Who to choose?

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
Hello I am new here and live in FL. I am looking to build a 15x30 IG pool. I have received three proposals two are at close to 47k, one is closer to 44k. What should I be looking for when making a decision? Each pool company uses a different pump Jandy VSP, Hayward 2SP, and Pentair VSP.

Thank you.

I would see which one is offering the best equipment (to me that would be the one offering the vsp). Then, think about feel you got from them. Did you feel at ease and feel like they were confident yet accomodating? Were they open to your ideas? At the end of the day you can include whatever equipment you like in your contract (or should be able to), so it comes down to the one you feel the best about. Research each company and see what their reviews are like. See if you can view pools they’ve built in the past and chat to the owners. I wouldn’t (and didn’t) bade my decision on a 3K difference.

Share the quotes with model numbers. We can check them out for you.

Kim:kim:

Yeah, please share quotes, I too live in FL and could really benefit from seeing current pricing out there. Here's my posted quote https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...n-pricing-and-equipment?p=1410188#post1410188

From my perspective, without specifics of the builds, go by reputation. Check neighborhood message boards, Nextdoor, facebook groups. See who is recommended. See who had bad incidence, and judge if it was a deal breaker for you.

Here is quote 1, I will remove the water features it comes very close to the quote 2. I have another quote from a third but smaller pool builder who is charging more for a smaller pool, but it includes Pentair which he claims is superior to all other brands and that is what makes them different.

• [FONT=&quot]Pool Size per Premier provided drawing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]3’ to 5’ deep[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All Plans & Drawings[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All necessary permits[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Normal grading and removal of sod from pool site and deck area [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Dewatering with [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yard allowance for rock[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]________[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Steel reinforced, engineered for pool requirements[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pool light [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wide mouth pool skimmer, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Hayward main drains and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] return fittings[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pool Deck per Premier Provided Drawing [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 or 3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6 x 6 tile of choice with $5.00 allowance [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hayward Cartridge Filter [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Inline chlorinator/ erosion feeder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 Speed pool pump as determined by TDH Calculations [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Electrical hook up with pre-wire service (within 30 feet)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]One set shallow end steps and deep end bench [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Exposed Aggregate Pool interior [/FONT][FONT=&quot](10 Year Warranty)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Standard Pool Maintenance Kit[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Complete Job Site Cleanup & Sidewalk Repair [/FONT][FONT=&quot](if necessary)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Initial start up with owner instructions [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Pool School)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lifetime[/FONT][FONT=&quot] structural shell & underground plumbing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Warranty[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]**This proposal does not include fill, retaining wall, tree and stump removal, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sod or irrigation repair or Gas heater and/or gas feature hookup or cost related to gas hookup**[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Standard Pool Features:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] $ 51,500.00 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Includes Pool , Deck and Equipment (Per Premier Plan) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Includes Double Steel where needed, if required[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Options:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Permitting[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]included[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stand Alone Blue Essence Salt system[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$1,010.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pebble Interior (LifetimeWarrenty)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$3,989.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paver Decking Decking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5,000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brick Paver Coping [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$2,450.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery Powered Door Alarms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$350.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pool Cleaner Line[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$195.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove exsisting paver from Lanai[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$416.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Area Deck Drainage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$699.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paver Deck Footer for Screen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$2,575.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Screen Enclosure[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$7,899.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colore Led Light[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$330.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12" raised planter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$1,990.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]24" waterfall sheers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$1,365.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] increased depth 3.6''-5'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spotter Tiles on all benches[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Small Access needed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$1,100.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Payments made by ☒ Check or ☐ Credit Card[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Total[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$ 51,500.00[/FONT]

Quote 2

. Pool package, custom designed in 3D by oneof our professional designers.
2. Reinforced gunite concrete shell.
3. Standard pool 3ft to 6ft deep.
4. 10 year warranty quartz finish.
5. Choice of 6x6 custom waterline tile.
6. One set of steps and one swim out with tile.7. Acrylic deck with cantilever edge.

8. One 120 volt 300 watt white Jandy light in pool.9. Jandy cartridge filter.

10. Jandy energy efficient programmable variable 8 speed pump.
11. Pebble Top debris Catching Main Drain.
12. Automatic Inline chlorinator.
13. Maintenance equipment: vacuum head, vacuum hose,

brush, telescopic pole, leaf net, and water testing kit.14. A personal pool orientation, with one month of
maintenance and professional start up.
15. One gunite incased skimmer and one pool cleaner line.
16. EnviroPool+ 8 jet circulation & sanitation system.
17. Automatic overflow water leveling system.
18. iQ Pump Interface Smart Phone Controller

Extra Options Included with Your Pool Quote

13'6"x27"364

Pool Dimensions:pool Area:

Small Machine / Shuttle Escavation - 7ft access neededStandard Quartz Interior Finish
Jandy - 35 K Salt Chlorine Generator
Cut & Cap / reroute irrigation

Notes: Option for Privacay Screen Discussed. Will need to see where you want it installed to determine sq ft needed to price accordingly.Full Infloor cleaning system is an additional $1,800.00 this will clean pool automatically and no in pool vacuum would be required.Larger Pool (15x30) is $2291.00 additional.
Total Investment: $Facebook Summer event $

Deck Dimensions:Deck Area:

26'9"x40'

Remove Small Paver Door Pad
Install New Paver Deck, match existing lanai color / styleBrick Paver Coping
Footer Under Pavers for Screen Enclosure
Screen Enclosure with Dome Roof / 2 Doors

Net Investment

Quote Expires: 9/29/2017

$ 41,873.00

Full Infloor cleaning system is an additional $1,800.00 this will clean pool automatically and no in pool vacuum would be required

That's a good one :)

I can't tell the pool sizes, but 3 ft is really shallow. I see the "upgrade" to 3.5 in the first one but not the second. Also, I don't see returns mentioned in the 2nd one either. I did notice that the first finish was exposed aggregate but the second was quartz. I have quartz and like it just fine but the exposed aggregate is the more expensive (and probably better) finish. I say go big or go home, get the biggest pool you can with the most returns and skimmers.

Pool sizes are 15x30. The second quote has two prices, one for 14x28 and one for 15x30. I know 3 feet is shallow, but I have young kids, I can make it 3.5 feet. I am really a complete novice to this pool stuff, why is the floor cleaning system funny lol?

I have 0 experience with in floor "cleaners" and I've seen some people that think they help a lot but I highly doubt they keep anybody from ever vacuuming or using a robot. If a genie came to my door and offered me an instant floor cleaning system for $1800 I'd pass. That's like 2.5 robots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool sizes are 15x30. The second quote has two prices, one for 14x28 and one for 15x30. I know 3 feet is shallow, but I have young kids, I can make it 3.5 feet. I am really a complete novice to this pool stuff, why is the floor cleaning system funny lol?

Kids won’t be young for long. Before you know it they will be lanky teenagers. Build for the future, not for now.

Infoor cleaning systems often require supplemental cleaning as they don’t always get to all areas. You will still need to brush your pool. When something goes wrong they can be very expensive and time consuming to fix. Robot is a fraction of the price and if it stops working you can pop to the shop or jump online and have new one in there almost immediately. I can see the appeal but to me having all that plumbing under the pool spells nightmare if things go wrong.

Kids won’t be young for long. Before you know it they will be lanky teenagers. Build for the future, not for now.

Infoor cleaning systems often require supplemental cleaning as they don’t always get to all areas. You will still need to brush your pool. When something goes wrong they can be very expensive and time consuming to fix. Robot is a fraction of the price and if it stops working you can pop to the shop or jump online and have new one in there almost immediately. I can see the appeal but to me having all that plumbing under the pool spells nightmare if things go wrong.

thanks my question was more about feedback on the quotes. I wasn’t interested in the vacuum

I agree with Riley00dog, Do you know anyone who has used either builder? Read reviews or recommendations of either?

The builder I chose for my own project was quick to address questions about any and every part of the process that I had. If I came up with an idea, it was always an option but he explained pros and cons of the matter such as stamped/stained concrete characteristics when used as a pool deck. He also gave me some examples of jobs that DIDN'T go right and what was done on their part to rectify the problem. The kicker was a phone list of probably 30 names and numbers to customers they had built pools for in my area and he invited me to call any of them and hear first hand what they thought. He said it's a rarity in this industry to have customers willing to do that for a builder as builds can often end on bad terms for people. And yes, I volunteered to be on the list for the next guy.

It's not always black and white based on the dollar, there's more to it when so much is on the line. Good luck with your selection!

I agree with Riley00dog, Do you know anyone who has used either builder? Read reviews or recommendations of either?

The builder I chose for my own project was quick to address questions about any and every part of the process that I had. If I came up with an idea, it was always an option but he explained pros and cons of the matter such as stamped/stained concrete characteristics when used as a pool deck. He also gave me some examples of jobs that DIDN'T go right and what was done on their part to rectify the problem. The kicker was a phone list of probably 30 names and numbers to customers they had built pools for in my area and he invited me to call any of them and hear first hand what they thought. He said it's a rarity in this industry to have customers willing to do that for a builder as builds can often end on bad terms for people. And yes, I volunteered to be on the list for the next guy.

It's not always black and white based on the dollar, there's more to it when so much is on the line. Good luck with your selection!

thanks. I will choose the company that has better online reviews and has been more approachable and better communication. Does anyone see anything in the proposals that I should worry about or request to change?

Always include a vac line whether u have in floor or robot. I've had 2 different pools with in floor systems, 1 worked really well and would be worth every penny while the other didn't keep the pool clean. A lot of it depends on what is getting your pool. I'd ask for the references that chose an in floor system in your area and see how they like them. But you will still need a vac line at some point.

Stay away from any "Inline chlorinator or erosion feeder", they use 3" chlorine tablets. The contain CYA (also know as stabilizer). Some CYA in a pool is needed and a good thing, but every year we have hundreds (I'm not exaggerating) of pool owners show up on these forums not understanding why their pool keeps turning green. The stabilizer helps shield the chlorine from UV degradation, but at higher levels it also impairs the ability of chlorine to do it's work. The higher the stabilizer level you have the higher the amount of chlorine you need, but few people (or pool stores) know this. So, they keep recommending a static chlorine level of 2 - 4. As the stabilizer builds up the chlorine can no linger kill the algae.

So, if no erosion feeder what do you want. One of them quoted a salt water chlorine generator. That is what you want. I'm guestimating a 15 X 30 pool with an average depth of 4.5 feet ends up at about 15,000 gallons. So, you want a salt water chlorine generator that is rated for 30,000 gallons.

You want all 2" piping

Both are quoting a "Cartridge Filter", but don't say which one. Most people end up with too big a pump and too small a filter. If you get too small a filter you end up cleaning it every other weekend.If you stick with a cartridge filter, you want a big one - preferably a multi cartridge filter. Personally, I'd go for a sand filter.

For safety, the two main drains are going to be tied together, but you want the main drains and the skimmer home run back to the equipment pad in separate pipes and you want a valve on each of these pipes so you can isolate them (on/off) if you need to.

Any pipes going back to the pool should also be home run with valves.

Tell them you want a pipe to the pool for a possible future pressure cleaner. That will end up being stubbed up and capped at the equipment pad and a flat plug in the wall of the pool. Having an extra pipe to the pool gives you options in the future.

Skip the in-floor cleaning system. They sound great, but from the number of folks who show up here with problems you end up with a 50/50 chance of problems in the future. Robots are the way to go.

You deck can never be too big.

Tell each one that you don't want the useless cheap test kit they give out, you want a Taylor K-2006-C and nothing less.

On-line reviews are almost useless. Businesses fake the reviews all the time. If possible you want to see one or two of the pools they have built and talk to the owners.

Ask about their payment schedule. You want a sufficient hold back at the end to make it worth their while to address concerns near the end of the project.

The contractor needs to provide you with a copy of their license, their insurance with you listed as an addition insured and a permit issued before you give them anything more than a token amount of money (say $1,000).

Are they using sub-contractors or their own employees. You will need a release of lien from an sub-contractor who works on your property. it's no fun when a sub-contractor puts a lien on you house title because the pool builder didn't pay them.

Before the first shovel is stuck in the dirt call your homeowners insurance, explain what you are doing and have a construction rider added to your policy. Even though the contractor has insurance you want to be fully protected when one of the neighborhood kids runs across your back yard and falls in the hole.

I received an updated quote from the first company. I would appreciate if you all can look over it and let me know if there is anything that I should change. The salesperson told me they would match or beat quote 2 above. So far the main difference I see is that this builder is using a 2 speed pump while the other is using a variable speed pump:

• [FONT=&quot]Pool Size per Premier provided drawing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]3’ to 5’ deep[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]All Plans & Drawings[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]All necessary permits[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Normal grading and removal of sod from pool site and deck area [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Dewatering with [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yard allowance for rock[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]________[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Steel reinforced, engineered for pool requirements[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Pool light [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wide mouth pool skimmer, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Hayward main drains and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] return fittings[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Pool Deck per Premier Provided Drawing [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 or 3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]6 x 6 tile of choice with $5.00 allowance [/FONT][FONT=&quot](2 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Hayward Cartridge Filter [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Inline chlorinator/ erosion feeder[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]2 Speed pool pump as determined by TDH Calculations [/FONT][FONT=&quot](3 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Electrical hook up with pre-wire service (within 30 feet)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]One set shallow end steps and deep end bench [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Exposed Aggregate Pool interior [/FONT][FONT=&quot](10 Year Warranty)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Standard Pool Maintenance Kit[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Complete Job Site Cleanup & Sidewalk Repair [/FONT][FONT=&quot](if necessary)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Initial start up with owner instructions [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Pool School)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Lifetime[/FONT][FONT=&quot] structural shell & underground plumbing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Warranty[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]**This proposal does not include fill, retaining wall, tree and stump removal, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sod or irrigation repair or Gas heater and/or gas feature hookup or cost related to gas hookup**[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Standard Pool Features:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] $ 47,760.00 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Includes Pool , Deck and Equipment (Per Premier Plan) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Includes Double Steel where needed, if required[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Options:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Permitting[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stand Alone Blue Essence Salt system[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Quartz Interior (10 year warrenty)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]included     [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paver Decking Decking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]inudedc[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brick Paver Coping[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery Powered Door Alarms[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pool Cleaner Line[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove exsisting paver from Lanai[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Deck Drainage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Standard Deck Footer for Screen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Screen Enclosure[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Increase depth to 6'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spotter Tiles on all benches[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Micro Dig[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]     [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]     [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]     [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]     [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Payments made by ☒ Check or ☐ Credit Card[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Total[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$ 47,760.00[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Does not include retaining wall, sod or irrigation repair or special grading and land fill considerations. Lots requiring special access for mini excavator and shuttle dig not included. [/FONT]

Still no model numbers. That is VERY important for things like the filter, pump, SWG as there is quite a range in size/power for all of them.

If they are willing to match prices they might be willing to move up to a VS pump. Can't hurt to ask.

Kim:kim:

The 2nd quote includes automation but I can't tell if the first does. I think the 2nd equipment list is much better. Saltwater generator, variable speed pump, automation, etc.

I would suggest more than 3 feet as well. Your kids will grow quickly. Perhaps consider an 18" sundeck if you have the room and budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.