Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I imagine there aren’t any reliable WiFi devices for testing chlorine, alkalinity, CYA, etc. or people would be bringing them up when discussing test kits, but does anyone have a remote temperature and maybe even pH gauge to recommend? Something that would display on a smartphone, perhaps with a graph/tracker?

Ambient weather makes several quality wi-fi capable temperature gauges. (with companion phone apps)

pH is going to be a different story, it'd need constant calibration. Much easier to use good old phenol red drops. :)

I imagine there aren’t any reliable WiFi devices for testing chlorine, alkalinity, CYA, etc. or people would be bringing them up when discussing test kits, but does anyone have a remote temperature and maybe even pH gauge to recommend? Something that would display on a smartphone, perhaps with a graph/tracker?
I use PHin to monitor my temp and chemistry. It’s pretty good and has gotten better than when it was 1st released 106073

pHin is not worth the price. The chemistry it pushes (and forces you in to via the subscription model) is not one we would recommend. It also relies on inaccurate ORP for chlorine testing and test strips to test everything else, which have earned the name "guess strips" here for a reason. I won't go so far as to call it junk because the unit is probably well made and the sensors in it are as good as any, but the cost vs the shortcomings of the unit put it firmly in the "no" column.

Several units almost identical have come out in the past few years. All suffer from the same shortcomings and each is sold as the "Latest and Greatest Innovation in Pool Care!!" Each is built with decades old technology coupled to an off-the-shelf wifi board.

I'd be suspicious of any app that tells me "Time to add shock". That it is "regularly scheduled" is worse!
If the test is accurate then the recommendations could be ignored and your own regimen followed.

Sounds like the accuracy is a question, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pHin is not worth the price. The chemistry it pushes (and forces you in to via the subscription model) is not one we would recommend. It also relies on inaccurate ORP for chlorine testing and test strips to test everything else, which have earned the name "guess strips" here for a reason. I won't go so far as to call it junk because the unit is probably well made and the sensors in it are as good as any, but the cost vs the shortcomings of the unit put it firmly in the "no" column.

Several units almost identical have come out in the past few years. All suffer from the same shortcomings and each is sold as the "Latest and Greatest Innovation in Pool Care!!" Each is built with decades old technology coupled to an off-the-shelf wifi board.
I use my own chemicals with PHIn. I use it to keep my pool on track and it reminds me to mange my chemicals. For me it is worth the cost. I think it’s under a $100 a year for this.

Reactions: Briceh
Like I said, if you are following its reminders you are not managing your chemistry in a way we would recommend. Given your screenshot shows "time for scheduled shock" I can confidently say this is true. And as I also said, the chlorine sensor is not accurate in the presence of CYA. And it relies on test strips for everything above pH and ORP, which have proven to be extremely unreliable. I wouldn't consider it worth the cost for the sensors on it (you can get a digital pH meter for $15, floating digital thermometer for $17), but more importantly the bad pool management it pushes is a detriment, not a value.

I use my own chemicals with PHIn. I use it to keep my pool on track and it reminds me to mange my chemicals. For me it is worth the cost. I think it’s under a $100 a year for this.
Thanks I have just put in a pool and thinking about trying the Phin product. I was planning on buying my own chemicals and just using it for the service like you are. Assume you are pleased and it works well??

It is still not worth the upfront cost to just get a thermometer, pH gauge of unknown accuracy and calibration, and an ORP sensor that is a poor substitute for actually testing the chlorine levels.

Thanks I have just put in a pool and thinking about trying the Phin product. I was planning on buying my own chemicals and just using it for the service like you are. Assume you are pleased and it works well??
Isn't it odd that the one person who is talking up the unit joined, posted two posts about how great it is, and hasn't been seen since? Meanwhile hundreds of people who have years of experience on the site keeping their pool crystal clear can go in to great detail about why it is overpriced and junk and the recommendations it gives are awful. I think those two things together should paint a pretty clear picture of the item.

I'm in no way implying that the Phin (and a similar device, the Sutro) are of questionable quality, but I can't help but be concerned that they will all suffer the same problems that the beleaguered Theranos did, mainly maintaining calibration over a sustained period, especially given fluctuating operating temperatures. I want them to work and I would love to buy a reliable unit but until we have long-term test results, it's a lot of money for something that I will have difficulty trusting.

I would love it if I could just find a floating pH device. Something that is accurate. I dont mind calibrating it once a month and if it is cheap enough replacing it every year.

Ph is the one thing that fluctuates the most in my pool and would benefit from more constant and remote monitoring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.