why is my toenail polish chipping???????

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Well, here's a mystery for ya! Last summer I spent some time at some friend's pool (they have a SWG) and every time my toenail polish would chip! Kinda figured maybe it was something they were doing, so I didn't really pay much attention. Well, now that I have my own pool with a SWG it's doing it again! I only stood on the stairs for a few minutes and also hung my feet in for a few minutes. By this morning, almost all toes were chipped!

I understand that you men will not be able to relate nor really care, but ladies....does anyone else's toenail polish chip?? What could be causing this??? :scratch:

Karen

Well, off the top of my head, I might guess that toenails are porous to some extent, and if they soak in water, they will absorb some, swell up a teensy bit, and cause the polish to chip.

This is a total WAG, but seems to make sense...

Yeah, makes sense; but last summer when a couple of us girls were having this issue we asked around to others that owned pools and no one else seemed to have this problem. And, I've been in pools all my life and I never remember having this issue before. One thing that kind of stands out is that the pool store that she uses to balance her water is the same PB that did my pool and initial (although nothing since) chemicals.

Could there be something in the Bioguard chemicals that is causing this?? Any chemistry here that you are aware of that would have this effect??

Ok, I really hate to jump in on this, but this is my business. I am in Cosmetics.

The toenails if not properly cut, and manicured, will have edges and rises. The Saline is softer then a regular pool, so you will have to insure the edges do not have any irregularities. When you cut your toe nails, you must file them after, and only file in one direction.

A good top coat should make your toe nails last twice as long as your fingers. Often ladies will use a brighter polish on their toes, and these promotional shades are usually at a lower price. That lower price reflects the quality of adhesion, the higher price polishes have characteristics that make them last longer, shine brighter and some can infact be considered a treatment product.

I cant believe I just typed that all in, but as a good friend of mine says, tough job, calling on great looking ladies for a living.

Hope this helps.

Rik

Attachments

• IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 7
i, too, hate to chip in on this topic, but hey... just trying to help.

Just out of curiosity, I just went and let my feet soak in my swg'd pool for about 30 minutes... no chipping so far.

MidTnGal... feel free to come let your toes soak in my pool (as long as you deem neccesary)... let's see if the above theory holds water, or if indeed, it is just the saltwater in TN.

again, just trying to help,

Steve

Oh my goodness! Happy Cinco de Mayo you guys!! :lol:

Oh gosh..where to start! I use OPI for both finger and toe nails (so cheap is out of the question!). Fingers don't really count since they are of the acrilic, vietnamese kind. The toes on the other hand are mine and I do them for the most part myself. Since I am a Southern lady, the finger nails and the toe nails are of the same color of which I provide. :wink:

Just have to ask Stevie...did you polish those tootsies before you allowed them to soak for allotted time frame???? :p

And, Mr. Poolidiot, I may not be exact in my performance of pedicure as you describe...but, I never *have* been so, so this is not a factor. As I was celebrating Cinco de Mayo with my pool friend this evening she asked if I had this issue at the beach, which I can answer, no, I don't have this problem at the beach so I am thinking this almost has to be a chemical imbalance issue. Most especially since the only pools known to have this issue is ours....apparently.

Please don't tell me that me of the "please don't make me learn any chemistry" ilk has stumped the "authorities"!! :lol: :lol:

Thompson's® WaterSeal® waterproofers protect your surfaces from the elements and provide the highest level of waterproofing protection available. Choose from a variety of products, including multi-surface (for wood, brick or concrete) and wood protector and a new formulas that resists chipping, seperation and UV damage of toe nails while swimming. Just dip your toes in the one gallon bucket and your good for a month. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, dang waterbear...why didn't I think of that!!! :wink: Actually, I already know I don't have this problem at the beach....not that I probably shouldn't go just to be 100% sure! :-D

Well, I can see that this is apparently a "personal problem"!! Not surprising that I'm the only one this happens to! Oh well, thanks for the laughs!

waterbear said:
Easy way to see if it's the salt. Take a vacation to the Bahamas and go in the ocean and see if the polish chips!

I use OPI on toes only, fingers are acrylic powder french, double gel topcoat. My tootsie's did not chip, peel, nor otherwise have a problem when I went to St. Marteen in March.

uhhh... no, ms tngal, I didn't polish my tootsies before my experiment... knew I must've forgotten something... seemed way too easy to be scientific.... but my offer stands, all the same.

no cinca excuses either, but trying to make up for that today...

best of luck with your issues

It's the salt. This I know from experience. I have never had an issue before we started using salt in our pools about 3 years ago. Why I don't know, but I do know that it became a problem when we started with the salt pool vs plain chlorination

NWMNMom...that's what I was afraid of! Dang it! :evil: I just got all this put together and now I'm going to be resigned to having to redo my toes all the time???? :thumbdown: What are you doing about it? Have you just given up on having polish?

stevenbrla...yeah, yeah, yeah....I hear ya! I'll let you know when I'm on my way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

midtngal said:
Actually, I already know I don't have this problem at the beach
Question, when you go to the beach do you spend as much time in the water as when you are at your pool? Most people I know seem to spend less time in the ocean and more on the beach working on their tans but seem to spend more time in pools and less on the lounge chairs when arond the pool.

Actually, probably so. When I go to the beach, I will get a low chair and sit at the water's edge most of the day. You'd think that would be worse since not only is the salt water all over my feet most of the day, but so is the sand!

This just really baffles me because I had never come across this before last summer. But, since that was also the first salt pool that I've been in, it would make sense that it would be the culprit!

Okay, so now....how long will this salt system last???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.