Why is higher CYA recommended with SWG?

C,

Because you are adding a little chlorine over a longer period of time, it is easier for the FC to stay in the right range.. And... it helps to keep the sun from burning off the FC too quickly, which allows you to run the cell at a lower output..

It is not a requirement... Try running with lower CYA if you want... just as long as you always keep the FC above the minimum. I personally use the "target" as my minimum so that I don't need to test quite so often..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Philo
For what it is worth, my CYA is at 50, my IC40 is running at 40% for 18-20 hours per day, water temp is 90, and it is not really keeping up. I had to pour in a gallon of bleach to bump it up quickly. I ordered a 4lb jug of CYA off Amazon, and going to shoot for CYA of 70 and see if that helps.

my IC40 is running at 40% for 18-20 hours per day, water temp is 90, and it is not really keeping up
You do not show a pool volume but from your dimensions I am guessing about 17000 gallons. Based on your run time data, you are creating 3ppm FC per day. I would suggest bumping your SWCG to 50% so it created 3.7 ppm FC per day and see how that goes.

You do not show a pool volume but from your dimensions I am guessing about 17000 gallons. Based on your run time data, you are creating 3ppm FC per day. I would suggest bumping your SWCG to 50% so it created 3.7 ppm FC per day and see how that goes.

Yeah, my guesstimate is right around 16k-17k gallons. One of my annoyances with the IC40 is the limited choices in output...I can either do 2,4,6,8,10% or 20,40,60,80,100%. From what I can tell, no way to do something else, like 50%, so I have been trying to adjust my run time accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.