Will my home water be okay in filling new plaster pool?

T,

Looks pretty good to me. Just follow TFP recommendations to balance. You should "attend" Pool School here ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Looks like you've already taken the critical important first step by getting the test kit. Ask any questions you may have. We have experts chomping at the bit to offer advice. As you progress you'll have a lot of people offering advice. Most also have something to sell. We sell nothing, we're just enthusiasts and experts that want to help.

Please do update us frequently and ask any questions you may have.

Chris

No. You will need to add calcium immediately. Shoot for 250 ppm. So get some of that now. Otherwise you will need acid, CYA, and liquid chlorine.

Reactions: setsailsoon
T,

You've got a real nice set up. Should be an easy pool to take care of once you get up and running! Definitely do get the chemicals on-hand that Marty mentioned. You want to stay ahead of the game and get any issues cleared up as soon as possible. When do you plan to start filling?

Chris

Do I add the Calcium little by little as the pool is filling up and try to maintain the 250ppm? Or wait until it is full?

I am feeling a little overwhelmed about the start-up procedures. There is a lot of information and a lot of different opinions on the proper approach. I want my plaster to last 20 years and it appears that the first few days may have a significant impact on that possibility.

Follow one of the start-up guides for the first 28 days...

Read the Installation Tips in Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

The CSI is not applicable to new plaster finishes under 30 days old. It is actually necessary, to achieve a smooth and dense surface, to have about a +0.5 CSI during the first 30 days. This is because the plaster (cement paste) surface contains about 20% calcium hydroxide, which is somewhat soluble in balanced and slightly positive CSI water and can be dissolved away. The plaster surface needs to be "carbonated" before the CSI should be lowered to the acceptable and balanced range. And that generally is achieved during the first month under balanced water.

Ask questions here if you don't understand or are getting conflicting advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.