Central California.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I noticed a white Flaky substance that gathers on my step in a pile.It’s very soft you can’t pick it up with your hands it separates and floats away.Any idea what it might be?

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7053.jpeg
    IMG_7053.jpeg
    706.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7054.jpeg
    IMG_7054.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7055.jpeg
    IMG_7055.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 22
Saltwater system.
Calcium scale being shed from your SWCG.
Lower your TA to 80 ppm or so. They should disappear.

You must use muriatic acid to lower TA.
Your pH right now you show as 7.6. Lower it to 7.2. Test in a few days and lower it again to 7.2. Keep doing that and the TA will come down.

Or add borates. Costs more.

You must use muriatic acid to lower TA.
Your pH right now you show as 7.6. Lower it to 7.2. Test in a few days and lower it again to 7.2. Keep doing that and the TA will come down.

Or add borates. Costs more.
Yeah my PH has been running high since day one.I appreciate the feed back,

Thank you!

Reactions: mknauss
@mknauss.
I have added 6 cups of acid so far. Here is a sample from this morning. Looks like 7.4-7.3 also I have a sample of the TA the 8th dropped turned into a light red I am not sure if you need it to turn to a darker red with the 9th drop.

Attachments

• IMG_7091.jpeg
    IMG_7091.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 6
Your PoolMath logs show you added soda ash two days ago. Why? That dramatically raises TA.
And the amount of acid you have added (6 cups) would lower your TA by 11 ppm.

Also dry acid has been added. That will lower TA. But is not good for your SWCG. Please do not use that product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best if you can edit the app data. We do use that when providing guidance.

Once the flakes stop coming off the SWCG, go back to normal maintenance of pH.

Add R-0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent drops, swirling and counting after each drop, until color changes from yellow to a milky salmon (brick red).

Reactions: Supersix
I have seen a few flakes floating in the pool since last week nothing to be concerned with. Today there was a little pile by the steps again. I've been maintaining a 7.3-7.4 PH I never did get the PH to 7.2 like you recommended it stopped gathering by the steps so I didn't feel it was necessary to drop it to that #. The chemistry in the pool is dialed in. Anything to be concerned about? My salt is at 3400 I don't know if that plays a factor.

Last edited:
TA is still in the upper range according to Poolmath. Please do not use Dry Acid. When pH gets to 7.6 or above, lower it to 7.2.
That should lower the TA. Once around 60-70 ppm, the flakes should stop.

The snowflakes returned, forming another pile on the steps. My TA has been at 70-80 since July. I have been maintaining a pH level of 7.8-8.0 for a few weeks. Do I need to maintain a PH level around 7.4-7.5 to keep the flakes away?

As the CH increases you need to lower the TA and/or pH. Look at the CSI being reported in Poolmath. Keep that -0.3 to 0. With double digit TA, and calcium scale from the SWCG should cease or diminish.

Reactions: Supersix

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.