Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have 2 now and have been looking at automatic winders. I have a bit of analysis paralysis. Any recommendations? Are they bad for watches? I could go months without wearing a watch is it better off just stopped instead of running?

I can't see how it would hurt the mechanics. If it was a smart watch it would lose all its settings but with nothing but gears/springs/whatnot a 'dumb' device wouldn't care if it was off.

I think the question would be how long it takes to have enough power to run again. If you cab set it and have it work just by wearing it again, then you'd never even know other than having to set it when it sat.

I have been having a watch winder for over 8 years. I think I got it from Sharper Image or some similar mail-order firm.
There are 2 models for either single or dual watches. I have had zero problems with my watch. It is always kept time.

I have 2 now and have been looking at automatic winders. I have a bit of analysis paralysis. Any recommendations? Are they bad for watches? I could go months without wearing a watch is it better off just stopped instead of running?
I used to have one and had to have it repaired from wearing it when I went mountain biking. The claim was that the vibrations and extreme forces of biking were not compatible with the self-winding mechanism. Since at the time I rode daily, I asked if one of the winders would be ok to use and they indicated it would be no problem. Never got it, though- the watch was stolen shortly after getting it repaired. :(

I used to have one and had to have it repaired from wearing it when I went mountain biking. The claim was that the vibrations and extreme forces of biking were not compatible with the self-winding mechanism. Since at the time I rode daily, I asked if one of the winders would be ok to use and they indicated it would be no problem. Never got it, though- the watch was stolen shortly after getting it repaired. :(

Well that is a sad story! :cry:

I went ahead and got a cheap one from Amazon but I decided I am going to make my own "fancy" winder using my woodworking skills. This was after seeing some selling upwards of $1500. I am trying to work out the gearing. I think I will use a low-speed DC motor along with a speed controller. I'll connect the watch rotators I using a timing belt and small gear on each winder. Seems to work in my head anyway. :laughblue:

Well that is a sad story! :cry:

I went ahead and got a cheap one from Amazon but I decided I am going to make my own "fancy" winder using my woodworking skills. This was after seeing some selling upwards of $1500. I am trying to work out the gearing. I think I will use a low-speed DC motor along with a speed controller. I'll connect the watch rotators I using a timing belt and small gear on each winder. Seems to work in my head anyway. :laughblue:
Yeah, it was a gift from a friend who I helped out, and the only way I was ever going to own a Rolex (I'm kind of cheap! LOL). I hope the jerk who ransacked my apartment is enjoying it.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
This was after seeing some selling upwards of $1500.
How COW that alot for the sake of lazy.

So today I learned that you can wind automatic watches. I'd go that way if it was a rarely used watch for special occasions. Set it, spin the wheel a bunch and be on your way. Then put it back until the next wedding, etc

How COW that alot for the sake of lazy.

So today I learned that you can wind automatic watches. I'd go that way if it was a rarely used watch for special occasions. Set it, spin the wheel a bunch and be on your way. Then put it back until the next wedding, etc

You wind them with the crown. It'd take you forever to spin the wheel to wind it! And they only last for 2-3 days on a full wind. Mine has a 50 hour power reserve I believe. It doesn't really matter much if you have no date window. I do on both of my Automatics.

You just KNOW you're date/gf won't be ready when she said she'd be anyways. Might as well have something to do while you wait. 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a buddy who screwed up an automatic by wearing it while shooting all the time. I forget what that one was. Last Christmas, I bought my brother a Seiko 5 automatic as his first "nice" entry into horology, and he loves it. Turned him into a major watch geek now. His managed to get magnetized BAD. He works in a hospital around MRIs and whatever, so maybe that did it. Eventually with a cheap demagnetizer he got it back to normal.

I don't wear automatics, despite wanting one. My EDC watch has been a Casio Protrek for quite some time. I originally got it because I was flying a lot more and I could have the digital screen set to UTC all the time, which was very useful. Now, I just like it in general. I have a few Citizen Eco Drives, like the Skyhawk AT, as well. I really, really would love a nice Breitling automatic, but that's a bit out of my disposable income range for now. :)

That Edox watch looks nice, I hadn't ever heard of them. I see they have some actual history. Do they make their own movements or use someone elses?

I had a buddy who screwed up an automatic by wearing it while shooting all the time. I forget what that one was. Last Christmas, I bought my brother a Seiko 5 automatic as his first "nice" entry into horology, and he loves it. Turned him into a major watch geek now. His managed to get magnetized BAD. He works in a hospital around MRIs and whatever, so maybe that did it. Eventually with a cheap demagnetizer he got it back to normal.

I don't wear automatics, despite wanting one. My EDC watch has been a Casio Protrek for quite some time. I originally got it because I was flying a lot more and I could have the digital screen set to UTC all the time, which was very useful. Now, I just like it in general. I have a few Citizen Eco Drives, like the Skyhawk AT, as well. I really, really would love a nice Breitling automatic, but that's a bit out of my disposable income range for now. :)

That Edox watch looks nice, I hadn't ever heard of them. I see they have some actual history. Do they make their own movements or use someone elses?

Yeah a Breitling would be nice! Edox as far as I know uses Selitta movements. However, I have seen some references to the 7750 movement for the Chronorally with the stopwatch which is based on an ETA movement. So really not sure! In any case, the movements are "Edox'ized".

Reactions: dfwnoob
Watch winders are very good as watches like Rolex and others of its like don't like to be completely unwound its not good for them. You want the type that wind the right amount and then stop and allow the watch to slowly unwind. You don't want it spinning constantly and you should know the revolutions per day that the watch recommends. I have a Wolf winder and it has a setting for 600 per day. That's right in line for what my watch needs. So I can go months without wearing my nice watch and when I do wear it, it's all ready to go. If you are getting a real nice watch, a winder is a good investment.

Reactions: Orion7319
I have a few eco drives and some other solar watches. Now I just wear my Apple Watch. Cardiologist wanted me to have a portable EKG and it has it built in. Also has the heart rate monitor, which I needed while they were getting my heart to slow down with medication. EKG works really well. My wife used to get this thing where her heart would also race, but only once in a blue moon. Cardiologist made her wear this thing for a few weeks but they couldn’t detect anything as she didn’t have an episode during the time frame. Later she got an Apple Watch and had one of her episodes, recorded the EKG from her watch while it was happening one day. She emailed her cardiologist the Apple Watch EKG and he was able to diagnose her with SVT. She had heart surgery, based on the diagnosis from the EKG from the watch! She hasn’t had an episode since. I haven’t worn any of my other watches in quite a while. Rumor is that the next gen will have a blood pressure monitor….

I have a few eco drives and some other solar watches. Now I just wear my Apple Watch. Cardiologist wanted me to have a portable EKG and it has it built in. Also has the heart rate monitor, which I needed while they were getting my heart to slow down with medication. EKG works really well. My wife used to get this thing where her heart would also race, but only once in a blue moon. Cardiologist made her wear this thing for a few weeks but they couldn’t detect anything as she didn’t have an episode during the time frame. Later she got an Apple Watch and had one of her episodes, recorded the EKG from her watch while it was happening one day. She emailed her cardiologist the Apple Watch EKG and he was able to diagnose her with SVT. She had heart surgery, based on the diagnosis from the EKG from the watch! She hasn’t had an episode since. I haven’t worn any of my other watches in quite a while. Rumor is that the next gen will have a blood pressure monitor….
That's what I wear every day, an Apple Watch. Haven't worn my old fashioned watch since I retired as no need to wear suits or go to client meetings anymore!!!

My Citizen Eco-Drive was wonderful, and likely still working in the drawer. If I put it in sunlight, it should run for at least 20 years.
Like others on this forum, I have replaced it with an Apple Watch, which does MUCH more than just tell time. Hard to go back!

That's what I wear every day, an Apple Watch. Haven't worn my old fashioned watch since I retired as no need to wear suits or go to client meetings anymore!!!
Sounds like your enjoying your retirement :) I got a ways to go yet……

Reactions: Wolfepack88
I was actually a fairly early adopter to the "modern" smartwatch. I had a Moto 360 right after it came out back in 2014 since I was an Android user back then. I thought it was neat, and it was somewhat useful, but then I just stopped being interested. I work with technology literally all day long, so I just don't want anything hyper computerized on my wrist. My fiance LOVES her Apple Watch. All the notifications and stuff would drive me mental. I get why people like them, though.

The Garmin D2 Delta PX has been interesting to me, but that's a lot of coin for something that'll be obsolete in a few years.

My Citizen Eco-Drive was wonderful, and likely still working in the drawer. If I put it in sunlight, it should run for at least 20 years.
Your comment inspired me to dig mine out of the drawer so it could charge. Also found a seiko solar I forgot I had…. If I were into collecting watches and money was no object, I’d be all over a vintage omega speedmaster for the obvious reasons.

Reactions: dfwnoob
I'd love a Speedmaster. I'm even considering buying that stupid Swatch collab Speedmaster once they get into normal stock. Actually, scratch that. I'm guaranteed going to buy one of those.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.