Will slamming ever complete?

rp219

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
Hi. I'm semi-new here. I found y'all at the end of last summer, and started using your advice on keeping my pool clean.... first time posting. I'm in Southern Alabama, where the weather is already hot. Over the winter, I abandoned the pool, and just let it sit exposed and green. With that being said, I've followed the advice for turning it from green to clean.
It's a beautiful color. Only loosing 0.5ppm FC overnight....if that on some nights. All chemicals are testing right, where pool math says they should be. It has not cleared any more in a week. The pump has been running 24/7. I scrub once and vacuum once per day, even though there is nothing to really vacuum... only tiny bugs that commit suicide daily. I backwash the pump daily. My OCD is taking over, and I'm checking the levels roughly every 2-3 hours.... the sun is killing the FC. I even had the dreaded pool store check my water to make sure I was checking everything correctly (new to the TF-100).
FC-16
CC-0 (I get a 0.5 at times)
TA-70
CH-175
CYA-40

Do I just keep waiting?!! I'm losing patience after slamming for 2 weeks. I'm ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor! Pictures of the color process are attached. The last picture is from this evening. I started the slam on the 14th.

Attachments

• 20200315_113757.jpg
    20200315_113757.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200316_132050.jpg
    20200316_132050.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200319_164629.jpg
    20200319_164629.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200330_185649.jpg
    20200330_185649.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to the forum!
An Intex sand filter will take a very long time to clear a pool. Honestly, at that volume, you would have been far better off to drain it and refill with fresh water.
As you have been successfully passing the OCLT multiple times, I would suggest you can let your FC drop to 10 ppm or so (so you can properly check your pH) and then maintain the FC at around 8-10 ppm until the pool clears.
Let's see what some other members have to say.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: rp219
Welcome to the forum!
An Intex sand filter will take a very long time to clear a pool. Honestly, at that volume, you would have been far better off to drain it and refill with fresh water.
As you have been successfully passing the OCLT multiple times, I would suggest you can let your FC drop to 10 ppm or so (so you can properly check your pH) and then maintain the FC at around 8-10 ppm until the pool clears.
Let's see what some other members have to say.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you! I will try that. I have read the ABC's... but it's all chemistry to me.? I think my main concern was, am I looking for the clear water to be so clear that I can count the squares at the bottom of the pool? That's what I've been waiting for.

I think my main concern was, am I looking for the clear water to be so clear that I can count the squares at the bottom of the pool? That's what I've been waiting for.
And that is what you will see! But that little Intex filter is not good for the monumental job of filtering you had.
Does that filter have a pressure gauge?

And that is what you will see! But that little Intex filter is not good for the monumental job of filtering you had.
Does that filter have a pressure gauge?
Yes. It doesn't move much. I just bought this pump, so it's not the cartridge pump I had last year and am used to. I thought i was "upgrading". The sand pump (have not hooked up swg to it yet) runs 2100gph. The gauge sits at 7psi, the highest I've seen it go so far is 9psi.

OK. Let the pressure rise by 25% over 7 -- or -- to the 9 psi you saw before you backwash. A sand filter that is dirty filters better. Be sure to watch your water flow back to the pool to see if it diminishes too much when the pressure gets up to 9 psi.

Does the gauge return to 0 when the pump is off so we can at least know the pressure is correct. Also a sand filter needs a good backwash for a few minutes once your already doing it but as it was said earlier a dirty sand filter helps it work up to a point. You can also put some DE into the skimmer and stop at the point where it gives you a 1 psi rise. This will help clear up the water but will also bring the pressure up quicker as its trapping fine dirt in the water and may need backwashing more often till the water clears up .

Does the gauge return to 0 when the pump is off so we can at least know the pressure is correct. Also a sand filter needs a good backwash for a few minutes once your already doing it but as it was said earlier a dirty sand filter helps it work up to a point. You can also put some DE into the skimmer and stop at the point where it gives you a 1 psi rise. This will help clear up the water but will also bring the pressure up quicker as its trapping fine dirt in the water and may need backwashing more often till the water clears up .
Yes, it drops to zero when off, so I feel the reading is correct. Thank you for all of the advice. If we don't go for a bigger pool next year, I now know to drain and refill.

Thank you for all of the advice. If we don't go for a bigger pool next year, I now know to drain and refill.
Really good job getting to this point. :goodjob: That was a horribly green pool. You can imagine all that dead organic matter that required removal. You will see those tiny square one day though. Keep up the nice work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really good job getting to this point. :goodjob: That was a horribly green pool. You can imagine all that dead organic matter that required removal. You will see those tiny square one day though. Keep up the nice work.
Thank you! I have never left a pool up and filled all winter. The plan, since we weren't going to see much of a winter here, was to leave it up and treated... but the "winter blues" got to me, and I deserted my zen. Sunshine and blue water is back, and hopefully with the help of you pros, I will be able to count the squares again soon.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I am using 6% sodium hypochlorite household cleaning bleach.
That should be just fine as long as it's regular/plain with no additives for scents or splashless. Also avoid the Clorox brand. Other than that, you should be good. :goodjob:

OK. Let the pressure rise by 25% over 7 -- or -- to the 9 psi you saw before you backwash. A sand filter that is dirty filters better. Be sure to watch your water flow back to the pool to see if it diminishes too much when the pressure gets up to 9 psi.
The water flow is still pretty hard when it reaches 9psi. It only got that way when I didn't backwash for 3 days. I was checking to make sure the gauge was working, because until then it had never moved... except when I turn the pump off.

The water flow is still pretty hard when it reaches 9psi.
Great. So be sure you wait until the gauge shows 9 psi before you backwash again. Always do that. As I said, letting the filter get dirty lets it filter better.

Also, I am sure Mobile has Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid in the Garden Section in your Walmart. Check it out. It is 10% and much better than using the low strength bleach.

Also, I am sure Mobile has Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid in the Garden Section in your Walmart. Check it out. It is 10% and much better than using the low strength bleach.
Yes sir...I had to use a few bottles when all stores ran out of bleach. I just made sure ti change nt settings in pool math while I used it.

We had a little rain, and are going to get tons more today. My FC dropped from 16 to 13 overnight... I'm assuming the rain is the cause. However, I can see 7 more inches (squares) down this morning. Yes, I'm actually sticking my arm in and counting the squares from cloudiness and up. I have nothing better to do in quarantine time.?

• Haha
Reactions: carnivalday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.