Will Solar Cover eliminate/reduce need for chlorine stabilizer?

Mike in CA

Aug 18, 2011
Arizona
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Title says it all. Cover will be a 16 mil clear bubble cover on a roller that I replace every 2 years. It might go 3 years but then I run the risk of it deteriorating and making a mess. $130 is a cheap price to pay to keep our pool in the 80's for 2 years.

More info, I have a 15,000 pebble tech 7 year old pool that I have been maintaining with the BBB method for 6 years. We keep the pool covered except when we swim, which is a few times a week. I have no problem adding chlorine after a swim (and pool exposure to sun) just wondering if I can use the stabilizer at the lower side of scale since I will have a cover on most of the time.

Thanks,

Mike

I have done some searches here and on google but cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

The answer is "yes". The caveat is knowing that pools like to "breathe" so you can't keep the cover on ALWAYS..........use judgement. (It sounds like you have already managed that successfully)

I would think that you could cut your CYA down to 20-30 ppm and run your FC not more than 2-3 ppm.

Is your water staying pretty clear and within TFP guidelines? It sounds like it is.

Dave, I was not aware of the need to 'breath' but the pool is about 90% covered, maybe that has helped.

After I got off the LPS roller coaster of chemicals and shock and awe treatments I find it very easy to take care of the pool. Once I get it 'set up' it just seems like it is a gallon of chlorine a week, give or take, and every week or two I do a full chemical test to see if I need to balance anything which is usually minor. I am probably on the low end of pool maintenance but we have had a sparkling pool for 4 or more seasons with just the BBB, and really just the Bleach after initial set up. Granted it is usually just my wife and I so the pool sees a low useage.

Thanks for the reply, will be nice to keep the FC down low. A salt system is not in the budget this year but maybe next!

Mike

We swim 1-3 times a week through the season. If we aren't swimming my cover stays on. I've never found a need to let the pool breath any more than when we go swimming.

My better half likes the pool warm and the cover keeps it that way.

My chlorine usage is low for my size pool because of the time it's covered. I stay between 30-50 for cya. I start the season high and it tends to come down during the season from rain.

Well, CJadamec's situation sounds very similar and you are both being successful in your management. I certainly wouldn't change anything other than letting your FC and CYA come down to the ranges I suggested.

Just how long a pool needs to "breath" would be impossible to pinpoint. UV from the sun is especially helpful in keeping your CC's down so remember to let a little sunshine on it from time to time and enjoy your swim season!!

I'm in Central California so similar weather I'm guessing. In the two years we've had the pool we've kept a solar cover on it in the summer. Our CYA was sitting around 40-50 and I found I didn't have to do much other than add about half a quart to quart of bleach every night. I never really did anything intentional to let it "breathe", just regular usage does that. But on the days that I would fold back the cover after not using it for a few days I could literally see the concentration of something (off gassing?) in the water. Kind of the way it looks when you first pour chlorine in. I run the pump a few minutes before getting in to stir stuff up.

yep same here. pool is covered unless swimming is happening.
It's worked well for me.

Going on year 4 for this cheap thin bubble cover I have.
I noticed a few bubbles shed off near one end of it, so this may be the last year for this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.