Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
When my gas heater is running, there is a high pitched whistling sound coming from the gas meter regulator. Other than being an annoyance, is there a safety issue? Is the solution just to call up the gas company and tell them of the problem and let them fix it?

Most likely, the flow rating on the regulator or meter are being exceeded.

This will cause excessive pressure drop.

Most likely the orifice is too small.

Thanks. Interesting the gas company didn't catch this last year when they ran a new gas line for a natural gas grill.

Can you show all writing on the regulator and gas meter?
IMG_3220.jpg

This is the best photo I can get of the regulator. It's the only writing on it. It's hard to read in person too.

IMG_3221.jpg

And to possibly answer the next question, I have a gas tankless water heater, gas stove, two gas furnances and the gas grill.

What is the total load?

I would not know. Likely the only thing to be running at the same time is the water heater. The meter whistles when just the pool heater and none of the other gas appliances are running.

I'll be calling the gas company. I just wanted to know if this an urgent matter or more of an inconvenience that can be fixed as time permits. Pool heater is working fine. It heated the pool from 67F to 85F the other day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When my gas heater is running, there is a high pitched whistling sound coming from the gas meter regulator. Other than being an annoyance, is there a safety issue? Is the solution just to call up the gas company and tell them of the problem and let them fix it?
Your meter is large enough for the heater and not much else running at the same time. What is the size of the line running to the heater? The last 10' can be 3/4," but the rest should probably be at least 1.25." Meters will "whistle" a little when running near capacity. Even my 630 does a bit when my pool heater is on.