Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Loved my Poolvergnuegen (aka The PoolCleaner) but it's having some trouble. Took it apart and had a look but to no avail. I just don't know if I want to deal with having to continually take a robot out of the pool and put it back in. How often do i do that? What if I go on vacation? Where do I store it when it's not in the pool? I'm in the Phoenix area and we get LOTS of damaging sun. Cleaning the filters on a robot seem to be just as much work as emptying the leaf canister on my suction-side cleaner. Are the robots that superior in cleaning ability to warrant a switch? Will I backwash less with a robot?

I don't have a VS pump, but I have a 2 speed pump. Will running the pump on low be able to sufficiently skim the pool if I buy a robot?

Lots of questions I know...if you folks know of a link that addresses them, please send along!

Thanks so much.

Dan,
I put my robot in the pool any time I have any debris on the bottom of the pool. This usually equates to once or twice every two weeks. This takes away the necessity of having to vacuum and brush down my pool. The robot does that for me. Basically, I place it in the pool, turn it on, and come back in two hours. I will then remove the robot, dump and spray off the filters (5 minutes max it takes). I then put the robot away (for me that is in a outside chest that sits by the pool). Whole process takes about 15 minutes of my time while getting the benefit of having a sparkling clean pool with brushed walls and floor.

If taking a robot in and out of your pool every two weeks is too much for you, then a robot is not for you. However if you can see the benefit of not having to worry about things like brushing and vacuuming, then you cannot beat a robot. I just love putting my robot in and drinking a beer bragging about how I am cleaning my pool. I am not trying to sell you on one. I am just saying that like my SWG, I will never be without a robot either.

I have had one problem with my robot and that was when I had a bungee cord fall into the pool. The robot got tangled in it and I had to send it off to get repaired. It was repaired so quickly that I did not even miss a cleaning. Some have more problems, but I take care of mine and it has worked flawlessly.

Maytronics.com <---link to great bots. They also make robots under other brand names so it helps to know which ones they are and price shop.
My robot pretty much lives in the pool and we take it out about once a week to empty the large filter basket.
Robots DO clean far, far better than suction or pressure side cleaners.
With the use of skimmer socks and a robot, your filter can stay cleaner so you rarely need to clean it/backwash it.

Mine--> Dolphin S200 Robotic Pool Cleaners - Maytronics

Maddie :flower:

If taking a robot in and out of your pool every two weeks is too much for you, then a robot is not for you. However if you can see the benefit of not having to worry about things like brushing and vacuuming, then you cannot beat a robot. I just love putting my robot in and drinking a beer bragging about how I am cleaning my pool.

Thanks Holydoc. I just think that I'd be using the robot more than once a week or so, given that I get a medium amount of debris plus i am anal about my pool's cleanliness :) With my suction side I can also drink a beer and brag about cleaning the pool :) You are right tho, I still have to brush sides and steps. If I were manually vacuuming instead of having a suction side cleaner, I'd be all in on a robot.

Another feature of robots I forgot to mention---> CHEAPER to run than pressure/suction cleaners as you don't need to have the pool pump turned on to have the cleaner work.

Thanks Yippee. Doesn't the pool pump have to run in order to circulate the water and to skim the debris before it sinks to the bottom? If not then could I get rid of my pump and filter?

Thanks Yippee. Doesn't the pool pump have to run in order to circulate the water and to skim the debris before it sinks to the bottom? If not then could I get rid of my pump and filter?

Some folks have a second pump just to run a vacuum. Getting rid of an unneeded pump saves a ton of electricity. Your pool's pump and filter will still be needed though.

I just replaced my Polaris 360 with a dolphin active 20 ( Pentair version ) and I can tell you it's day and night in how good it cleans..A couple of night ago we have bad storms and bottom of my pool was covered on tiny balls off the hardwood trees. ( somebody may know the official name for them ) I ran one cycle and it got 95% of them. Most were so small the Polaris would have spit most of them threw the bag..

I also keep mine in the pool all the time, I was able to run the cable in a corner of the pool and have it set to run everyday.

Reactions: DanF
I just replaced my Polaris 360 with a dolphin active 20 ( Pentair version ) and I can tell you it's day and night in how good it cleans..A couple of night ago we have bad storms and bottom of my pool was covered on tiny balls off the hardwood trees. ( somebody may know the official name for them ) I ran one cycle and it got 95% of them. Most were so small the Polaris would have spit most of them threw the bag..

I also keep mine in the pool all the time, I
was able to run the cable in a corner of the pool and have it set to run everyday.
I also run mine a couple times a day when junk is falling like it is now. Just a simple push of a button

Where do you robot owners keep the control boxes? I'm VERY afraid to leave mine out here in AZ. Not so bad right now, but the summer sun here will fry anything electronic if not protected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.