Why is Yellow Out or Yellow Trine Harmful to your pool?

I use pure Colorado River water as our fill water. Luckily, our water is really cheap (in the desert no less). The river TA is 130 and CH is 250 with a pH of 8.2.

Acid is my life. Twice a week. I finally gave in on the CH when it hit 900 in the pool and have done a drain / refill ($15 of water and $50 of chemicals).

Good luck. Your idea of using the pool water for landscaping and adding tap water to your pool is a great way to go. Richard in the LA area does the same I believe.

Take care.

Reactions: beeswax
As a fellow Californian, I can sympathize. Water is crazy expensive here in San Diego, and rock hard too. If it gives you any comfort, calcium scaling does gradually disappear once you get your TA and PH levels under control. I know because we had major calcium build up on the rock beneath our spa spillway. It used to bug me to no end. I would spend hours chipping at it, dousing it with acid, scraping it, rubbing it with pumice stones ... only to have it come right back. Once we got our water chemistry right, it pretty much started disappearing by itself.

Did you add Yellow Out, or Yellow Trine? They are not the same thing. I think there is more than one company selling a Yellow Out product, can you find the exact bottle you used online and post a link? Before answering any of those final questions we should probaby make sure you added sodium bromide to the pool.

Still waiting to hear from you...

Yea, i'm aware of it. It's how I got the TA from 200+ to 120. The only other thing is that the water coming from the city is 188. So i'm guessing this is going to be a never ending battle.

I use pure Colorado River water as our fill water. Luckily, our water is really cheap (in the desert no less). The river TA is 130 and CH is 250 with a pH of 8.2.

Acid is my life. Twice a week. I finally gave in on the CH when it hit 900 in the pool and have done a drain / refill ($15 of water and $50 of chemicals).

Good luck. Your idea of using the pool water for landscaping and adding tap water to your pool is a great way to go. Richard in the LA area does the same I believe.

Take care.

How is it that we get water from the same source and our TA levels are completely different?
Thanks. But is there any concerns with using pool water on the garden and grass? I remember reading a thread and someone saying it could have side effects.
But I figure the city water is pretty much the same thing? Maybe the only difference is I have a high level of CH. 850 compared to 200.

As a fellow Californian, I can sympathize. Water is crazy expensive here in San Diego, and rock hard too. If it gives you any comfort, calcium scaling does gradually disappear once you get your TA and PH levels under control. I know because we had major calcium build up on the rock beneath our spa spillway. It used to bug me to no end. I would spend hours chipping at it, dousing it with acid, scraping it, rubbing it with pumice stones ... only to have it come right back. Once we got our water chemistry right, it pretty much started disappearing by itself.

Yea, I have patches of scaling everywhere, it makes the pool look terrible. But the cost to acid wash? Just ridiculous.

Still waiting to hear from you...
Sorry. Yes, you added about 12 ppm of sodium bromide to your pool. Most of that is still there most likely so you are essentially managing a bromine pool. When you measure 2 ppm FC you are actually reading 4.5 ppm Br. When you add 1 ppm FC worth of bleach to your pool it is being quickly converted to 2.25 ppm Br, up until you convert all of the bromide to bromine around the 12 ppm mark. So if you added 10 ppm of FC, 5.5 would be converted to 12 ppm Br and the remaining 4.5 would stay FC until it reacts with an organic, is broken down by sunlight, or some bromine is broken down to bromide and the chlorine converts it back to bromine. These are all fairly rough numbers and your bromine bank is probably less than 12 now, but not by much.

So the plus side? Shock level for bromine is 23 so you can't overdo it, the FC above that level is stabilized as normal. But you might find swimming to be a bit less comfortable when the Br level is above 5, have you noticed that at all since adding the sodium bromide?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.