Winter Pool Closing

Sep 16, 2018
Owasso, OK
I have not seen any mention about adding a metal remover chemical when closing the pool. Most closing kits, which I don't use, have some kind of metal remover included. Reading instructions on some closing kits it says to add metal out right before adding the cover and after back flushing. That doesn't make sense. Don't you need to back flush out the metal's? Also if I understand correctly, a metal remover and poly 60 do not work together. I usually sanitize, add poly 60, then cover. How do I remover access metal in water before closing? should this be done before slaming/sanitizing and adding poly 60 to close or not to use at all?

Welcome to the forum!
No product can remove metal from the water. It can sequester it, but to remove the metal you need to drain the water from the pool with the metal in it and replace with non metal laden water.
One exception is iron. If it is in the ferrous iron state (rust) and is visible in the water, you can filter out the iron. But that will never remove it all.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
No product can remove metal from the water. It can sequester it, but to remove the metal you need to drain the water from the pool with the metal in it and replace with non metal laden water.
One exception is iron. If it is in the ferrous iron state (rust) and is visible in the water, you can filter out the iron. But that will never remove it all.
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks you. So my question is why do all winter closing kits contain a metal out? Dolphin pools tested and said I need metal out. All summer long I have also been told my 23,000 gal pool has over 4000ppm phosphate's. My Taylor kit does not test for phosphates so I always question those stores that have tested my water. I watch and test chemicals and chlorine is always available. I have not gotten any algae this summer even with high phosphates. The pool to look and tests good to close. BTW not sure why or how my phosphates are so high in the first place. I use normal city water to fill??

Metal sequestrants and some chelators are phosphate derivatives. I only use ascorbic acid now as a "metal out" and stain treatment. Your pool won't grow algae as long as your free chlorine is in the acceptable range (regardless of phosphates).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.