White flakes floating on water surface .

Paul NJ908

Bronze Supporter
Mar 2, 2020
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Opened my pool and after shocking it, I noticed white flakes floating around the water’s surface. Initially I tried to skim it with the net but particles are too small. Visited the pool store, and although pool levels were spot on, I was advised that it may be white water mold. Backwashed and scrubbed, Quadruple shocked the pool to almost 22ppm, backwashed, cleaned the SWG with muriatic acid, then vacuumed and ran pump for about 30 hours. It appears that it didn’t work. Please see photos and video link.

This threw off my numbers and I managed to bring down the PH and fix the alkalinity, just waiting on the FC to dissipate but these white flakes remain.

Surface video

Attachments

• 09F2D3AF-C284-4D12-9434-FE761213652A.jpeg
    09F2D3AF-C284-4D12-9434-FE761213652A.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 45
  • FBFBDBDC-65E0-4B48-82D1-C4A9B82D1C7B.jpeg
    FBFBDBDC-65E0-4B48-82D1-C4A9B82D1C7B.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Can you collect any of the debris with a net? What's it feel like. If you can collect enough, apply a few drops of acid. It will fizzle if it's calcium. The photos are too small to see anything at my end.

Did you turn off the SWG before you "shocked" the pool and did you lower the pH to 7.2 before adding the chlorine?

Adding that much chlorine will temporarily raise pH (will get down again once the chlorine is used up), and if the SWG keeps running, there is a good chance to get excessive scaling in the cell. The auto-reversal will then shed off the flakes, even in a freshly cleaned cell, and you might not notice much additional growth on the plates.

I did it myself before following TFP...

Did you turn off the SWG before you "shocked" the pool and did you lower the pH to 7.2 before adding the chlorine?

Adding that much chlorine will temporarily raise pH (will get down again once the chlorine is used up), and if the SWG keeps running, there is a good chance to get excessive scaling in the cell. The auto-reversal will then shed off the flakes, even in a freshly cleaned cell, and you might not notice much additional growth on the plates.

I did it myself before following TFP...
You may have a good point. When I shocked (liquid chlorine), the ph was at 7.8 and I realized the swg was still at 20%.

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.