Will it work...?

Milomike

Jul 2, 2020
Iowa
I’m new to the math involved with all of this so I apologize for the beginner question.
I have a Pentair SD80 filter and plan 2” pvc lines with a 15000 gallon pool.
It was recommended that we get a 1.5 hp pump with this so went with a mighty mammoth 1.5 hp pump.
Now the math the filter has a max flow rate of 75GPM, with the pump is listed at 93 GPM.
I’ve read that it’s bad juju to have the pumps rate exceed the filter. Is there a way to reduce the flow rate between the two, or an I just not doing the math right. Does the head fit into this as well?
If this pump is just wrong for the filter I want to return it before I blow out the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you fill in your signature with your pool specs? This will help, we need to know pool volume, type of pool, etc... If the pump is new and you still have the chance to return it, either a Variable speed or 2 speed pumps are more energy efficient and have lower flows.

Hello and Welcome to TFP.
The pump listed at 93 gpm is likely the flow at the pump discharge with no restrictions. These pumps will have a reduced flow as you start to add additional equipment to the system such as filters, heaters, pipe runs, etc. Which make and model pump have you selected? You should select at least a 2 speed pump or variable speed. Without knowing more information, I'd say the pump is oversized for the filter. You can increase filter size or choose a smaller pump. The direction you go would depend on other components in your system.

Please enter your pool information into your signature to help us help you.

Thanks added signature...soundS like I would be better off with a 1hp two speed pump.

Intitially,I am not adding a lot of extras to the system, just want to get it fired up.

The research I had done recommended a 1.5 pump and 24 inch filter... I actually couldn’t find a 24... so went a little bigger with the 26.
Now that I’m getting down to figuring out the plumbing I’m seeing nearly all 1.5 up pumps run above 80gpm.
The pump is a generic that is resold under other names....basically the same thing thing as the doheny, Rx clear, and blue torrent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.