Will a larger pump solve this issue?

Highlandpools

In The Industry
Apr 17, 2021
Oklahoma
I have a 27000 gallon pool with an attached spa, 2 fountain features, waterside, and tanning lodge with bubblers. My problem is I'm only able to run 2 of the water features at once. I'd like to be able to run everything simultaneously. Do I just need to install a larger pump? If so.how much larger? Currently running 2hp approx. 5ft lower than pool edge.

Welcome to the forum.
What flow rate do each of the water features need to operate?
I suspect you need more than one pump.

What size pipes do you have?

What flow rates are required by the features like the water slide?

Your pipes may be a limiting factor.

Since you are in the business, you need to know how to select the correct pump for a specific purpose.

The correct pump depends on the flow rate that it needs to supply and the total head loss at that flow rate.

The head loss depends on the pipe size and length and the flow rate.

You need to know the head loss on the suction and the return lines.

You can't just go by horsepower.

Ideally, you should be able to create a system curve that you can superimpose onto the pump performance curve so that you can see the intersection(s), which define the operating point.

The operating point should not be too close to either end of the pump performance curve.

The pump performance curve will usually indicate a range where the pump is designed to operate with optimal performance.

https://aquamagazine.com/service/how-to-read-pump-system-curves.html

If you have multiple features that you will use in different configurations, then you will likely require a variable speed pump.

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec. For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138.............184 gpm
4”...........234.............313 gpm

Last edited:
Customers pool, customer asked me to get whatever is needed to achieve desired outcome by Memorial Day weekend. When asked any question about the technical side of the pool he doesnt know and has no paper work, he is supposed to send me some.pictures so I can attempt to gain more.information this evening. but I wont be able to get to the pool until tomorrow

For background, I started as a subcontractor cleaning pools, and they quickly upgraded me to opening and closing pools, cleaning filters, and pipe repair that doesnt require any concrete work. I worked there as a subcontractor for a year then got a few of my own contracts, through word of mouth my business grew and at this point in time I have 7 contracts. Last year I learned how to install vinyl pool liners, and this year it looks like I'm learning about pumps. I have done some minor pump work like cleaning impeller and even installation of an almost identical pump but the customer already had it on hand, but nothing that has required I have knowledge of water flow and flow rates and outside of increasing suction temporarily to vacuum the pool.

Thank you to everyone who made it this far, and for helping me work towards finding a solution

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.