Which upgrades to start with?

One thing to consider about decking is- will you have to mow next to the deck and will that possibly introduce grass clippings to the pool? Not good. We were advised by a friend to get the most decking we could and how he regretted doing only the PB's included standard 3' decking around his pool because of those troublesome grass clippings. We enlarged areas for large seating areas etc. (pics in siggy line).
Our spa is separate from our pool (closer to the house for those winter soaks) and I've seen a lot of pics here of fancy spas on the far side of pools that don't look very inviting to me when I want to slip out there in snowy weather and soak quickly. Another consideration is will you want to cover the pool for safety or leaves/winter protection yet I think attached spas might complicate this a bit. Just a consideration.

Would anyone do away with the spa to have all the other upgrades? (Pool finish, water features and upgraded deck?)

I would, but that is not the norm now. I am with Robbie H on this one. No use for it. Pool for us will be warm weather and I don't want hot water when it's warm out. There is no right or wrong on this, it is purely personal. If you really think you will use it, then my all means get it put in.

We are currently under construction and still making some choices as we go. So far, this is what we're thinking ...

IN:
Large raised spa with extra jets - for wife and i ... this pool is all about relaxation. Also really like that added dimension the elevated spa gives pool
Plenty of raised bond beam - great look, perfect for raised garden beds, some have said it will help keep some leaves trapped outside of pool. We have oaks everywhere.
6 inch raised BB for bar with 3 stools - have been told that stools cause probs for polaris, but we love idea of place to hang out next to patio while in pool.
Tanning ledge with LED bubblers
LED pool lights - gotta love all those colors especially for parties

OUT:
Waterfall - originally planned to go with the fake rock WF's that run around 2k. We will put plumbing in place, but no budget for that now.
Extra Decking - our yard doesnt really allow for it as pool is surrounded by gardens. Many have told us that more decking is better especially if you have plenty of kids playing in it (easy access)

ON THE BUBBLE:
Travertine decking - awesome but expensive
Glass Tile - Really really want to get this. Great upscale look. We just saw a condo pool at florabama and it had glass everywhere and infinity edge. Incredible pool.
BBQ Area

Thanks for the great thread. Lots of good info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.