. I would just pull a bit of water using the pvc pipe/straw method and testing it with my OTO kit. If the chlorine looks anywhere near the max color on the OTO test, then run the DPD test and add chlorine as necessary. Of course I have no pump so I’d just pour in the chlorine and use my brush to swish the chlorine around in the area I put it in.

Am I over thinking this? Should I just relax and let whatever happens in the winter happen and deal with it when I open the pool, or is something like this worth it to not have a green pool come spring?

With an FC of 22, if the water is constantly cold below 60 degrees, you should be fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Relax. :cheers: Just open as soon as you can.

Now if curiosity has simply gotten the better of you around Jan-Feb, you don't have an ice shelf to deal with, and wish to try and grab a water sample for the FC, you can, but without some circulation keep in mind it may not be accurate. If you had a sump pump you could drop in to let things mix a little along with the brushing.

I'd leave well enough alone. Nothing major is going to happen if the fc gets low. More importantly in April or May is when you can start to think about it. As long as the water temps are 60 and below there's nothing to worry about.

Sounds more like I should be dropping a thermometer in there until October. It was mid 60’s when I closed it. We’ve had an unusually warm week this week, but the chlorine is very high so that’s good. Sounds like the basic plan is to shock it to get you into the consistently cold weather and then get on it early in the spring before it warms up.

Sounds like the basic plan is to shock it to get you into the consistently cold weather and then get on it early in the spring before it warms up.
You got it! :goodjob: We'll blame the warm weather on COVID. :)

• Haha
Reactions: pb4uswim and Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.