Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

Re: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

RO is way too expensive. For my 6000 gallon pool it costs $15 for water, $20 for salt, $16 for CYA, and a little acid to start with fresh water.

So not a big deal that I have to drain, just takes some time. I try to plan it for the winter.

Take care.

I still have a bottle of Leslie's Perfect Weekly in my garage that reminds me not to get duped again. I check this site first with any issues - not them. :D

I have 3.5 large bottles of Phosfree, my pool was generating phosphates and yellow mustard algae like crazy and according to Leslies my CYA was 60, my FC 5. My pool had been using tabs for who knows how many years. Anyway I bought a 4 pak of phosfree because I was using it so much and finally beat the algae back with daily scrubbing and increased chlorine. Fast forward a couple months I get a SWCG and I'm still trying to use leslies despite all the everyone's doubt on this forum that my results were accurate. So I finally break out my taylor kit last month (that I bought in October but never used)

Now I check my tests with leslies and I find I get FC of 6 they say 0 (how can you make that much of a mistake) They never dilluted my CYA so 100 was the highest they ever told me and it was actually over 200. I had to drain half my pool to get 100 which is still higher than I want. I really did trust the owner but he was just as bad on the CYA as everyone else, and I see now that I pay attention I usually have some new guy testing everything and the results are all over the place.

Well if anyone on this board still trusts leslies I have some phosfree I can sell them cheap lol :cool:

-Tim

BOOM!!! Now that is what I am talking about up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good job and keep TFPing!

Has your water ever looked this good or been this easy before?

Kim:kim:

BOOM!!! Now that is what I am talking about up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good job and keep TFPing!

Has your water ever looked this good or been this easy before?

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim it is crystal clear! but honestly after I manually beat back the algae and got the SWCG it has been pretty clear even with CYA of 220. But my FC was spiraling out of control and I didn't know why. So I finally started to test myself, I guess my FC was going nuts because I had so much sanitizer even our FL bright sunny days couldn't reduce it. At one point I shut off my SWCG for 5 days and the FC only dropped from 14 to 8. That's when I decided to take the advice on here and drain half my pool. So even a pool that appears totally clear can have issues if no one is testing it right.

Since then I went from checking my results with Leslies becauseI didn't trust my testing to checking my results with leaslies because I don't trust their testing. Another thing that was fun... I have 3 pool stores within 3 miles of my house. Fill up 3 samples of water and test at 3 pool stores I wonder if anyone else would get the same results. Here it's insane how far apart they are. But If i test myself at home I always get within about 5%

Conclusions drawn about Leslie's business ethics and/or propensity to be inaccurate in pool readinggs are, for the most part, ill founded IMO. First, there is the misguided and shop worn "testimonials" ...which is referred to in science circles and statistical studies as anecdotal evidence. Per Wikipedia, " Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is gen erally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses.". The potential weakness in regards to the generally held consensus here about Lealies is fundamental in nature, and largely as follows: (i) the relatively small number of anecdotes about Leslies vis a vis the actually quite and disproportionally large total number of pool testing and customer experiences with Leslies and similar testing pool stores and (ii) the inherent subjectiveness of pool water testing.

First Point: Statistical Relevance. I know some here will ardently maintain that there is such a hugh number of complaints about Leslie's inaccurate testing that this alone should end any discussion abuout the subject. Actually, no it doesn't. First, there is the unintended exaggeration as to the actual number of such anecdotes. Seems like these numbers are huge but there not. I have done a few hours of searching on this subject and going back five years, came up with about 75 or so such anecdotes (not to be confused with actual posts, which are several hundred more but not unique, separate posters). Yet, there are some 7,000+ pool stores across the US and Canada. Do the math. Multiply that figure times there annual sum of testing and you come up with a huge number...making the adverse Leslie posts here a small fraction of the total tests Lesie's and other pool stores perform. The foregoing is not to say Leslie's pool testing accuracy is in the high, reliable numbers. But let's be real. Using the anecdotes here to support what some assert to be empirical evidence of Lealie's negligent testing MO, or even worse (see below) that Leslie's managers and employees have their thumb on the scale during the testing is wildly speculative and, from an evidentiary or scientific method standpoint, misguided.

Second Point: the Subjective element in testing. Those who track the anecdotes about Leslie's should also be familiar with the numerous posts from novice and expert alike about the subjective nature of so many of these tests. Yet, for some reason, the anti Leslie folks treat the test results taken by our members to be compeletely accurate while routinely assuming that the differing Leslie's test results are faulty. Moreover, a fair number of those reporting differing results are actually professed novices at testing. But no matter, its Leslie's who got it wrong. Hmmmmm....maybe, just maybe the OP is off on his/her testing (to which some will protest "No, this cannot be, for their's must be the accurate test of the two"). Hardly, a few drops too few or two many, or a slightly delayed color shift, or something called the human eye..and the test results can be dramtically off....Again, by either the Leslie testor or a member in this forum. In sum, there is nothing to support the accuracy of a member's test over a Leslie store test (or other pool stores who do free tests..and most do).

Then there are what I contend are the really specious arguments that a few here make, and which I believe to be repugnant...it's the one claiming that the pool store owner purposely skews the results to induce you to buy pool supplies. Has that ever happened...of course it has...just like auto mechanics fake results or engine evaluations to get your money. But then I guess we should all stay away from the auto repair places, right? Most readers here will get the point. But here's more. Try visting some of the employee rating sites online...the ones that post reviews of large sized chain companies. Look up the Leslie employee reviews. Most give very positive reviews for how Leslie's trained them about pool chemistry and customer service. None have had an ax to grind by exposing Leslie's as telling the employee how to sell more pool products by skewing the tests. And believe me, these sites are where that stuff gets exposed.

Re: My experience with several Leslie's stores: I do all my own testing. And over the last 14 years, I go to Leslie's now and then ..and have had maybe 12 different ppl do the testing over this time frame. Rarely have they been off. Maybe it was me (see above). But guess what...I patronize my Leslies becuz they twice serviced by polaris pool cleaner without charge...and there acid strength is twice that of the big box stores. I also will buy some pool toys there occasionally. And here's some earth shaking news: pool stores are in business to make money (what you say?). To some here this is the motivation that leads to the habitual skewing of test results. Wow..sorry to see that some here actually believe that Leslie pool managers, for the most part, are immoral unethical money grabbing hustlers. To you folks, time to grab that tin foil and fashion some hats. Note this...I am not drawing the conclusion nor asserting that Leslies has a high percentage of pool testing accuracy..only that I seen nothing yet to suggest otherwise.

Haters will contine to hate. Can't temper with reason, the opinion of those who are convinced that Leslies is out to rob you, or similalrly, that they are boobs who don't know which end of a test vial to pick up.

But Hats off to those whose response to posts about Leslies is far less judgmental and made without vitriol ...who focus on the merits of doing one's own testing and less on deriding the pool store owners. To you ppl, I only have this to say: when it comes time for us to take over your planet, you shall be spared

Reactions: tigers15

Conclusions drawn about Leslie's business ethics and/or propensity to be inaccurate in pool readinggs are, for the most part, ill founded IMO. First, there is the misguided and shop worn "testimonials" ...which is referred to in science circles and statistical studies as anecdotal evidence. Per Wikipedia, " Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is gen erally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses.". The potential weakness in regards to the generally held consensus here about Lealies is fundamental in nature, and largely as follows: (i) the relatively small number of anecdotes about Leslies vis a vis the actually quite and disproportionally large total number of pool testing and customer experiences with Leslies and similar testing pool stores and (ii) the inherent subjectiveness of pool water testing.

First Point: Statistical Relevance. I know some here will ardently maintain that there is such a hugh number of complaints about Leslie's inaccurate testing that this alone should end any discussion abuout the subject. Actually, no it doesn't. First, there is the unintended exaggeration as to the actual number of such anecdotes. Seems like these numbers are huge but there not. I have done a few hours of searching on this subject and going back five years, came up with about 75 or so such anecdotes (not to be confused with actual posts, which are several hundred more but not unique, separate posters). Yet, there are some 7,000+ pool stores across the US and Canada. Do the math. Multiply that figure times there annual sum of testing and you come up with a huge number...making the adverse Leslie posts here a small fraction of the total tests Lesie's and other pool stores perform. The foregoing is not to say Leslie's pool testing accuracy is in the high, reliable numbers. But let's be real. Using the anecdotes here to support what some assert to be empirical evidence of Lealie's negligent testing MO, or even worse (see below) that Leslie's managers and employees have their thumb on the scale during the testing is wildly speculative and, from an evidentiary or scientific method standpoint, misguided.

Second Point: the Subjective element in testing. Those who track the anecdotes about Leslie's should also be familiar with the numerous posts from novice and expert alike about the subjective nature of so many of these tests. Yet, for some reason, the anti Leslie folks treat the test results taken by our members to be compeletely accurate while routinely assuming that the differing Leslie's test results are faulty. Moreover, a fair number of those reporting differing results are actually professed novices at testing. But no matter, its Leslie's who got it wrong. Hmmmmm....maybe, just maybe the OP is off on his/her testing (to which some will protest "No, this cannot be, for their's must be the accurate test of the two"). Hardly, a few drops too few or two many, or a slightly delayed color shift, or something called the human eye..and the test results can be dramtically off....Again, by either the Leslie testor or a member in this forum. In sum, there is nothing to support the accuracy of a member's test over a Leslie store test (or other pool stores who do free tests..and most do).

Then there are what I contend are the really specious arguments that a few here make, and which I believe to be repugnant...it's the one claiming that the pool store owner purposely skews the results to induce you to buy pool supplies. Has that ever happened...of course it has...just like auto mechanics fake results or engine evaluations to get your money. But then I guess we should all stay away from the auto repair places, right? Most readers here will get the point. But here's more. Try visting some of the employee rating sites online...the ones that post reviews of large sized chain companies. Look up the Leslie employee reviews. Most give very positive reviews for how Leslie's trained them about pool chemistry and customer service. None have had an ax to grind by exposing Leslie's as telling the employee how to sell more pool products by skewing the tests. And believe me, these sites are where that stuff gets exposed.

Re: My experience with several Leslie's stores: I do all my own testing. And over the last 14 years, I go to Leslie's now and then ..and have had maybe 12 different ppl do the testing over this time frame. Rarely have they been off. Maybe it was me (see above). But guess what...I patronize my Leslies becuz they twice serviced by polaris pool cleaner without charge...and there acid strength is twice that of the big box stores. I also will buy some pool toys there occasionally. And here's some earth shaking news: pool stores are in business to make money (what you say?). To some here this is the motivation that leads to the habitual skewing of test results. Wow..sorry to see that some here actually believe that Leslie pool managers, for the most part, are immoral unethical money grabbing hustlers. To you folks, time to grab that tin foil and fashion some hats. Note this...I am not drawing the conclusion nor asserting that Leslies has a high percentage of pool testing accuracy..only that I seen nothing yet to suggest otherwise.

Haters will contine to hate. Can't temper with reason, the opinion of those who are convinced that Leslies is out to rob you, or similalrly, that they are boobs who don't know which end of a test vial to pick up.

But Hats off to those whose response to posts about Leslies is far less judgmental and made without less vitriol ...who focus on the merits of doing one's own testing and less on deriding the pool store owners. To you ppl, I only have this to say: when it comes time for us to take over your planet, you shall be spared

First off, I don't understand why you feel that Leslie's is being singled out. We recommend that pool owners steer clear of Pool $tores, it just happens that Leslie's is a large chain, and most of the time that is the store being discussed.

While I understand your point that some Pool $tore employees are quite accurate in their work and advice, a store is in business to make money, period, regardless the business. Seeing that most big-chain Pool $tores make most of that money on selling chemicals, I'm sure most tend to push miracle potions before they stress the importance of your FC to CYA ratio. TFP has proven, time and time again, that all you need to clear a green swamp is chlorine & patience.

Of course there is good and bad in all business, but my personal experience is that most big chain Pool $tores hire young kids on vacation from school as seasonal help. These kids have no interest in pool chemistry, just that weekly pay check.

It has been proven time and time again that all you need is a proper level of sanitizer to keep the pool clean and safe for swimmers. There is no need for all these crazy potions that most Pool $tores push onto uneducated customers. Besides the chemical stew that these Pool $tore would have you swimming in, the cost of these potions is ridiculous. My first season with a pool was under the guidance of a large-chain Pool $tore. I spent more the end of that season trying to clear my pool than I have spent for the last two entire swim seasons following TFP guidelines, and my pool has been clear as glass. All I use is chlorine.

A good example of this 'chemical pushing' is when algaecide is recommended to clear a green swamp. That is absolutely ridiculous. Algaecide is a preventive item, it does not kill algae, and is not a sanitizer. Never mind the fact that most algaecides contain copper, a metal that builds up and stains pool surfaces, hair & fingernails.

If you went to your doctor with the flu, and he said that you needed a flu shot to clear up your symptoms, would you go back to that doctor?

Yes, the important thing from all this is the fact that nobody will care to get your pool care right better than you. It's your pool, and it's your own family's enjoyment and well-being, so of course the pool owner has a vested interest to get it right. Do you really think that the 17 year old behind the counter of a Pool $tore has that same vested interest? Highly doubtful.

A good example of this 'chemical pushing' is when algaecide is recommended to clear a green swamp. That is absolutely ridiculous. Algaecide is a preventive item, it does not kill algae, and is not a sanitizer. ...

Slight hijack. I have found that algaecides do in fact kill algae. i have used minute amounts of several different types to clean up algae in bird baths. note that i am not saying algaecides are effective at clearing green swamps.

I can not comment from direct observation about Leslie's testing or my local pool store's testing. I wanted to test myself, as

1) I don't want to drive 30 minutes round trip all the time to do something I can do myself.

2) I want to be able to test when I want and as often as I want, so related to #1 - no need to drive. For example, I like to test after large groups swims to see if I need to bump up SWG for a while.

3) I know my testing should be consistent (taking into account tests inherent ranges), since I am the one doing it, the same way, with same tool, each time. Not relying on multiple staff, hoping they washed out their tubes, didn't cross contaminate anything, ...

4) I rather rely upon myself, and then blame only myself for any poor results. Heck, when driving I look at mirrors, speedometer, ect. myself, rather than relying on other passengers to do it for me.

I realllly like my local pool store. The people are great. I buy pool accessories and some things like salt and some chemicals from them. They do not push. Never been into our local Leslie's as I like my local privately owned store. But other than my first test, never been back there for that.

Jamislaw, while you have some valid points, all one needs to do is check out the recommended levels of chemicals Leslie's recommends from EVERY ONE OF THEIR STORES. Let's pretend that their testing is even close to accurate, one look at their recommended "good" range of Chlorine and CYA should be enough to steer everyone away from that business. Their universal document provided with every sample tested says you should be good with 1-3ppm Cl and 30-100 er 30-99 ppm CYA. You let me know how well your pool looks with 1-3ppm Cl and 99ppm CYA, lol. Add to that their business model of pushing PhosFree and PoolPerfect with almost every test discredits their whole operation, if that operation is to serve the customer.

Your response?

Here is something they do that isn't anecdotal. They sell Cal-hypo to people right here where I live, and never inform the consumer of the pitfalls of it's use. People go there trusting them for the right advice, and this certainly isn't.

Whether it's out of sheer ignorance, or negligence you can take your pick, but they do things like this that earn them a well deserved bad reputation here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Their universal document provided with every sample tested says you should be good with 1-3ppm Cl and 30-100

I have 6 months of test results from Leslies where the CYA seemed to variable bounce around, 60, 70, 90, 60 again, 100, 60, 99, 60. Prior to learning on this site it was never brought to my attention, and completley ignored by Leslies. I've actually talked to over a dozen pool owners on my street and at work about this because I couldn't comprehend why the pool store mentality was so completely different than this site. I found about 50% used pool store results, and 50% relied on pool professionals (at approx $100 a month) Not one of the people I talked to knew anything about testing themselves (I still don't know anyone that does outside this site and myself now)

Now to the pool store side most of the people I talked to use inline chlorine feeders with 3" tabs for as long as they can remember to chlorinate their pools, and most of them say it never causes any issues, the fully trust their pool store or pool guy. The pool store is obviously much more concerned with the phosphates in my pool than the CYA and to their testament starving algae does to some extent seem to produce acceptable results compared to maintaining the proper CYA/FC ratio specified on this site (or everyone I talked to was lying... Which I guess is possible but unlikely all of them would lie). So I'm too new to really say how important CYA is, but when I started testing and it was always the same way over 100, way over 100 (then I found that I could dilute it 50%) 200, 200, 200, and dilute it 25% (220 200, 220 it varied at this level) until I drained my pool and now it's till always the same 100, 100, 100 (unless I go to the pool store where I've got that old 60 and a new 80 so far...)

Now this could certainly be an issue with how I test (I fill sample about elbow length below the water at the deep end of my pool and I've moved around a few times (left of return to the right, etc) to see if it changed anything which it hasn't) I fill my sample to 7 ml pool water, increasing to 14 with tap water (which i tested independently and it has 0 CYA) then reducing to 7 and performing the test. If I miss the line by as much as a millimeter I start over. Every time my results are the same (except when I dilute to 25% which has to have a much larger margin of error) , and yet at the pool store my CYA is a multiple choice question which varies from each pool store (leslies, poolwerx, and pinchapenny). Believe me I do not take dismissing my pool store results lightly and I still use Leslies for many things, but I have 6+ months history to show their results are all over the place. While I may not be an expert yet I have performed over 40 tests in the last month and I think I'm getting pretty good at it. My results are never crazy like that unless I accidentally use the wrong multiplayer for the FAS-DPD (which I catch immediately since the results are no where near expected)

Anyway that's my .02 from the newby gallery....

-Tim

Even with the premise that the test is accurate (which I know isn't true), I'm not going to head over to Leslie's every day to have them test my water. If I had to perform a SLAM, that would require multiple trips a day. The convenience alone isn't worth it. Not to mention, I don't plan on buying anything from them so they are better off not having me waste there time testing. ...

I can not comment from direct observation about Leslie's testing or my local pool store's testing. I wanted to test myself, as

1) I don't want to drive 30 minutes round trip all the time to do something I can do myself.

This is kind of the end of it in my opinion. Let's say they are 100% accurate, I'm not driving to the gym every time I want to take a shower.

Slight hijack. I have found that algaecides do in fact kill algae. i have used minute amounts of several different types to clean up algae in bird baths. note that i am not saying algaecides are effective at clearing green swamps.
Given that even a "minute amount" in a birdbath is equal to dumping several bottles in a pool, I really don't think you have drawn a very good conclusion. ;)

Jaimslaw, you offer statistical relevance as an argument, then throw in your experience to support your claim despite being an anecdotal sample size of one. You also wrap up your entire statement with the usual "but I'm not drawing conclusions" despite writing out entire paragraphs making it quite clear that you are. Also throwing the extremely worn out "haters gonna hate" trope is funny. Attempting to say that those who disagree with you only do so specifically to disagree with you seems a bit self-centered? Seems all designed to make us believe that your statements are above reproach. They are not.

What I'm really trying to say is that for someone admonishing us because we are not basing our opinions on good solid data you came to the argument with a surprising lack of data. If you actually have data that isn't anecdotal and offers a large sample size then please bring it forward. Otherwise, all I can say about your conclusion that you most certainly are bringing forward is questionable at best and does not align with the data we do have available, anecdotal or otherwise.

But you can believe what you like. I just gotta remind myself that haters gonna hate :cool:

Again, algaecide is neither a sanitizer nor an oxidizer. It is a preventive measure to reduce the risk of algae.

Do you really think that the 17 year old behind the counter of a Pool $tore has that same vested interest? Highly doubtful.

From a purely anecdotal standpoint, I have never seen a 17 year old behind the counter if any of the pool stores I have entered. Me thinks you may be exagerrating a bit to make your point. Caveat...just my opinion, but from a business owner's perspective, I doubt Leslie's spends all that time on training employees just for seasonal work.

Given that even a "minute amount" in a birdbath is equal to dumping several bottles in a pool, I really don't think you have drawn a very good conclusion. ;)

Jaimslaw, you offer statistical relevance as an argument, then throw in your experience to support your claim despite being an anecdotal sample size of one. You also wrap up your entire statement with the usual "but I'm not drawing conclusions" despite writing out entire paragraphs making it quite clear that you are. Also throwing the extremely worn out "haters gonna hate" trope is funny. Attempting to say that those who disagree with you only do so specifically to disagree with you seems a bit self-centered? Seems all designed to make us believe that your statements are above reproach. They are not.

What I'm really trying to say is that for someone admonishing us because we are not basing our opinions on good solid data you came to the argument with a surprising lack of data. If you actually have data that isn't anecdotal and offers a large sample size then please bring it forward. Otherwise, all I can say about your conclusion that you most certainly are bringing forward is questionable at best and does not align with the data we do have available, anecdotal or otherwise.

But you can believe what you like. I just gotta remind myself that haters gonna hate :cool:

You really need to revisit my post and read it more carefully.

I don't draw any conclusions about pool stores - I only express an opinion based upon my experience...and question why others here assert as an emperical fact that pool stores are inept or fraudulent when testing your water. Please try to understand the difference between stating something as one's opinion and asserting something as an incontrovertible fact. Consequently, chiding me for "coming to this argument with a surprising lack of data" is a real head scratcher.

There is no intent on my part to admonish anyone about an opinion they form based upon their experience. If you revisit my post, you will perhaps see that its focus was on what is, and is not statistically significant when one posts something here that is offered as fact.

FWIW I made it clear that it is entirely possible pool stores do have a high error rate (tho I still have a problem believing as some do that what is at play here is greedy capitalism at its very worst...tantamount to fraud).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.