Will Draining Water Help With Algae?

Update on day 4 of SLAM. Here are my FC results over the past 4 days. CC stayed at 0 the whole time. The very first test was done before adding any chemicals (after the refill). My target FC is 16, so I think the water has done pretty well to stay near that roughly every 4 hours or so (especially overnight). Water is looking much better, and there is a whole lot less dead algae on the floor (almost none). It's still a little green and cloudy, and I can't see the bottom of the deep end yet. Hopefully within the next 3-4 days it'll clear up even more.

05-02-2023, 09:30 - FC: 1.5
05-02-2023, 22:30 - FC: 15
05-03-2023, 06:38 - FC: 12
05-03-2023, 10:51 - FC: 14
05-03-2023, 14:41 - FC: 11.5
05-03-2023, 18:15 - FC: 13.5
05-03-2023, 20:04 - FC: 16.5
05-03-2023, 22:38 - FC: 14.5
05-04-2023, 06:37 - FC: 15
05-04-2023, 11:22 - FC: 15
05-04-2023, 14:55 - FC: 13
05-04-2023, 20:16 - FC: 14
05-04-2023, 22:41 - FC: 16
05-05-2023, 06:35 - FC: 15.5
05-05-2023, 11:00 - FC: 14

Great work. Keep brushing your deep end to stir it up and have the filter capture the dead algae. Have you notice any significant changes in your pressure for the sand filter? Have you had to backwash it to clear out some of the dead algae?

Great work. Keep brushing your deep end to stir it up and have the filter capture the dead algae. Have you notice any significant changes in your pressure for the sand filter? Have you had to backwash it to clear out some of the dead algae?
That was one of the questions I forgot to ask: should I backwash at anytime during SLAM? I haven't yet, but I did backwash right before starting (It was pretty clear then).

The pressure has stayed pretty constant at around 13 psi. I've been brushing as needed and running my robot vacuum every time I add more chlorine, so at least 4-5 times per day. It seems to help a lot, and hasn't been picking anything up lately.

That was one of the questions I forgot to ask: should I backwash at anytime during SLAM? I haven't yet, but I did backwash right before starting (It was pretty clear then).

The pressure has stayed pretty constant at around 13 psi. I've been brushing as needed and running my robot vacuum every time I add more chlorine, so at least 4-5 times per day. It seems to help a lot, and hasn't been picking anything up lately.
Just monitor your pressure, if you see it rise to 15psi or higher then you may need to backwash it. Running your robot helps and hopefully it can pick up some of the algae unless the basket in the robot is too course and letting it pass through.

Just monitor your pressure, if you see it rise to 15psi or higher then you may need to backwash it. Running your robot helps and hopefully it can pick up some of the algae unless the basket in the robot is too course and letting it pass through.
The pressure hits 15-18 psi when the pump is priming, but once it's done with that (about 5 minutes) it drops down to 12-13 psi, and even lower during slower RPM.

The pressure hits 15-18 psi when the pump is priming, but once it's done with that (about 5 minutes) it drops down to 12-13 psi, and even lower during slower RPM
Next time you backwash, run a higher RPM of your choice and record/use that RPM and PSI. You need a constant for comparison and it's harder to tell the PSI rose at lower values.

Update: I can finally see the bottom of the deep end! The water really cleared up in the past 24 hours. For about the first 5 days or so, the water was definitely getting cleaner with less algae, but it still had a green tint, then very milky/white tint, but this morning it finally started to clear up! Funny enough there's still a tiny bit of algae that seems to settle on the bottom, so I'll keep SLAMing. Here are the latest FC test results:
05-06-2023, 15:05 - FC: 15.5
05-06-2023, 18:46 - FC: 13.5
05-06-2023, 23:02 - FC: 15.5
05-07-2023, 06:44 - FC: 16
05-07-2023, 10:39 - FC: 17
05-07-2023, 15:04 - FC: 13
05-07-2023, 18:32 - FC: 12
05-07-2023, 22:29 - FC: 14.5
05-08-2023, 06:39 - FC: 13.5
05-08-2023, 11:06 - FC: 16.5

Update: I can finally see the bottom of the deep end! The water really cleared up in the past 24 hours. For about the first 5 days or so, the water was definitely getting cleaner with less algae, but it still had a green tint, then very milky/white tint, but this morning it finally started to clear up! Funny enough there's still a tiny bit of algae that seems to settle on the bottom, so I'll keep SLAMing. Here are the latest FC test results:
05-06-2023, 15:05 - FC: 15.5
05-06-2023, 18:46 - FC: 13.5
05-06-2023, 23:02 - FC: 15.5
05-07-2023, 06:44 - FC: 16
05-07-2023, 10:39 - FC: 17
05-07-2023, 15:04 - FC: 13
05-07-2023, 18:32 - FC: 12
05-07-2023, 22:29 - FC: 14.5
05-08-2023, 06:39 - FC: 13.5
05-08-2023, 11:06 - FC: 16.5
Great. Don’t stop. Many people think they can stop early but that will just frustrate you when it returns. Please note the 3 criteria in the SLAM process. So happy this is going well thus far and you have done a great job in keeping up the FC levels.

Great. Don’t stop. Many people think they can stop early but that will just frustrate you when it returns. Please note the 3 criteria in the SLAM process. So happy this is going well thus far and you have done a great job in keeping up the FC levels.
Thank you for the help in getting here! And yes, I definitely don’t want to stop SLAM too soon and have everything revert back to where it was. How many days in a row should I look for the 3 criteria to be complete? The CC has stayed at 0 pretty much the entire time, and the water is looking very clear now with almost no algae whatsoever. The overnight FC has been less than 1.0 a few nights now, so I may be getting close! 🤞

Reactions: Newdude
the water is looking very clear now
When its TFP clear, you'll know. Heads or tails on a coin in the deep end, or seeing that ypur main drain screws are Phillips. (My personal favorite).

How Clear is TFP Clear?

with almost no algae whatsoever
I know what you mean. But what I read is that there is still algae. That fails the 'clear water' criteria. (Visble algae of any kind)

Stay the course. You got this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: FC levels have remained about the same. Today, the levels were 15.5, 15, 16.5 at 6:30 am, 10:30 am, 2:30 pm, respectively (I added the recommended amount of LC after each test). Looks like the pool is maintaining the FC level even with sunlight and high temps (mid-high 80s). CC has remained 0, I see no signs of algae in the pool, and the water is very clear. I think tonight I'll try the Overnight FC Loss Test and see if I'm done with SLAM. Or is it recommended to continue at my current state?

Here's a visual update: the first photo is from 4/11, before any draining, refilling, chemical additions, etc., so essentially my starting point. The second photo is from earlier today. What a difference! Oh, and never mind the stains in the deep end... I must've done that at some point over the years with stabilizer, CH increaser, who knows... ha.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

IMG_5498.jpg
IMG_6168 (1).jpg

Or is it recommended to continue at my current state?
You have passed 2 of the 3 exit criteria.

1) stupid clear water
2) ccs of .5 or less

Now we need the OCLT.

At that point you can rather easily hold slam for another day as insurance. I would, as an investment for all I invested, but it's not required.

Having you been brushing the pool at least once per day? Twice daily is better.

Have you removed the pool light housing and checked behind it for any algae or other nasties?

Have you checked the weir door on the skimmer for any hidden algae and gunk? Also check around the stairs.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Having you been brushing the pool at least once per day? Twice daily is better.

Have you removed the pool light housing and checked behind it for any algae or other nasties?

Have you checked the weir door on the skimmer for any hidden algae and gunk? Also check around the stairs.
The robot I use brushes and vaccuums all the floors and walls, so that's been extremely helpful. I've run the robot about 4-5 times per day since I started SLAM.

The pool light housing was removed and inspected for silicon at the connection and to also check for any potential leaks, so it should hopefully be a lot cleaner that it was before.

I've been brushing the steps and skimmer daily since starting SLAM. Both appear to be pretty white with no visible signs of algae. (y)

Whats the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test verdict?
Alex Wilson Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel

• Haha
Reactions: ugadawgs311
Last night at 7:35pm, FC = 12.5, so I added 101 ounces LC. I tested again at 10:38pm and FC = 16.5. Since my FC target is 16, I let it sit overnight without adding any more LC. This morning I tested at 6:36am, and FC = 15.5, so I guess that means with just a 1ppm drop in FC overnight, that means I pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test! I decided to add 14 ounces LC this morning, and may continue SLAM today just to make sure I'm in the clear and ready for swimming this weekend.

Assuming that I'm done with SLAM today or tomorrow morning, is the next step to let FC fall to the 3-7ppm range (as recommended in the Pool Math app)? And also test all other chemicals and adjust as needed?

EDIT: my previous results before beginning SLAM were:
  • pH: 7.2
  • TA: 65
  • CH: 90
  • CYA: 40

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
may continue SLAM today just to make sure I'm in the clear and ready for swimming this weekend.
Always the smart call. Maintaining slam at this stage takes little effort. Starting a new one in a couple weeks takes mondo effort.

What were the CCs for the overnight?
is the next step to let FC fall to the 3-7ppm range (as recommended in the Pool Math app)?
Yes. But always be mindful that PM doesn't know what your daily loss is at that point in the season. It will say a 5 is fine but you may be losing 4ppm a day and find yourself in a pickle.

Target your daily loss, *plus min FC* and I always highly suggest some wiggle room FC for insurance. I target so I fall back into target range with my loss for that point in the season, so i retain a healthy buffer. I'm prepared 24/7 for anything that arises from a high UV loss day, an impromptu storm or get together, or a power loss that takes my SWG out for the day while they clear the big accident down the road.

Post up the new #s when you have them and we'll advise. Also, TA goes in 10s. :)

Last night at 7:35pm, FC = 12.5, so I added 101 ounces LC. I tested again at 10:38pm and FC = 16.5. Since my FC target is 16, I let it sit overnight without adding any more LC. This morning I tested at 6:36am, and FC = 15.5, so I guess that means with just a 1ppm drop in FC overnight, that means I pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test! I decided to add 14 ounces LC this morning, and may continue SLAM today just to make sure I'm in the clear and ready for swimming this weekend.

Assuming that I'm done with SLAM today or tomorrow morning, is the next step to let FC fall to the 3-7ppm range (as recommended in the Pool Math app)? And also test all other chemicals and adjust as needed?

EDIT: my previous results before beginning SLAM were:
  • pH: 7.2
  • TA: 65
  • CH: 90
  • CYA: 40
Aim for maintaining target 🎯 range 5-7ppm or a scootch higher.
No sense in playing kissy face with minimum!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.