Winter stagnant pH no cover

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
Hi all

I started closing without a cover in 2021 so this is my second winter doing it this way.

The pool is clean and it's thawed right now but won't be again by tonight. My pH is 7.0, I think. That's as low as my 2006 kit goes so. I don't know if it's lower but it certainly matches the 7.0 color.

My question is is this harmful to the liner at all? I assume not but I recall too high being an issue for the liner?

I'll be putting the pump back in service soon but not yet. Once that's running I'll be able to see what happens once the water is moving again.

Normally I run 7.6 and that's what it was when I shut down. But I guess between rain, snow and ice etc it's dropped on me.

Just curious if this is a reason to panic or just ignore it until I'm running. There shouldn't be much splashing on metal right now. :LOL:

Without mixing you are likely testing the rain water on top. I messed around with mine recently and had 0 salt and 0 FC on the top, 1200 salt and 2 FC at 2 ft and 3000 salt and 6 FC at 7.5 ft.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Without mixing you are likely testing the rain water on top. I messed around with mine recently and had 0 salt and 0 FC on the top, 1200 salt and 2 FC at 2 ft and 3000 salt and 6 FC at 7.5 ft.
Really. I reached down as far as I could.....

Maybe I'll give it a mix with the net a few times and test again

Water stratifies when still. You cannot make any judgement about water chemistry until the pump has circulated water for 24 hours.

Just leave your water alone until you get your pump running.

Just filled the pool up and got the pump running today. Water temp is 47f after letting the pump run on low speed for several hours. Supposed to be low 20s here tonight but I'm not concerned with the water being that warm

Tomorrow I'll start testing the water to see where I'm at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.