Which to Replace: Flow Switch or Temp Sensor?

CC57

Jul 5, 2010
Cypress, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Had our 1st really "cold" front hit over the new year's holiday.

Went to check the water temp this AM (1/3/22) and the board was not reporting the temp.

But we did have two errors:
(1) "Check System Wtr Sensor Open"
(2) "Pool Temp error"

So would that indicate I replace the

GLX-FLO-RP 15-Feet Cable Flow Switch Assembly Replacement Kit for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators
Or the
Hayward GLX-PC-12-KIT 10K Thermistor Temperature Sensor with 15-Feet Cable Replacement Kit for Hayward Salt Chlorine Generators?

Thanks all

CC,

You need the 10K thermistor temp sensor, which has nothing to do the flow switch which is for your SWG.

You should have a water temp sensor in your plumbing, most likely between your pump and your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Both those message are for the Thermistor Temperature Sensor.

Check that the wires are connected to the board and did not come loose. If you have a multimeter you can disconnect the sensor from the board and check the sensor resistance based on this chart:

10K_thermistor_chart.png

So I just looked at our remote display, and the pool temp is reporting.

Note, the air temp is about 40 degrees greater than it was in the AM when I note the issue.

I'm not sure when the temp started reporting again.

But the fact it wasn't reporting when it was colder than normal around here (SE TX) and now that is as warmed up, is it reporting, is that an indication of what might have caused the issue?

CC,

Just to be clear, you should have two sensors.. Your Water temp sensor is in the plumbing.. Your air temp sensor looks the same, but it will just be hanging loose in and around your automation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, sorry.
Yes, it was the pool (water) temp that was not reporting. Have not had a problem with the air temps being reported.
But the water temp is reporting fine now (just looked again, 9 AM. Pool temp 52 degrees).

Due to the fact the pool temp wasn't reporting when it was colder than normal around here (SE TX), but now that is has warmed up and is now reporting fine, I was trying to see if that might help point out what caused the issue.
I was taking an attempt of diagnosing the problem rather than just replacing the sensor embedded into the plumbing.

Guess the next time it happens I could just swap sensors, see if the problem follows the sensor. But I was just trying to avoaid the extra efforts.

Thanks for the discussion on this.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
So we're having our 2nd cold snap of the season (remember, we're just outside of Houston, TX).

Now, instead of reporting a "Temp Sensor" issue, I'm seeing a "Check System. Water Sensor Open" alarm.

Kind of odd these alarms are only coming in when the temps drop in our area.

Thoughts?

Wait for it to warm up, see if the alarm goes away - again like last time?

And if it does, any idea what that might indicate?

And if the alarm does not go away, I assume just replace the water flow sensor, correct?

Or Any other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water sensor is the temperature sensor, not a flow sensor.

Replace the water temperature sensor.

If you have checked all the connections and wiring and they are good, you need to replace the water-temp sensor in your picture. Be aware that rodents love to feast on the wires that go to these sensors. They can also split/crack internally (inside the pipe) which can cause your intermittent operation. It doesn't have to be Hayward brand. I usually can find a generic one that works quite well and saves my customers' some money. A newer Jandy or Pentair one will work as well. It also doesn't matter which wire goes into which numbered location inside the control panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.