Baton Rouge, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just started seeing a white line around tile edge. Used a 50/50 h20/muriatic acid mix without much effect. White line did not bubble at all. Chemistry from this morning below.

84*F water
FC - 9
CC - 0
CYA - 60
pH - 7.6
Alk - 80
CH - 320
Salt - 3400

I’m using SWG but supplementing with a few trichlor tabs in floating dispenser to increase CYA (have a lot left after transitioning to SWG)

Any ideas are appreciated

Is this common for a pool that’s isn’t even one year old yet? I’ve maintained slightly negative CSI since startup. My pH has been slightly high given my water features but plan on tackling that soon with an actuator and programmable feature to only run for a few hours a day. We have had a very dry summer with little rain. Using auto fill but supply water has CH of only around 20. CH has never been higher than 350.

Waterline scale is the result of water drying, leaving calcium behind, then rewetting and drying. This cycle leads to calcium build up. The scaling is not occurring underwater, so it doesn't matter how perfect your water is. Lower CH levels help, but we need calcium in our pool water to protect out plaster.

One way to mitigate waterline scale is with routine maintenance. Using a product like SR3 Scale Remover along with a nylon brush, a bit of elbow grease, Motrin, and beer should keep the scale from building up. I'm too lazy to find out how well it works though. Maybe I'll try to stay on top of it after my next tile blasting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.