Winter cover for high winds!

JennyR

Sep 1, 2019
Wisconsin
Looking to get a above ground pool winter cover that will hold in strong winds. we live on a hill and snow drifts pretty bad up here cuz of the winds. Looking for recommendations for a winter cover that will hold up. Also what size pillow do i use for a 27x54 above ground pool.

Most buy the cheapest they can find as we have seen where the higher priced ones did not last any longer than the cheaper ones :( The biggest thing is the method to hold it down. There are many who leave the pool uncovered as some covers get overloaded with snow/water/stuff and bows the sides to the pool :(

I've been an above ground pool owner for over 10 years and I stopped fighting with a pillow or inflatable object 8 years ago and have yet to see any I'll effects on my pool (which freezes solid every year). I covered my pool this year and hang bleach bottles on the outside to keep the wind from beating it up.

I've been an above ground pool owner for over 10 years and I stopped fighting with a pillow or inflatable object 8 years ago and have yet to see any I'll effects on my pool (which freezes solid every year). I covered my pool this year and hang bleach bottles on the outside to keep the wind from beating it up.

You're not suggesting they sell stuff for our pools that is totally not needed.
Are you?

I mean, that never happens and it's NEVER grossly overpriced.

Reactions: Newdude
I've been trying to decide if I really feel like pulling my stairs out of the pool or not for the winter.
I've seen many that do not and haven't had issues.
I also see many that say you must pull them out.

I'll be interested in seeing how you fare with leaving steps in.

My plastic (or whatever they're made of stairs) are definitely coming out. While the water in the pool and the water in the stairs should freeze at the same rate, I'd be worried that one or the other wouldn't and it would compromise the plastic. I don't want to risk cracked and unsafe stairs come spring. Plus it will give me an opportunity to bleach the heck out of the insides to kill any algea that might be lurking.

Reactions: Poolypool2019
Casey can you tell me what type of winter cover you have if you are happy with it? I am purchasing my first winter cover and also have a Sharkline 24' round pool. The Sharkline assembly instructions tell you to hang bleach bottles filled with sand off the sides rather than clamping anything to the pool so I have been saving those. Also is your cover mesh? Any other advice to avoid pitfalls?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey can you tell me what type of winter cover you have if you are happy with it? I am purchasing my first winter cover and also have a Sharkline 24' round pool. The Sharkline assembly instructions tell you to hang bleach bottles filled with sand off the sides rather than clamping anything to the pool so I have been saving those. Also is your cover mesh? Any other advice to avoid pitfalls?
I'm not sure of the brand. I just walked into the pool store n bought their best cover for $89.00. The had a cheaper version for $69.00. I'll probably get 3 years max out of it if I take care of it n clean it when I pull it off the pool next year. It is a solid cover. I do not use mesh covers because I dont want stagnant rain water going into my pool. I hang the jugs outside the pool from the grommets in the cover with nylon rope. Make sure your cable is tight n the cover sits on the pool evenly so one side doesn't get pulled in as rain water collects. Really, once I cover, I just let it go til spring. I've never had one rip. I've even not covered my pool and it's a job to clean in the spring. Not worth it to me but I couldn't cover it last 2 years. If you have any issues, just post n we'll get you through it.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.