Which testing kit to use?

The TF-100 has 2 chlorine tests included - one is with the color matching OTO test block and it isn't very accurate, it really just shows if you have chlorine or not! The second is the FAS-DPD powder test which is much better and very accurate.

For just a hot tub you should be able to get away with one of the smaller test kits Taylor offers -- Here is an older post from one of the top experts on this board discussing use of the smaller Taylor test kits for a Hot Tub (Taylor K-2015 Test Kit):

Best test kit for small (215 gal.) spa?

I also like the high value Taylor 9056 test block that kit comes with because I can easily test up to 10ppm Chlorine with the DPD drops, which works out great for a hot tub. If you don't like color matching in a test block then then FAS-DPD Powder test will be better for you.

The TF-100 has the FAS-DPD powder tests and is a great value, even if it gives you a few tests you might not need, it is still nice to have, and if you have a pool it is really needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sjde
Thanks, santacruzpool

I have the TF 100 but have only been using the Taylor blue box kit with color match because it has a bromine reading. I wonder if I can use the other powder test?

"Most Taylor Technologies reagents have a shelf life of 2 years at the date of manufacture. Taylor recommends, as a general precaution, replacing all reagents more than one year old, or at the beginning of a new testing season."

I tend to use up the DPD powder, R-0871, the PH and the OTO drops each season and so I have to replace those each year. After 2 seasons I will buy a full TF-100 refill set from TF-100 Refills (hint: they usually go on sale at some point in the fall and spring!).

For my pool at least, I don't ever use up the CH tests or the TA tests in 2 years of use. It seems like the CYA test amount is just about perfect for 2 seasons for me - I test CYA once a month or so during the swim season so I squeak out a little more than 1 year from those less frequent tests.

If you ever need to SLAM the pool, or have other problems, then the tests can get used up a lot quicker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.