Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
This is a new one for me. My pool is clear, can see the texture of the harbor freight fatigue mats under the liner, but the water was dull. I'm having a few girlfriends over tomorrow to float, so I got in to give the pool a good scrub down. I moved the stairs and see the green culprit. Stairs are wedding cake that I've added PVC to the bottom for height and flow, and are weighed down by 12 1-gallon jugs of cement. Cover has been on for over a month, so levels obviously must have dropped sometime in the last 30 days. I'm thinking it was sometime last week when I was out of town and the temp outside was 110+

I proceed to dive under, pull out the jugs, place them on top of the stairs to keep them held down, brush them, repeat. They were definitely a bit slimy. Then go back down and scrub in the hole for as long as I can before I run out of air, repeat.

After a while there is a bunch of stuff floating through the water that kinda looks like the labels had peel off the jugs but there was a lot more in the water than what a label or 2 would have left. I skim some out and after google research on my phone while still in the pool, realize what it was.

My question is, what is the way to treat this? I double brushed down all the pool walls and floors. Brushed the inside of the steps as well as one can for a minute at a time while holding their breath, pulling the stairs out of the pool is not an option. Took all of the jugs out of the water, sprayed them down with bleach and brushed again. Spent about 30 minutes skimming the pool and vacuuming as much out as I could. Anyone have any experience with this? I have a good DE filter set up, do you think the floating mold should be filtered out in the next 20 hours before the float party starts? I do have a sparkling pool reputation to maintain. I brought the pool up to SLAM levels when I thought it was just plain algae.

5 or 6 hour update. It's too windy to take a picture but the chunks actually floating in the water have dramatically reduced and stuff is settling to the ground. Even in the dark the water looks better than this afternoon. The skimmer sock which was fresh at 5pm has that yellow brown dusting so it's grabbing something and the robot basket had lots of what makes me think of the big pieces of skin you can peel off after a sunburn.... I wanted to do an overnight test, but I can't remember if I counted 23 or 25 drops. I'll try to do better tomorrow night. 20210625_174630.jpg

You are doing all of the right things! Push the FC up and keep it just under SLAM level so float party can happen.

Not really sure what it was/is. Will be interesting to see what happens next. Keep us in the loop!

Reactions: kne
So the cover had not been removed in a month, and no testing of FC during that time?
Yes, on the cover, not removed for probably 4-6 weeks and limited on the testing of the FC. I had surgery that took me out for 2 weeks that was bookended by being away from home a week each time. I had my SWG set for about 70 degree weather and it jumped up to 110+ the 2nd week I was gone. I asked SO to just peek at the pool to see if it looked ok while I was away, but didn't happen. I know I tested the day before I left for vacation the 2nd time and I was at 5, and I'm sure I am pretty sure I checked during the 2 weeks prior, but I couldn't tell you for sure, time was a little hazy. I know what to do with plain algae, but the mold was just a whole new experience.

Good news is by Saturday morning it looked great :)

1624904700342.png

1624905109401.png

Leaving a cover on that long is not good, especially in the summer. Glad things turned around quickly.

Reactions: kne
Leaving a cover on that long is not good, especially in the summer. Glad things turned around quickly.
Knock on wood that I will never have to go that long without floating in the summer, but that is really good to know. I was just thinking that keeping it on was keeping the debris out. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.