Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

Re: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

What I don't understand is how it's LESS hassle to go the pool $tore route? (...) Am I missing something??

I was kinda pool stored for years and years, and only touched my pool once per week (dump in 2x 2.5gal 12.5%) and top off puck floater. I had 8 jugs, so I had a monthly pool store trip, where testing was done. So 1 test/mo done while I happily browsed pool floats, goggles, and bbq stuff or talked on my cell, and another employee was filling my bleach jugs. No real time lost. 1 test instead of 10-31, 4 chem additions instead of 10-60. Zero test kit expense and time. I added an entire extra jug when we got a lot of rain, or when the water lost its perfection, so I avoided full/green algae blooms thanks to intuition and luck. Pool went green twice in like 12 years - on our two long family vacations during summers. I declined the phos-craze, the algecides, claifiers and such since I didn't see need to spend more when "chlorine and pucks" was keeping it clear. Luckily for me, that pool's fill water was TA & PH friendly enough that my tests never showed a need for PH mods. Vinyl so CH wasn't even tested. I did get some itty bitty scale, but didn't know it as such and wasn't bothered by it. For me, with that exact pool at that exact house, it was pretty minimal costs, truth be told, and actually maybe less than TFP, don't care. At my current pool, situation was similar, until things went bad, which happened in a few short years, and then it went miserably bad, hence TFP to the rescue.:super:

The X factor old pool - eyes were irritated sometimes, CC smell sometimes in days before weekly add, unsafe water (not deadly, obviously, but certainly wasn't 100% safe), and eventual CYA 200+ and the problems that would have happened, and minor scale

The X factor current pool - plaster corrosion faster than it had to be, CYA was 200+ year before last, black algae infestation, black algae behind delaminated plaster, a little copper in the pool thanks to black algae copper based algaecide usage, pool actually went solid green overnight like real magic, pool was a nightmare to salvage, but happened thanks to TFP

Final thought - I've seen CYAs go to zero when pools were left at FC 0 in several pools and am secretly convinced that the #1 reason so many pool shopped pools don't end up with CYA problems faster is that they let it go to 0 FC at some point, maybe vacation, maybe winter, maybe during storms, or times of personal strife or busyness, and they are so lucky as to have their CYA get eaten by bacteria and get to reset their CYA ticking time bomb clock.

Summary - Pool shopped (with or without phos n magic potions) can indeed *in certain fortunate situations* be less time/effort during maintenance periods as long as the operator is agreeable to unsafe water, smells, occasional blooms that will require more time/effort *and money* than full TFP adherence.

As a rule though, once you master TFP, you can, without doubt, achieve a pool care routine that requires less total time/effort/cost than pool stores generally provide - with 100% safe water protecting yourselves and your vinyl/plaster/equipment to the maximum degree. If you decline this, you accept the consequences. That's your right.

I was kinda pool stored for years and years, and only touched my pool once per week (dump in 2x 2.5gal 12.5%) and top off puck floater. I had 8 jugs, so I had a monthly pool store trip, where testing was done. So 1 test/mo done while I happily browsed pool floats, goggles, and bbq stuff or talked on my cell, and another employee was filling my bleach jugs. No real time lost. 1 test instead of 10-31, 4 chem additions instead of 10-60. Zero test kit expense and time. I added an entire extra jug when we got a lot of rain, or when the water lost its perfection, so I avoided full/green algae blooms thanks to intuition and luck. Pool went green twice in like 12 years - on our two long family vacations during summers. I declined the phos-craze, the algecides, claifiers and such since I didn't see need to spend more when "chlorine and pucks" was keeping it clear. Luckily for me, that pool's fill water was TA & PH friendly enough that my tests never showed a need for PH mods. Vinyl so CH wasn't even tested. I did get some itty bitty scale, but didn't know it as such and wasn't bothered by it. For me, with that exact pool at that exact house, it was pretty minimal costs, truth be told, and actually maybe less than TFP, don't care. At my current pool, situation was similar, until things went bad, which happened in a few short years, and then it went miserably bad, hence TFP to the rescue.:super:

The X factor old pool - eyes were irritated sometimes, CC smell sometimes in days before weekly add, unsafe water (not deadly, obviously, but certainly wasn't 100% safe), and eventual CYA 200+ and the problems that would have happened, and minor scale

The X factor current pool - plaster corrosion faster than it had to be, CYA was 200+ year before last, black algae infestation, black algae behind delaminated plaster, a little copper in the pool thanks to black algae copper based algaecide usage, pool actually went solid green overnight like real magic, pool was a nightmare to salvage, but happened thanks to TFP

Final thought - I've seen CYAs go to zero when pools were left at FC 0 in several pools and am secretly convinced that the #1 reason so many pool shopped pools don't end up with CYA problems faster is that they let it go to 0 FC at some point, maybe vacation, maybe winter, maybe during storms, or times of personal strife or busyness, and they are so lucky as to have their CYA get eaten by bacteria and get to reset their CYA ticking time bomb clock.

Summary - Pool shopped (with or without phos n magic potions) can indeed *in certain fortunate situations* be less time/effort during maintenance periods as long as the operator is agreeable to unsafe water, smells, occasional blooms that will require more time/effort *and money* than full TFP adherence.

As a rule though, once you master TFP, you can, without doubt, achieve a pool care routine that requires less total time/effort/cost than pool stores generally provide - with 100% safe water protecting yourselves and your vinyl/plaster/equipment to the maximum degree. If you decline this, you accept the consequences. That's your right.

+1 with the bacteria thought. I am convinced my son gets an ear infection when he swims in my pool-stored SIL's pool. He swam in our pool for 2 months, no infection. Swam in theirs twice, ear infection. By the end of the season, both of her kids had gotten ear infections, too. She shocks once a week, and throws a puck in the skimmer now and then. Gets her water tested once in a while at the pool store. Sometimes, for fun, I sneak over and test her FC, ha ha. She has had me check her PH before, but I can't get her on board here, yet. (I don't want to push too hard, lol, or I will be taking care of two pools instead of one.)

+1 with the bacteria thought. I am convinced my son gets an ear infection when he swims in my pool-stored SIL's pool. He swam in our pool for 2 months, no infection. Swam in theirs twice, ear infection. By the end of the season, both of her kids had gotten ear infections, too. She shocks once a week, and throws a puck in the skimmer now and then. Gets her water tested once in a while at the pool store. Sometimes, for fun, I sneak over and test her FC, ha ha. She has had me check her PH before, but I can't get her on board here, yet. (I don't want to push too hard, lol, or I will be taking care of two pools instead of one.)

At least your kid won't get an ear infection. [emoji57] On a side note, I always put 50% rubbing alcohol in my ears after I swim. I almost always get water stuck in my ears, and that evaporates it. It would also kill bacteria. May give that a try after swimming in her pool.

ear infections
yes, my siblings and I had ear infections in that pool (1-2 a year)...and this pool... until TFP....coincidence? just less diligent swimmer's ear/water clogged ears products?

50% rubbing alcohol in my ears after I swim
when i run out of the actual swimmer's ear type drops, i just use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, but perhaps I should dilute it, must research that tomorrow, thanks

yes, my siblings and I had ear infections in that pool (1-2 a year)...and this pool... until TFP....coincidence? just less diligent swimmer's ear/water clogged ears products?

when i run out of the actual swimmer's ear type drops, i just use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, but perhaps I should dilute it, must research that tomorrow, thanks

91% is strong stuff. I used to use 70%, but found that if I used it multiple times per week it would irritate my ears a little. The 50% is strong enough to work, and weak enough to be gentle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Piling on here...

Returned home from vacation two weeks ago to a green pool. Will spare you the details that led to that, but began SLAMming and my testing showed me the pool wasn't holding chlorine. Big drops overnight. Told myself it was algae getting eaten up that kept bring the FC down overnight. I'd run out of CYA testing liquid and more was on the way. After a few days it arrived and multiple tests read 0 CYA.

I was skeptical of my CYA reading and took some water to Leslie's. By then the water had cleared up, but still not holding chlorine well. Leslies tells me the FC and pH are OK, CYA is 30 and my phosphates are high. They tell me I need Phosfree this and perfect pool that, which I pass on, but I do buy some liquid chlorine because they did measure my water.

I dump in the chlorine and run the pump. Measure the FC a few hours later and again in the morning. Another drop bigger than it should be -- even for Arizona. And CYA still says 0. So I get some more water and take it to the family-owned pool store a few minutes past Leslie's. Our numbers match. I buy some stabilizer from them.

A few days after adding stabilizer -- pool is holding chlorine now -- my test shows a CYA of 40-50. Same day, I fill two water bottles and take one to family pool store, which measures CYA of 40. Take one to Leslie's, which measures 0.

So long, Leslie's.

Fun story! Congrats on your victorious slam. That was mighty decent of you to buy the bleach from Leslies and the stabilizer from the family. Good times and a great reminder that even in a pinch - pool store testing results should not be acted upon in the same way you'd react to your own testing, especially if when results conflict with your common sense observations.

The short answer: Because they hire kids (or adults who just need a part-time, supplemental job) who are there to make a buck and who don't bother to learn how pool chemistry works. You wouldn't believe some of the crazy things I've heard them say to customers! :D I just try to refrain from sighing loudly or rolling my eyes when I'm there. :)

My own story is similar to most of yours. I bought a house with a large vinyl pool and used the Leslie's pool store as my knowledge base and supply store. I can remember buying hundreds of pounds of Hardness Plus, algecides, calrifiers (with a DE filter), and all sorts of different products to clear green or cloudy water. I had nothing but problems, and the water was NEVER as clear is it is now. I use a LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 kit. I would use a more recommended kit, but my colorblindness gets in the way. My wife can use the color tests when I am unsure. When I opened a few months ago, I read about the difficulty in doing a CYA test with this kit and decided to take it to Leslie's before I added CYA. My kit said it was non-existent, but Leslie's says it was at a perfect 40. I went ahead as normal, but noticed I was using bleach at twice the rate of the previous year. I tested it again the following week and their results were radically different. CYA was at 0, and the rest of the test skewed from the previous weeks test even though my kit had them stable all week. Earlier high pH was now low pH, alkalinity was way off, but FC was accurate. On their printout they listed what I needed to add to the pool. I calculated the cost based on the items in the store. It was roughly $150 worht of stuff that I did not need, plus the CYA. I had my own CYA at home which I added to the skimmer in a sock. That sealed it for me. I realized that I had been wasting money for years, and that their tests are less than useless since they will have you adding things that you do not need to correct problems that do not exist. Do not use a pool store, do your own tests. Even if you ae not perfectly accurate, it is still better than the pool store.

My own story is similar to most of yours. I bought a house with a large vinyl pool and used the Leslie's pool store as my knowledge base and supply store. I can remember buying hundreds of pounds of Hardness Plus, algecides, calrifiers (with a DE filter), and all sorts of different products to clear green or cloudy water. I had nothing but problems, and the water was NEVER as clear is it is now. I use a LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 kit. I would use a more recommended kit, but my colorblindness gets in the way. My wife can use the color tests when I am unsure. When I opened a few months ago, I read about the difficulty in doing a CYA test with this kit and decided to take it to Leslie's before I added CYA. My kit said it was non-existent, but Leslie's says it was at a perfect 40. I went ahead as normal, but noticed I was using bleach at twice the rate of the previous year. I tested it again the following week and their results were radically different. CYA was at 0, and the rest of the test skewed from the previous weeks test even though my kit had them stable all week. Earlier high pH was now low pH, alkalinity was way off, but FC was accurate. On their printout they listed what I needed to add to the pool. I calculated the cost based on the items in the store. It was roughly $150 worht of stuff that I did not need, plus the CYA. I had my own CYA at home which I added to the skimmer in a sock. That sealed it for me. I realized that I had been wasting money for years, and that their tests are less than useless since they will have you adding things that you do not need to correct problems that do not exist. Do not use a pool store, do your own tests. Even if you ae not perfectly accurate, it is still better than the pool store.

Then the next week, they sell you the stuff to counter balance what they had you add last week, lol. I see it when it happens to my SIL. I can't get her to understand this way is so much easier. So I just nod and agree, ha ha.

In retrospect, major function of the Pool Store tests seems to have been to open up an opportunity to $ell me pool chemicals that I didn't need, and in fact, should have had no place in my pool.

I went into Leslie's today and out of curiosity had them test my pool and got the manager (although there was a really bad training guy there)

My taylor test-------leslie
FC --------7.0-------4.0
CC --------0.0-------0.2
PH --------7.4-------7.4
TA ---------80-------80
CYA --------80-------90
CH --------330-------200
phosphates-no idea--0
salt ------3500--------300 my hayward insta test is 2900, I'm guessing this was a typo and supposed to be 3000 but ugh my paper says to add 269 lbs of salt lol that would be a problem if I did

So if the salt was a typo then the FC is always off by 2-3 from my fas-dpd test vs theirs (to note theirs can't test above 10). They have always been at 200 for calcium and I have got 330 - 350 so I'm not sure what that's about.

So while I'm waiting there were these people in there saying they had green algae growing all over their walls and floor seemingly overnight despite high FC readings. So I'm thinking 1st what is CYA and CC, I know the pool store is always wrong about CYA which seems a likely culprit with high FC, but who knows. The kicker was the advise they gave...

1) put some of this yellow out in there, and some of this other powder (I guess they had already been shocking (not slamming))
2) clean your filter (ok that makes sense)
3) and come back in a few days

Nothing about CYA, CC, raising FC level or the real kicker was no advice to brush the floor/walls he said to add more suction to the vacuum line to let the auto-vac suck out the algae. I so wanted to tell them to google trouble free pool but it didn't seem my place in the pool store that is warrantying my equipment. I'm a new pool owner but have already learned the hard way that brushing & chlorine are the 2 best combatants against algae... Oh well had to share that.

Thinking back - I don't remember ever being told to brush, despite that they had sold me a brush years before. Even with black algae, no mention of brushing, just 2 jugs of chlorine, 34 oz of copper algaecide (even though one bottle was 32 oz and yes i really did need to buy a 2nd bottle because the magic potion wouldn't work without those last two ounces) spoiler alert - I did three jugs and one bottle and it didn't get rid of one black dot. What did? Drop CYA from over 200, epic-SLAM and 99999x brushings....well it got everything that was exposed - thanks to following Leslie's and Pinch A Penny advise, I'll have black algae behind the delaminated plaster until I refinish it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.