Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I am tired of dealing with leaves in my skimmer and a clogged up robot so I am considering covering my pool this winter. I see a ton of decently priced covers on Amazon, but I am not sure how to go about it. I measured a rectangle both ways using the maximum dimensions of the pool and came out with 19'x38' so I am guessing a 25x45 cover should work. My issue is how do I incorporate the waterfall on the right side? Do I go over the bottom flat rock? If I go completely over the waterfall I will need a much larger cover and I am worried about the rocks tearing it up.

Also are you guys having luck using the water tubes to hold the cover down? I am not really wanting to drill (any more) holes in my flagstone, but I am willing to incorporate the pool fence somehow, as it is pretty sturdy with 58" solid stainless rods going 4 inches in the ground. If I have to used drilled anchors they need to be small. Drilling the holes for the pool fence was a beast as the flagstone sits on about 4" of 25 year old concrete. Thanks guys!1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I go completely over the waterfall I will need a much larger cover and I am worried about the rocks tearing it up.

I would go over the waterfall. I am not sure you have to completely cover the waterfall. It all depends on how you can anchor the cover to the waterfall.

Put some old folded towels or other cushioning on any sharp areas of the waterfall to keep the cover from tearing.

That an interesting idea. I am worried towels could become damp and nasty. Maybe some type of foam or pool noodles? All of the covers state they should only be secured with the water tubes. What is the problem with using adjustable bungee cords? Will the wind get under it perhaps?

I have two pointed corners on my coping that I use folded towels under my solid cover. They get wet but not nasty. When I open up the pool the towels are wet and get tossed into the washer/dryer and then folded for the next closing. I think the cold weather keeps them from getting nasty.

I think you will need to experiment to find which anchors work best for your setup.

I have a much smaller water fall but my safety cover goes under it just above the water along with straps and some plastic that kinda looks like plexiglass sections that are scribed to the rock. I think with a stock tarp style cover, you may only get 1-2 seasons out of it anyway so maybe just do your best securing it on the rocky side of the pool. Water bags and water blocks will both leak so just expect that.

Houston is not the climate to attempt to 'close' a pool. I believe you will find you will have more issues trying this.

Houston is not the climate to attempt to 'close' a pool. I believe you will find you will have more issues trying this.
Why do you say this? My main intent to is stop leaves and debris from falling into the pool. We dont freeze here so I still run the pump and manually chlorinate once the SWG stops working.

OK -- you did not state you would maintain the water chemistry. That will work, but you will find you need to remove a portion of the cover once a week or so to let the water have sunlight on it to remove CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.