Which route would you go with?

Shanx

Apr 8, 2021
NY
Should I stick with a DE filter, or time to upgrade?

My pool hasn’t been open in 6 years and currently doing an upgrade (liner, pump, filter)

Pool is a 40x20 rectangle size with a main in the deep end, and 2 skimmers.

I’ve been looking at the Pentair VS 1.5 HP

What kinda of filter should I go with? Is DE still the beat filter to use, or am I stuck with a DE filter?

I’m also installing lights so looking for some suggestions on automation control panels

Lastly, with the lights I assume I need a transformer but should I be getting anything else with this?

Also looking to get into a diving board and step ladder for deep end, if anyone wants to throw in the suggestions for those as well.

by the way, pool is pretty clear (green) for being closed for 6 years!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Shane and Welcome !!
Also looking to get into a diving board and step ladder for deep end, if anyone wants to throw in the suggestions for those as well.
I’m getting a diving board on my build soon (on Long Island) but my PB said he stopped installing them because everybody’s insurance skyrockets if they get one. Check with your insurance company first to see if they care.
I’ve been looking at the Pentair VS 1.5 HP
The (Pentair) 011028 and 011056 are both up to 3HP and will be able to run lower (and cheaper) to achieve the same flow. They are both the gold standard of pumps.
What kinda of filter should I go with? Is DE still the beat filter to use, or am I stuck with a DE filter
DE filters the best on paper but in the real world, nobody can possibly see the 10 micron (millionths of an inch) between DE and cartridges, or the 30 micron difference between DE and sand.

Cartridges need replacing about every 10 years and can be pricey, and DE needs adding throughout its lifespan a bit at a time. There is the shopping and transporting hassle to factor in also.

Whatever you decide, you will have 30k-ish gallons. You want the biggest filter they make. Take cartridges for example. Pentair makes a 500 and a 520. You’ll never see the difference, but get one of them.

others will be around to answer your lights questions. Hang tight.

Hey Shane and Welcome !!

I’m getting a diving board on my build soon (on Long Island) but my PB said he stopped installing them because everybody’s insurance skyrockets if they get one. Check with your insurance company first to see if they care.

The (Pentair) 011028 and 011056 are both up to 3HP and will be able to run lower (and cheaper) to achieve the same flow. They are both the gold standard of pumps.

DE filters the best on paper but in the real world, nobody can possibly see the 10 micron (millionths of an inch) between DE and cartridges, or the 30 micron difference between DE and sand.

Cartridges need replacing about every 10 years and can be pricey, and DE needs adding throughout its lifespan a bit at a time. There is the shopping and transporting hassle to factor in also.

Whatever you decide, you will have 30k-ish gallons. You want the biggest filter they make. Take cartridges for example. Pentair makes a 500 and a 520. You’ll never see the difference, but get one of them.

others will be around to answer your lights questions. Hang tight.
I’m on LI also! (Suffolk)

I honestly didn’t even think about the house insurance and diving board, thanks for letting me know!

I’ll check out those pumps you mentioned. When it comes to filters, are Pentair better than Hayward?

also, maybe I’m just having some trouble, but I haven’t been able to find anyone local who carries Pentair, and mostly Hayward.

I’m located out east in Brookhaven, if you know of any pool shops let me know!

I’m looking to upgrade my filter and pool pump.

my pool is 40x20, I had a DE45 filter and a speck pump E90III

not really sure what to get, but it I was looking at possibly getting a Pentair VS pump and possibly a Hayward de720 filter.

Any suggestions? Should I stay anyway fro
Hayward VS pumps?

my plan is to be able to also fully control everything via mobile as I’ll be putting in lights, heat pump and cover

thanks!!

I’ll check out those pumps you mentioned. When it comes to filters, are Pentair better than Hayward
Any large filter will work for you but you usually get a better warranty by getting everything from the same brand.

I replaced my old Pentair DE filter with a Pentair CCP520 (quad, not DE) cartridge filter last year and it was excellent. I can easily go the whole season without cleaning the filters (partly because of my autocover) and the pressure was very low (excellent flow). No DE to buy or mess with. No backwashing. No waste.
And crystal clear water.

Reactions: wolverine
I’m on LI also! (Suffolk)

I honestly didn’t even think about the house insurance and diving board, thanks for letting me know!

I’ll check out those pumps you mentioned. When it comes to filters, are Pentair better than Hayward?

also, maybe I’m just having some trouble, but I haven’t been able to find anyone local who carries Pentair, and mostly Hayward.

I’m located out east in Brookhaven, if you know of any pool shops let me know!
My insurance (State Farm) didn't care about the diving board. Their only concern was that it be properly fenced (4'-6" high enclosure).

Reactions: newdude
Checkout pentair automation like an EasyTouch or an IntelliTouch.

They have a product called "screen logic" which enables all the pool features to be managed by a phone app or an application on a computer. ( PC Or Mac). I rarely use the panel controls unless I'm servicing equipment.

If your electricity is expensive, a variable speed pump will help.

Also consider a salt pool with salt water chlorine generator. When I converted mine it made a huge improvement. The water is softer, not harsh and never has a chemical sting to it.

I can't comment on filters. I've only had, and still have old school DE grids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pictures of pool/ "setup"

Yes, all that seaweed/algae was from the pool

Redoing my pool after 6 years of being closed. New liner going in June, but want to get the equipment up and going, and looking for some feedback/suggestions

Pool
  • 40x20 rectangle pool

Pump
  • Pentair 011056 or 011026 (Any major difference?),

Filter
  • S8M500
  • CCP520
  • Quad D.E. 100

Lights
  • Spa Electrics - Agron Series with transformer

Controller
  • Still unsure on which route to go with this, so suggestions are welcomed! Would like to control my pump, lights, heat pump, and pool cover (Still looking for this also)

Pictures of pool/ "setup"

Yes, all that seaweed/algae was from the pool

Redoing my pool after 6 years of being closed. New liner going in June, but want to get the equipment up and going, and looking for some feedback/suggestions

Pool
  • 40x20 rectangle pool

Pump

Filter
  • S8M500
  • CCP520
  • Quad D.E. 100

Lights

Controller
  • Still unsure on which route to go with this, so suggestions are welcomed! Would like to control my pump, lights, heat pump, and pool cover (Still looking for this also)

Pump

I don't know of a 011026 pump. Do you mean 011028?

011028 is the basic VS pump. 011056 is a VSF pump that allows you to set the pump according to RPM or flow rate. 011056 is often more available and less expensive than 011028. Get whichever one is available to you. They are basically the same.

Filter
  • S8M500
  • CCP520
  • Quad D.E. 100

I prefer a cartridge or DE filter. Either one you have listed will work. Have you read...

Lights

I know nothing about that light.

Controller

What heat pump do you have?

No automation panel will control the pool cover for safety reasons.

With the IntelliFlo pump you should look at the Pentair automation systems...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.