White Splotches in Deep End

AndrewJonesDDS

Feb 7, 2019
Louisiana
Dear trouble free pool community,

I have a pool that was plastered about 3 weeks ago, and I'm starting to develop horrible white splotches all over the deep end.

My water chemistry is:
Alkalinity: 80ppm
Calcium: 380 ppm
pH: 7.0 - 7.2

Use trichlor tabs placed in skimmer basket temporarily. No tabs were ever placed into the pool. Everything is brand new. Dolphin cleaner that has ran about 4 times. pH could've been temporarily high past couple weeks. Tested water with T-2006 kit last night.
Filled pool with unfiltered well water. Pool company didn't advise anything different.

Is this calcium build-up and what should I do about it?

Attachments

• pool plaster1.jpeg
    pool plaster1.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 18
  • pool plaster2.jpeg
    pool plaster2.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Your pH is too low for the first 30 days of new plaster. You want pH in the high 7s so that your CSI in between 0 & +0.5 for your first 30 days. Then get CSI between 0 & -0.3. Use PoolMath to calculate CSI.

Your trichlor tablets contain acid that is lowering your pH. I suggest you use liquid chlorine and MA to have more direct control over your FC and pH levels.

You should not be running wheeled cleaners on new plaster for the first 30 days.

Post a complete list of your water chemistry. FC?

The pool company delivered the Dolphin, showed me how to use it and never mentioned anything about waiting. I'll keep it out for now.

I've had some of these stains since the 2nd or 3rd day that the plaster was done. At first, they were really visible in the spa area. Recently, they're all over the deep end and seem to get worse as the days go on. I didn't know if this was a natural process of the plaster curing.

I'll get FC when i get a chance. I was using a new Taylor 2006 kit and it had some reagents that i wasnt used to. The old kit that i had contained a really easy way to get the chlorine levels, this new one is a little more complicated.

You might want to review this Plaster Mottling.

There are lots of threads very similar to yours. Nothing to do with water chemistry.

@onBalance is a forum member that is an expert in plaster application and issues.

At this point all you can do is maintain your water chemistry and see how the plaster color develops. It does change over time. But more likely for dark spots to lighten.

Many darker colored pools have motteling. Some folks think it adds character and some folks are bothered by it. Search for postings from @onBalance to read about plastering techniques that cause problems.

Last edited:
Should I pay the pool company their last installment, which covers the plastering? Or should I wait and see what happens?

I'm pretty easy going, but this doesn't look good and its driving my wife insane, which is driving me insane.

Be aware they may recommend an 'Acid Wash'. This may be by draining the pool or just adding large amounts of acid to the pool water. Either way, an Acid Wash will dramatically reduce the future life of the plaster and rarely significantly improves the look in the long run.

Read the thread I linked to and do a Search for some others. I believe you will need to learn to live with it.

Should I pay the pool company their last installment, which covers the plastering? Or should I wait and see what happens?

I'm pretty easy going, but this doesn't look good and its driving my wife insane, which is driving me insane.

Have you notified the pool company and discussed it with them?

Depends how you want to handle the relationship with them. It will take months to come to a resolution. Either:

- You will decide it is good enough after a few months
- The pool company will offer to do an acid wash which removes a thin layer of plaster and tends to blend the coloring together. This does affect the lifespan of the plaster a bit.
- You dig in your heels and insist the plaster be redone. Which will involve chipping out the old plaster and applying new. There is no guarantee the next plaster job will be better.

What really irks me is that i pay these guys $60,000 and they barely came around when the last steps of the pool were done. I feel like they should've been watching over the curing process and checking the water chemistry daily, which they probably weren't.

I guess I'll give it a little more time and see how it develops. I definitely don't want to chip all the plaster out.

Some threads mention using wet sand paper and others say it's useless. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They know that nothing they could have done to watch over the curing process would have made any difference. It was all baked in by the plaster subcontractor when they mixed and applied the plaster. Pool plastering is as much an art as a science. And there are many variables that affect the outcome.

Forget the wet sandpaper ideas. The next step would be an acid wash to blend the colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.