Winter/Safety Cover for In-ground Pool

kgurtsak

May 29, 2019
Delaware
I have a kidney'ish shaped pool and need to get a new cover for it. for custom covers the cost goes up quite a bit compared to rectangle shaped pools. If I can get a cover that completely covers my pool that is rectangle shaped will that matter? does it have to be custom made? My gut says I would be fine but want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Capture.JPG

While we wait for an expert, I'll share my experience. I have a rectangle with steps on the side VS the 'end' my cover overhangs several feet on both sides of the steps (2ft x5ft on both sides of the steps). 8 winters later there is no noticeable difference where the overlaps are with plenty of patio rubbing/exposure. Every whiff of wind lifts the cover and when its actually windy it billows like a bunch of kindergarteners with a multicolored parachute. Yes its properly tensioned, its just huge and has some play. So anyway I dont see how having a similar rub on your inside curves would be any different than my rectangle.

The problem I see is that a rectangle placed over your pool (though the picture is a little hard to see details) would put the cover edges and anchors in some places, outside of the concrete. Anchors not in concrete don't really work that well, even though there are optional pipes you can use. Unless you set the pipes in concrete. Or your soil is like concrete, which I doubt it DE, probably more like sand. To me, you scenario calls for a custom sized cover and the cost is just the cost of doing business so to speak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.