east texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Severe cold is coming NE Texas way. My usual winter protocol is to run the pump overnight til the temps warms up. Not a problem except I will be out of town. so now I face a what if situation...what if the power goes off? And with that question comes the other. Should I winterize it?
I was chewing on this with @Dirk. He came up with the following suggestions:
  1. Drain the sand filter
  2. Noodles in skimmers
  3. Relieve pressure at the pad plumbing and get the water in the pipes to pool level.
  4. Remove the SWG (optional)
anyone got thoughts on this?

McLeod

I like Dirk's recommendations as well. Best to not take a chance on a power outage. That's what got a lot of people back in 2021. With cold water lowered and removed as much as possible from equipment and exposed above ground plumbing, you should be fine.

Reactions: Dirk
Is that a recent pic of your pool in your avatar? If you have hot lava pouring into your pool in multiple places, you'll be OK. ♨️

Reactions: newdude
@ Dirk. On a serious note....I've gotta drain/unplug my pump as well, si?
I would say so. The pump will trap water, so either drain it, or maybe just vac it out if you don't want to mess with the drain plugs. As wireform suggests, close everything back up in case it rains. (Or snows?!?)

Don't forget to shut off all the breakers to the pool equipment, before you start the draining, and then leave them off for your time away.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.