Why get a SWCG rated for more than your Pool Volume?

CopperGirl

Feb 7, 2023
SoFL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just curious and trying to learn but why would I buy the IC60 versus the IC20? My pool is only 12K gal.? The installer we are thinking of going with wants to install a Hayward AQR-925 for $2100 plus 8 bags of salt and tax. Is the 925 overkill for our pool? Also, is evertyhing tested the same way for a salt pool as a chlorinated pool? Can I still use the TF-100 test kit with an SWG? Thanks.

Moved from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt Cells have a designated lifespan in hours. The bigger the cell, the fewer hours you have to run them to obtain all the chlorine you want/need. Also because salt systems work like a tortoise...slow and steady rather than fast you want insurance that you've got all you want when you want it.
My first cell was nearly 3x my pool volume and it lasted 9+ years. Made things really nice and simple.
An undersized salt cell has been the cause of many newcomers here with problems. They mistakenly assume they're getting all the chlorine they need but don't, along with many not testing. They assume its a "set it and forget it" feature, and its not.

Just add the Taylor K-1766 Salt test kit to your test kit and you'll be set.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88
The other reason is cost. An ic60 has 3X the lifespan of an ic20, but only costs about 40% more. It only has to last 1.4X as long as the IC20 to break even. If it dies early at 2X, you still made out big. If it lasts the whole 3X it literally saved you thousands in the long run.

The bigger units save on electricity also with shorter pump run time required, especially for single speed pumps.

A 1X unit needs to run 24/7 to produce the daily FC loss of the peak season.

A 2X unit can do the same in 12 hours a day.

A 3X unit can do the same in 8 hours a day.

I would have gone 3X in a heartbeat if a big enough residential unit was available.

Salt Cells have a designated lifespan in hours. The bigger the cell, the fewer hours you have to run them to obtain all the chlorine you want/need. Also because salt systems work like a tortoise...slow and steady rather than fast you want insurance that you've got all you want when you want it.
My first cell was nearly 3x my pool volume and it lasted 9+ years. Made things really nice and simple.
An undersized salt cell has been the cause of many newcomers here with problems. They mistakenly assume they're getting all the chlorine they need but don't, along with many not testing. They assume its a "set it and forget it" feature, and its not.

Just add the Taylor K-1766 Salt test kit to your test kit and you'll be set.

Great! Thanks Maddie. I figured there had to be some logical reason why I was referred to the IC60. So the AQR-925 recommended by the pool store should give me the same benefit as the IC60 (I guess they are a Hayward distributor and only offer Hayward), meaning I will not be struggling to keep up with my chlorine demands with the 925? Thanks.

Reactions: hjc4604
The other reason is cost. An ic60 has 3X the lifespan of an ic20, but only costs about 40% more. It only has to last 1.4X as long as the IC20 to break even. If it dies early at 2X, you still made out big. If it lasts the whole 3X it literally saved you thousands in the long run.

The bigger units save on electricity also with shorter pump run time required, especially for single speed pumps.

A 1X unit needs to run 24/7 to produce the daily FC loss of the peak season.

A 2X unit can do the same in 12 hours a day.

A 3X unit can do the same in 8 hours a day.

I would have gone 3X in a heartbeat if a big enough residential unit was available.
So what would you say the AQR-925 is? 2X or 3X?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like it's a 25k model so roughly 2x. Its within reccomended spec if the price is right and/or you'd like Hayward automation down the road.
Oh I see, so based on the capacity of my pool, that's what the 2x or 3x means. So if I wanted a 3X unit, I'd be looking at a 36K-40K model. Is there less pump run time with a larger unit?
You aren't limited to a Hayward system. There could be better options out there... can you self install ?
www.discountsaltpool.com
They often have sales where for $5-10 more you upsize the cell...great deal!

I probably could but don't want to :cool:

Reactions: newdude
Yes....less pump run time to generate a given amount of chlorine.
OK cause I was told by pool store that with the 925, I would need to run pump in winter into spring 8 hours then spring on 8-10. What do you figure it would be with the 940? I'm in South Florida so very wet spring into fall and of course very intense sun (but we don't swim much). Fall and winter are usually a bit wet and still hot (above 80 most days of fall and winter).

So the pool store wants an additional $400 for the AQR 940. Obviously there will be less pump run time and I guess I would be able to keep it at a lower percentage as well in order to replace/generate 2ppm every day? I've done the pool math as far as output and the FC level based on output and percentage but don't really know how to figure out if the extra $400 would be worth it. Is there a simple way to figure this out?

Also, is there an advantage to choosing pump run time vs %? How do you decide whether to raise the pump run time and lower % or raise percentage and lower run time? Thanks.

Your pool will likely consume 4 ppm FC per day (or more) during the summer, unless you have a screened in pool.

How do you decide whether to raise the pump run time and lower % or raise percentage and lower run time?
The links below should help you with that question. Hope that helps.

The power box is the same for both models.

The 940 cell should produce 1.5 times as much chlorine per day as the 925 cell and 1.5 times as much chlorine per total lifetime.

So, the cell (not system) is theoretically worth about 1.5 times as much.

Both systems have a 4 year warranty, so you're covered for at least 4 years.

If you have a variable speed pump, I would probably get a 925 and run it as needed and if it dies in less than 4 years, you get a new cell.

If you have a single speed pump, I would get the 940 to reduce pump run time.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Yes, you still use the TF-100 with a SWG.
You do need to test for salt though. Add the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.
Do you have a SpeedStir or similar? Using one makes testing SO much easier and much more consistent.

The 940 is the better value long term and allows for better option in run times.
Look around at other pool stores, suppliers and pool services for better pricing.

Reactions: hjc4604
Yes, you still use the TF-100 with a SWG.
You do need to test for salt though. Add the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.
Do you have a SpeedStir or similar? Using one makes testing SO much easier and much more consistent.

The 940 is the better value long term and allows for better option in run times.
Look around at other pool stores, suppliers and pool services for better pricing.
Thanks. I will get the K-1766 and yes I have a Speedstir...great investment! Leslie's was $600 cheaper for the SwimPure Extreme 40K than Pinch a Penny...yikes!

Reactions: proavia and newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.