Indoor Pool + Colorblind

BDubs63

Mar 30, 2024
Albuquerque
Newbie with a new-to-me indoor pool and am trying to get a handle on all of this. I can't accurately read test strips because of colorblindness and I had read that a test with a dramatic change like the TF-Pro would be better, but the collection tray still has vague color gradients. Was I wrong in thinking the TF-PRO would work? Is there a better solution for color blind testing?

Also everything I'm seeing in the guides is for outdoor pools. Are there better resources for indoor pools?

Need someone to explain it like I'm five

I can't accurately read test strips because of colorblindness and I had read that a test with a dramatic change like the TF-Pro would be better, but the collection tray still has vague color gradients. Was I wrong in thinking the TF-PRO would work? Is there a better solution for color blind testing?

No one can accurately read test strips, they just don't work, so you are not missing out on much there.

Do you already have a TF-Pro, and it is not working for you, or are you just sceptical?

Drop-tests with sharp colour changes often work with colour blindness, but I guess it depends on the type of colour blindness.

There are some videos of the tests, that should help you to work out if you can see the test endpoints:

For pH, you can buy a good quality pH-meter, don't get a cheapy. I am very happy with my Apera PH60. The Apera PH20 is a bit cheaper and should be enough for pool purposes. It is important to calibrate those meters regularly and store them in the recommended storage solution, so this is a bit more costly than a drop test and certainly requires more effort.

Also everything I'm seeing in the guides is for outdoor pools. Are there better resources for indoor pools?

The biggest difference with an indoor pool is that it doesn't get direct sun light, so you don't lose chlorine to sun exposure.

Even though you don't need stabiliser (CYA or Cyanuric Acid) to protect your chlorine from sun light, we still recommend a low level of 20-30ppm for indoor pools.

The way CYA protects chlorine from UV is that a large portion (like 95%) of the free chlorine (FC) attaches to it, where it is protected from UV light, but also hasn't any oxidiser or sanitiser effect anymore, but unfortunately stills shows up as FC in the test. That's why it is important to adjust the FC-level following TFP's recommended FC/CYA Levels.

The advantage of this is that the chlorine that is attached to CYA doesn't bother anyone, it doesn't feel harsh or aggressive to swimming gear or pool equipment. It is a nice reservoir of chlorine, as the actually "active" part of FC (the 5% that aren't attached to CYA) gets lost doing its job killing nasties and oxidising bather waste.

This makes a residential pool much easier to manage. From above linked FC/CYA chart you'll see that for
CYA 30, we recommend an FC target range of 4-6ppm, and never fall below 2ppm. Up to SLAM level (used to clear an algae infestation), which is FC 12 for CYA 30, is safe to swim.

Without CYA, above target range would be equivalent to around FC 0.15 to 0.2ppm, never fall below about 0.1ppm. SLAM is equivalent to 0.64ppm. These ranges are difficult to maintain in a residential setting. Just one kid mistaking your pool with bath room can be enough to wipe out all of the FC. But maintaining higher levels makes the water feel very unpleasant.

That's where a bit of CYA in an indoor pool makes a huge difference. You can maintain say 5ppm of FC, but the "active" portion is only about 0.15ppm. If you lose those those 0.15ppm, it gets replenished from the "reservoir", and you have effectively only lost 0.15 out of 5 ppm (a 3% loss) rather than 0.15 out of 0.15 (a 100% loss).

Having no natural UV exposer from the sun also means that you don't get UV support to break down combined chlorine (CC), which are leftovers from FC oxidising bather waste, which are very unpleasant - they are what create the typical "chlorine" smell. Having sufficiently high FC levels breaks down the CCs so the eventually outgas as nitrogen gas. Having some UV helps to accelerate CC breakdown.

We never recommend secondary UV-systems for outdoor pools, because they get UV for free, but in an indoor they can make sense depending on the bather load.

Last edited:
Reactions: JodieM