which salt reading is more important when there's a discrepancy?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've had this discrepancy since changing the cell about a year ago. It was in an unopened box that the previous owner left so it was several years old when installed. Not sure why it was lying around but decided to give it a try. No problems with it other than the different readings.
Taylor drop test says 1800. Salt cells says 2600. SWG currently set at 20%. The T-9 size matches what is listed on the panel.
I know that I have to add some salt since I'm at the lower end but am wondering how much to add given this difference in readings. Does the salt level affect performance of the cell/generating of chlorine?
TIA!

I am not getting a low salt message yet. Readings are 2600-2800 depending on the day. I want to add a bit to ensure it doesn't go under 2600 which will trigger the low salt indicator. Historically I aimed for 3000-3200 but that was with a cell with matching results.
Does having a low drop test reading impact chlorine production or cell life, or is the SWG happy with whatever the salt level is as long as it's within range?

As long as the SWCG is happy, it should be operating appropriately.

I asked if the SWCG system was a low salt version sold in Canada. I find it odd it will work if your salinity test is correct at 1800 ppm.

I've had this discrepancy since changing the cell about a year ago. It was in an unopened box that the previous owner left so it was several years old when installed. Not sure why it was lying around but decided to give it a try. No problems with it other than the different readings.
Taylor drop test says 1800. Salt cells says 2600. SWG currently set at 20%. The T-9 size matches what is listed on the panel.
I know that I have to add some salt since I'm at the lower end but am wondering how much to add given this difference in readings. Does the salt level affect performance of the cell/generating of chlorine?
TIA!
It is very unusual for a SWG to report higher salt levels than a Taylor test kit. So either you have a bad test kit or the cell you have is really a T-15 and not a T-9. Perhaps mislabeled.

If you change the cell type to T-15 what does the SWG report as the salt level? Should be closer to what the Taylor test kit is.

Reactions: mknauss
@abfab
Your signature indicates an Aquarite T15 SWCG. Did you replace it with a T9? As Mark states, things do not add up.

As long as the SWCG is happy, it should be operating appropriately.

I asked if the SWCG system was a low salt version sold in Canada. I find it odd it will work if your salinity test is correct at 1800 ppm.
I'm not aware of a low salt version. It is several years old but I did get a new main board last year. The discrepancy existed with the old board too. 1800 was when I opened which is pretty typical. I haven't added any salt because the SWCG was saying 2600. Last year I kept it closer to high end. Does the Taylor salt test expire? I am able to use Taylor reagents that are a few year old with no issues. Test kit is stored in the house.

All test kits expire at some point. You just never know when.

I don't normally suggest this but take a water sample to a pool store and see what they say.

Can you post a picture of the cell serial #?

Also, did you try the T-15 mode to see what the salt level reads?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.