white particle on bottom of pool

Jul 1, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Yes, you can break it apart. This is one of the bigger pieces. I would say it is alittle smaller than the size of an eraser on a standard #2 pencil. I put it in a measuring cup and then added some MA to the cup. It sizzled like a piece of bacon and dissolved completely after about 20 seconds.

Calcium.

You state all test results in normal range. Can you post a full set of recent test results? Most likely the calcium is coming from your SWCG (Fusion thing).

You need to manage the CSI to prevent it.

You might also check to be sure you are not using the mineral side of your Fusion device. It adds copper.

Take care

That points to scaling :( like in the link I shared above. Can you share you latest test number making sure to include your pool temp please? Or you can run them through Pool Math and see what your CSI is showing.

Thank you for the replies. Two notes: 1) I removed the mineral cartridge from the Fusion Soft last week based on my research on TFP. Last year (and first year) ran SWG with mineral cartridge the entire season. This year the SWG ran for about 4 weeks at start of season without mineral cartridge, then had mineral cartridge in for about 7 weeks and now out (for good) about 1 week ago; and 2) I never knew about CSI until a few weeks ago but have been paying closer attention to it the last few weeks (and will start to record it) when I run my numbers. It has not been outside the parameters on the calculator (-.6 to .6) the past few weeks though.

Numbers from today (7/23):

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 375
CYA 70
CSI 0 (from pool calculator)
Salt 3110
Water temp 87

I seem to recall having to add MA often last year (Year 2) but the pH never really spiked - just would drift up to 7.8 or an occasional 8.2 and I would knock it back down. I was told that was not uncommon with a new pool. This year pH seems to be more consistent - most times it is between 7.5 and 7.8 - adding small amounts of MA here and there to try and keep it at 7.5

The battle this year has been chlorine. I seem to be adding it more frequently than in the past but I may just be getting better with my testing (no TF-100 until this year). I have been adding bleach from target on a fairly regular basis to keep my FC in the proper range.

So based on the numbers above and the pool calculator, I will probably add 84 oz of bleach to get the FC up to 4.5 and 26 oz of MA to knock the pH down to 7.5
This will bring my CSI target to -0.28

Sounds good. Tough to have a SWCG and have to add bleach. That Fusion thing must be really undersized. An upgrade would be to get rid of it and get a properly sized SWCG what can handle your pool. Would need to be one rated for 60k gallons with your size pool.

I find I need to keep my CSI lower than 0 to keep scale from forming on my SWCG. But I have high CH and TA fill water. But if you are getting Calcium like you showed, it is from the SWCG. So working to keep you CSI negative at all times will eliminate it.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In a pool with a SWCG the cell is the 'canary in a coal mine' for scale. It is an environment that is highly alkaline in its environment since it is creating chlorine gas. Thus the CSI in the cell is much worse than the pool overall.

Most cells do a polarity reversal every so often and that helps 'clean' them and that is when the calcium flakes off and ends up in your pool.

So it just means you need to be a bit more diligent on your CSI. That can be controlled by TA, pH, and CH with temperature having an effect.

Be sure to put your test results in to PoolMath to see what your CSI each time.

Worst case scenario you have to clean the cell with dilute muriatic acid. You want to avoid that because each time you do it your cell life is shortened. If you look in your manual, they probably say to clean the cell every xx months. Bad idea.

Take care.

Mknauss hit the nail on the head. The cell had built up a considerable amount of calcium on it that I noticed when I opened the pool this year and inspected the cell. The flakes were what I was seeing in the pool at times. Cleaned the cell with diluted muriactic acid and everything appears to be working properly. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.