Which SWG for my pool?

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
With chlorine at near $6 a gallon we're seriously/finally thinking of adding a SWG.

My pool is 18.5 x 41 with an average depth of 5.5ft. so I have approximately 31,200 gallons of water. As recommended, double the volume is 62,400.
We have an Intermatic timer with freeze sensor.
I will need someone to install for me. We are retired so cost matters but we believe in paying for quality.

I looked at the Circupool swg's online since those seem to be the most recommended on TFP.
The Circupool RJ 60 N will handle a max of 60,000 gallons. $1399
The Circupool Core55 will handle a max of 55,000 gallons. $1489
Not finding someone to install as yet.

One local pool store will do complete install of Hayward Aquarite with salt for $3600.
I asked if they didn't need size and gallons of pool and the woman said no. Maybe they charge the same for all sizes?

Our HOA pool guy quoted Hayward 40,000 gal at $2767.88. That's without install or salt. He will give installation cost when he sees our equipment.
A Doheny's flyer has a Hayward aquarite 40,000 gal for $1899

Another pool store recommenced a man who does install. He gets equipment from that pool store- Pentair and Hayward brands. He says a Hayward 40,000 gal will work fine for my pool.
I'm waiting on price after sending him photos of my equipment pad. I don't know if he would consider installing a Circupool.

There's an active thread with a TFP member who's having issues with a Circupool SJ55A right now.
I'm sure any brand can have issues but which has the least issues?
Best warranty?
What size for my pool?
We're open year round. When temps drop and SWG cant run, do I just shut off the SWG and use chlorine?
Does the SWG have it's own timer?

I'm totally confused.
TFP converted me years ago and I'm very comfortable keeping our pool balanced. The SWG thing is a bit daunting for me.

As always I'm trusting you to help.
Thank you,
Joan

The RJ60 is the right choice. Installation is relatively easy if you've ever done PVC sprinkler repair and if you can wire a switch. Perhaps you have a friend, family member, or handyman that can handle the work. RJ60 is priced well right now and less than it has been in recent history. Discount Salt Pool/CircuPool have provided excellent support and good warranty coverage.

Best warranty?
What size for my pool?
We're open year round. When temps drop and SWG cant run, do I just shut off the SWG and use chlorine?
Does the SWG have it's own timer?
CircuPool RJ carries a 7 yr prorated warranty.

In your climate and based on the size of your pool, you need a system rated at 60K gallons, the largest consumer SWG available.

The RJ series shut down at around 50-52 degrees, but at that temp FC demand is minimal.

If you still have single speed pump on a timer, you should be able to connect the SWG to that timer. The SWG should only receive power when the pump is on. Your next upgrade should be a VS pump for energy savings and efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you Rancho!
You covered my questions well! Yes, we plan to upgrade to a VS pump when this one goes out.
Certainly I can find someone to install the Circupool RJ 60, I'm not confident that I can do it.
I'm really glad we can connect to the Intermatic! Does the RJ 60 have and independent switch to turn it off during the winter?

Wow! That's a great price and good wear! I'll take a look at it.
Thank you!

Here's a recent thread on the Pureline unit...

In case I get a non pool person to do the install ( maybe my plumber? ) where would be a good place to attach the swg ?
The old Jandy filter was there when we moved here. Never used it.
IMG_1154.jpgIMG_1157.jpgIMG_1158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3
Here's a recent thread on the Pureline unit...
Thank you. I read this post yesterday. This and another about a Circupool with issues prompted my question regarding warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not enough room. The SWG needs 16" and the flow switch is 4" and needs 6-12" of straight pipe in front of it. The cell counts as straight pipe if installed before the flow switch.

How long is this section?

IMG_1154.jpg

A vertical installation may be your best bet if there's not enough room there. You would install this at the yellow circle in the first image I posted. You could recreate this installation kit with regular fittings. No need to purchase the entire kit.
1000006062.jpg

Reactions: JoanC
Not enough room. The SWG needs 16" and the flow switch is 4" and needs 6-12" of straight pipe in front of it. The cell counts as straight pipe if installed before the flow switch.

View attachment 576170
Previous measurements were between elbow edges. Above section is only 12in between elbow edges.
Is that how it should be measured or include tip of elbow?

Measure the straight pipe only. Basically measuring between fittings. I think you may need to go with a vertical installation style. The flow switch would mount on the upflow pipe and the cell on the downflow.

Measure the straight pipe only. Basically measuring between fittings. I think you may need to go with a vertical installation style. The flow switch would mount on the upflow pipe and the cell on the downflow.
Thank you for all of your help! I'll keep all of the measurements you gave me. Hopefully the guy will call back that does install for one of the pool stores and it will be a breeze for him.
Thanks again!

No worries. There are many capable folks here ready to help you out. Here's the link to the manual for the system. It includes all measurements required. For power, it is capable to run off of 115 or 230 volts.

This is all very helpful! Hopefully I’ll find someone to install SOON!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support